NEW TO SNOWMOBILING RECOMMENDATIONS REQUESTED PLEASE AND THANKS 😊

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
You should join doo talk forums. Lots of info on trail riding there.
Ya, this is a site that no one rides trails just mountains and you wont get any information your lookin for, I suggest you go another site like Doo talk, Not!, We welcome you here, many people will answer your questions, 50% of the people here are trail riders. And they ride all types of machines and are very helpful.

Kiandra

Reaction score
Ya, this is a site that no one rides trails just mountains and you wont get any information your lookin for, I suggest you go another site like Doo talk, Not!, We welcome you here, many people will answer your questions, 50% of the people here are trail riders. And they ride all types of machines and are very helpful.
Thanks 😊

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been much of a trail rider for a few years, mostly mountain for me. But I would be looking for some of the fan cooled sleds for they are lighter. IMO don't let people convince you that a 800 is required,go to a 600 ( for they are lighter), horsepower dosen't make a rider learning to ride takes time. Have suspension set for your weight for I see too many times people try someones sled and hate it but the suspension isn't set for their weight. Suspension will make a huge difference for you on handling and what you can do.
I'm 5.5 and 140lbs and most other peoples sled the suspension would make it tougher for me to handle so this could also be a issue for you on your husbands sled. Suspension set up for your weight and type of riding you are going to do is a very huge factor for how it handles for you. Also if suspension is set up proper for your weight you will find your not fighting the machine and won't be as tired or sore at the end of the day.
As rknight mentioned don't be afraid to ask questions here. To me ask and you will learn. All types of riders here

Kiandra

Reaction score
I haven't been much of a trail rider for a few years, mostly mountain for me. But I would be looking for some of the fan cooled sleds for they are lighter. IMO don't let people convince you that a 800 is required,go to a 600 ( for they are lighter), horsepower dosen't make a rider learning to ride takes time. Have suspension set for your weight for I see too many times people try someones sled and hate it but the suspension isn't set for their weight. Suspension will make a huge difference for you on handling and what you can do.
I'm 5.5 and 140lbs and most other peoples sled the suspension would make it tougher for me to handle so this could also be a issue for you on your husbands sled. Suspension set up for your weight and type of riding you are going to do is a very huge factor for how it handles for you. Also if suspension is set up proper for your weight you will find your not fighting the machine and won't be as tired or sore at the end of the day.
As rknight mentioned don't be afraid to ask questions here. To me ask and you will learn. All types of riders here
Ok thanks for the info

Ghfalls

Reaction score
I got my wife a 2020 summit x 800 146” with e start and a big windshield. She loves it. It’s quick, stable, does well in deep snow and I picked it up with 1000km for $5000. She came from an old mountain max and it was a huge upgrade for her.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion but maybe rent a sled or go on a guided tour, buying all this stuff is a lot if your physical condition is going to be a limiting factor. You will get stuck eventually and have to deal with that. My 2c.

Outdoors

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should consider the "must haves" on your sled, for me it's gotta have reverse,hand warmers,electric start,really good suspension travel,windshield,ability to carry some cargo.......all sleds are heavy,there isn't one you can lift so you gotta get good at driving one.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Late model Crossfire 500. Would be a great all around sled with a comfortable ride. Reliable and easy to look after. Otherwise I agree on a 500 model fan cooled some have mentoined. Just my opinion.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Twin Turbo apex. YOLO.

Or this LS swap might be an option too.

1707058931933.png

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be driving primarily on trails so just trying to figure out what would be good for me, but be able to move it if need be without too much struggle and be able to steer without having to lean too much. Thanks for the suggestion. Also I didn't realize this forum was more for mountain climbing, which I would not be doing at all.

Greenthumb gave you solid advice. Regardless of the location of the forum, or its chosen use, a snowmobile is still a snowmobile. Dootalk does have alot of trail forums.
I Suggest a fan cooled sled for now, since you are starting out. There are also things your dealer or your Husband can do to make the sled easier to ride. Suspension setup can make any sled steer heavy, there are also products out there like ez steer carbide runners for certain styles of skis.
A skidoo tundra is another, they are actually pretty fun sleds to ride and bomb around on.
You previously mentioned the sleds you currently own, maybe try to get one of those sleds setup for you and your weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tundra twin track

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Greenthumb gave you solid advice. Regardless of the location of the forum, or its chosen use, a snowmobile is still a snowmobile. Dootalk does have alot of trail forums.
I Suggest a fan cooled sled for now, since you are starting out. There are also things your dealer or your Husband can do to make the sled easier to ride. Suspension setup can make any sled steer heavy, there are also products out there like ez steer carbide runners for certain styles of skis.
The skidoo neo for example is a good fan cooled sled, a skidoo tundra is another, they are actually pretty fun sleds to ride and bomb around on.
You previously mentioned the sleds you currently own, maybe try to get one of those sleds setup for you and your weight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree 100% on the fancooled sled to learn on,I do belief the Neo is a detuned 600 Liquid in Gen 4 chassis.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% on the fancooled sled to learn on,I do belief the Neo is a detuned 600 Liquid in Gen 4 chassis.

Oops, You are right, both Neos are liquid cooled. I thought the 40hp unit was a fan and the 55 was the liquid.
I edited my mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I taught the wife to mountain ride. We started her on a RMK 600. I narrowed the stance and put on clicker shocks and softened them up for her. She was able to move it on the trail and learned to ride in the powder. When she was confident at wide open throttle with the 600 she moved up to a 800.

As much as I love Polaris if I could do it again it would be on a Doo for her. She rides Doo better than Polaris. The ‘tipiness’ of the G4 chassis is excellent for women riders vs the Polaris IMO.

Good luck!

Top Bottom