Compaction in Managed Snowmobile Areas. When and How to Communicate it? Thoughts?

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured its getting time to start getting a bit more serious about the upcoming season. Below is an article I wrote for the Avalanche Journal regarding the many "affects" of snow compaction. This issue is real, and is affecting your safety and backcountry experience whether you know it or not. It is a very large and difficult topic that is not often talked about so I took a stab at it. These are just my thoughts and opinions and I am posting this to see what others have thought on this topic. Please criticize, comment and share away!

Is consistent and widespread use of more popular managed snowmobile areas creating a growing and dangerous sense of over experience and self-confidence in mountain terrain?

British Columbia is home to approximately 102 snowmobile areas that are classified as Managed. This means they are operated and overseen by local organizations and clubs in partnership with Recreation Sites and Trails BC, a department of the Ministry of Forest Lands and Natural Resource Operations.

Outside pressures, like the species at risk and conflicts over land use are ultimately limiting motorized (snowmobile) access to the many areas of the open backcountry. As access to BC’s backcountry is becoming more restricted, the snowmobiling public more likely to utilize these managed recreational snowmobile areas.

The word “managed” may be a bit misleading. The typical agreement has local clubs or organizations maintaining a groomed trail only that may or may not lead to an alpine shelter as its final destination. Many of these access trails are mechanically groomed and are access points to a variety of areas including treeline and alpine terrain. These “play” areas can see very heavy use by snowmobilers of all ages and riding abilities although there is no form of management beyond the end of the access trail

Naturally some of these areas are quite busier than others and some can see hundreds of users over any given weekend. Regular winter season use of these areas can begin as early as the beginning to mid November and continue on well in to May.

One of the areas in the province I am most experienced with is Allen Creek. This a very large area that is bound on all sides by legislated wildlife closures, leaving boundaries are quite clear. At times, especially during periods of extended drought, fresh lines can be difficult to find. Allen Creek is likely considered one of the most frequented managed snowmobile areas in Western Canada. The area holds a large mix of accessible terrain with ATES classifications ranging from non-avalanche terrain simple, challenging and complex areas. All 90 of the managed areas around British Columbia have seen ATES mapping through multi-year projects between Avalanche Canada and Rec Sites and Trails BC.

Allen Creek holds the same features of any high alpine mountain environment, and it is not uncommon after a busy week to see 80% of the terrain within the area’s relatively large boundaries resembling a parking lot with every morsel of recently fallen snow being absolutely steam rolled. This phenomenon continues from the inception of the snowy season (mid November) to the last round of rides from the average recreationalist typically ending in late April or early May depending on the year.

Compaction of the annual snowpack within the areas boundaries is extensive. At times of infrequent snowfall there is little terrain left untouched. This includes slopes of 45-50 degrees plus including concavities, convexities, creek beds gullies, all aspects and elevations treeline and above.

Over the last eight seasons of frequenting these areas multiple times a week and having to regularly search for that elusive unaffected location for stability tests and a quick profile, I have started to spend a significant amount of time thinking about the effects of compaction in these popular public snowmobiling areas. Extensive compaction from snowmobiles not only has relevance to stability and avalanche hazard but it also exerts an influence on the riders in the form of what we commonly refer to as “Human Factors” such as familiarity and consistency.

As riders are becoming more skilled and pushing the technical limits of their sport o be it strictly snowmobiling or snowmobile assisted ski touring, it is becoming more difficult to find a location within Allen Creek (and many other managed snowmobile areas) that hasn’t met the demise of a seasons worth of sled or ski traffic. When I am able to find an untouched location, I begin to wonder….is it truly representative of the overall snowpack condition within the region?

As an area representative, acting as the general manager and avalanche technician for the local snowmobile organization and operating a local snowmobile backcountry guiding and avalanche education business, I try to regularly convey important local information relating the snowpack and riding conditions within these managed areas to our users via email lists, social media and general correspondence.

I often think about the effects of compaction within these popular areas. Managed snowmobile areas throughout British Columbia receive hundreds if not thousands user days per weekend and many thousands per season. This does have a profound effect on the snowpack and the avalanche hazard within these regions and is likely a contributing factor why we don’t see more incidents involving snowmobilers given the nature of the terrain they travel in. The majority of the snowpack within managed areas is simply compacted to such an extent that it behaves more like a modified snowpack than that of the less frequented backcountry.

Much of the publics riding is in, or travels through complex terrain. Any given winter day in BC, there are non-guided, recreational snowmobilers with unknown levels of training moving through large expanses of alpine terrain. Thankfully there are minimal reported avalanche statistics be it a simple involvement or a fatal accident.

A few key questions come to mind regarding these managed public areas, the snowmobile use they see and the compaction that results.

Is the presence of extensive compaction in these heavily used managed areas resulting in non-event feedback that is potentially developing a growing and dangerous sense of over experience and self-confidence in mountain terrain?

Should this change how we message to riders within specific regions?

As professionals, how do we start to understand the role of compaction in these areas?

When do we address this growing and likely inaccurate sense of self-confidence and complacency?

If we do not openly discuss the idea of compaction within these areas and the potential of its benefits and dangers, are we withholding potentially life saving information?

Should we communicate the effects of compaction in the public bulletin?

My personal feeling is yes, but how?

From my experience over the last eight years of observations, the heavily used managed recreational areas are providing a safer experience, with reduced avalanche hazard due to mechanical compaction. My feeling is that we address the idea, in greater fashion. We can make our public avalanche safety programs stronger by recognizing and addressing the extensive compaction that regularly occurs at managed snowmobile areas.

The question looms, how is this message most effectively delivered?

Although, not everyone chooses to utilize managed areas. Recreational users may seek out more elusive and secluded areas where the idea of regular compaction over a very large common area is no longer the case. This decision may come with time and the individual’s progression and experience level in the activity, or simply from a desire to find that elusive fresh track in times of low snowfall, or ultimately they could simply be following a blind desire to go off the beaten path even though the experience level may not be there. There are many human factors that influence us all, especially new comers to mountainous terrain.

Due to the intense use, managed areas may be best looked at and discussed as a stepping stone to becoming more experienced with mountain terrain, to increase personal snowpack assessment and general backcountry skills before moving into large, more natural snowpacks that arguably present a greater hazard.

As instructors, mentors and educators when should compaction in regards to managed snowmobile areas come into conversation? Currently there is nothing (that I have seen) addressing the idea that popular managed recreation areas may be safer due to the compaction phenomenon. There are many points that could be argued and all need a focused attention, although I have seen the benefits of compaction within these areas for many years.

I believe our lessons and correspondence to the recreational snowmobile community need to address a stronger message on the impacts of compaction in these heavily frequented areas. Even if the message is simply that on a high hazard day, a managed area may provide you with a safer experience than untouched and raw backcountry.

How could we effectively convey this message without causing more harm than good?

Thank you for reading. If you feel strongly about this idea one way or another, I encourage feedback and information sharing and would happily engage in further discussion. Curtis@frozenpirate.com

Ride safe

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are on point for a good discussion. I often see this in my own group of friends both skiers and snowmobilers. It is often difficult to spread the understanding when pushing out of these managed areas that the snow is different. As a back country skier and sledder we are often stepping out of the managed area and have to pay more attention to that fact. I often see the complacency that can go along with managed areas that can bite you if you are not paying attention. As you suggest though they do provide a safer alternative than exploring, but because they are compacted it sometimes give that false sense of security for the novice.
One thing that is often said in many avy courses is that compaction doesn't necessarily make it safer; is this something that needs to change? I like where you are going with this article

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"One thing that is often said in many avy courses is that compaction doesn't necessarily make it safer; is this something that needs to change? I like where you are going with this article"

YES, but it needs to be communicated effectively and carefully as to avoid doing more harm than good. I bring this up in all of my teaching sessions as an awareness tool.

All the things we learn are simply tools that we need to put in a kit. There is not one single piece of info that is better than the rest. But
with a good tool kit and experience using each tool, we can become more aware and make more educated decisions. Mountain sledding needs to transition from what has been referred to as "Russian Roulette" to a more systematic approach to consistent and informed decision making in the backcountry.

froitz

Reaction score
Change is what it is.not good or bad. I think most of us old farts that used these areas before grooming and management wish we could go back.there was a time when getting to the hillclimb hill took all day.you could find fresh snow on every trip,day after day.no the machines didn't work even close to what we have now.maybe that was a good thing.but the reality is without management of our areas they probably would have been closed years ago.if we move out of these managed areas it will only fuel the fodder for the greens.so to your point Curtis,compaction is here to stay.and something we all need to understand better.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear what your saying and I agree. However when we read an avy report I feel it should reflect the worse that is out there so that we can make responsible decisions based on the conditions and area we choose to ride. Yes, the packing of the snow makes it safer, but there is no way for a rider to now how much a certain area has been packed. Therefore I feel it must be taught that we need to assume the worst.

We could however teach that we need to dig more than one pit. Lets be honest just how many of us do this, most Im sure use there sled as the shovel.

I hope I read your post correctly and haven't gone sideways in my thinking.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. The question is not so much is compaction making the snow safer(it sure can) but as there are just too many variables it is just too uncertain of a topic.

Addressing the fact that compaction does happen extensively within managed areas and then discussing the heuristic factors is what is most important to me. If a rider exclusively rides these heavily used managed areas, could they be developing bad habits and a sense of overconfidence due to potentially disturbed or more stable snowpack as a result of compaction.

Just think of the slope angles and aspects of some of the more commonly ridden slopes within these managed areas and then imagine finding them in an untouched dreamland way off in the distant backcountry. Would they be treated the same? Would you treat them the same? Would a less experienced person treat it the same? What is different?

"There are things you know you know, then there are things you know you do not know, but there are also things that you dont know you dont know..."

Last edited:

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct. The question is not so much is compaction making the snow safer(it sure can) but as there are just too many variables it is just too uncertain of a topic.

Addressing the fact that compaction does happen extensively within managed areas and then discussing the heuristic factors is what is most important to me. If a rider exclusively rides these heavily used managed areas, could they be developing bad habits and a sense of overconfidence due to potentially disturbed or more stable snowpack as a result of compaction.

Just think of the slope angles and aspects of some of the more commonly ridden slopes within these managed areas and then imagine finding them in an untouched dreamland way off in the distant backcountry. Would they be treated the same? Would you treat them the same? Would a less experienced person treat it the same? What is different?

"There are things you know you know, then there are things you know you do not know, but there are also things that you dont know you dont know..."

I still agree, and I must say when I ride my beaten path I know where the masses pile up and almost like clock work the same hills or areas get beaten up (compacted) first and then the the circle widens. The problem lies in where are these compacted areas. I can take you to a spot where a lot of riders frequent, however just 200ft across the same ridge or to the right, you can make pull and cause a slide. So is this still classified as a compacted area or dreamland?

I like the path your going down, don't get me wrong. I still think that the rookie rider needs to be educated to understand the worst could happen in the compacted areas or a least right there beside them. The problem is how does even a seasoned rider know if he is riding on a 4ft powder layer on top of a 15ft compacted base, if he has never ridden this area before or never seen it.

I have ridden in high to extreme avalanche conditions, but I don't ride outside of my known areas. In these days I am and will ride the compacted areas. This along comes down to experience and this can't be taught in a classroom. What could be taught would be hard and would require a newbie rider to dig a lot of pits to understand what a compacted snow base would look like and man would that be some hard digging. I doubt it would happen so it leads us back to this.

A newbie rider uneducated and careless may end up in a bad situation because of stupidity. He didn't take a simple AST 1 Course to educated himself and he's hasn't asked himself what he is willing to risk in his life. A newbie rider who has taken the course and has asked himself what he's willing to lose in life won't take the risk based on the worst case avy report. He will over time gain experience and will learn what you and I are talking about as we have made decisions based on experience. I think the educated won't push the envelope knowing what could happen because it has scared them. I know two people who quit riding in the backcountry after taking a AST 1 course because they felt the risk was to high. They had ridden for more then a few years prior. I think because it wasn't worth the risk to them.

let me ask you this, When you decide to check out a complete new area (never seen before)will you do this in high to extreme Avalanche condition. If you do, I'm certain your training will kick in and you will make decisions based on experience.

Experience can not be taught in a classroom. A classroom will gain you experience.

Curtis, I think it has to many variables and can't be taught. Its something that you gain overtime.

I urge anybody and everybody who frequents the backcountry to get at least AST 1 certified. You owe it to your family, and loved ones.

ratatatat

Reaction score
Curtis,

Great to see you inspiring these conversations. Nothing new in the avalanche business. Ski areas have dealt with this since day one with avalanche education. Should be discussed in every ast 1 sled course and if not should be brought up and added to the course through the ast providers meetings. Safer ? sometimes but certainly not always. You need an understanding of persistent weak layers and deep slab instability. A few years back a slope that had regular snowcat traffic slid at Blackcomb and that is not the first. A bit my concern with some ast courses trying to make it simple when it's just not. You know my background with rac/ast and certainly we are better off than we were when we got started. Need to continue to improve both the courses and the knowledge of the instructors.
Randy Stevens

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curtis,

Great to see you inspiring these conversations. Nothing new in the avalanche business. Ski areas have dealt with this since day one with avalanche education. Should be discussed in every ast 1 sled course and if not should be brought up and added to the course through the ast providers meetings. Safer ? sometimes but certainly not always. You need an understanding of persistent weak layers and deep slab instability. A few years back a slope that had regular snowcat traffic slid at Blackcomb and that is not the first. A bit my concern with some ast courses trying to make it simple when it's just not. You know my background with rac/ast and certainly we are better off than we were when we got started. Need to continue to improve both the courses and the knowledge of the instructors.
Randy Stevens

Hi Randy. Great to see you on here. Inspiring discussion is exactly what this post was about and the reason I placed it in this Thread. I was hoping to get more views and frankly more discussion. There are many words that can or should not be used when discussing this topic. My intention was simply to inspire people to think and discuss. I would love to see more of these kinds of discussions in forums like this. They build interest and encourage discussion and further education.

I really enjoyed participating in the panel discussion at ISSW (International Snow Science Workshop) and that inspired me to bring this topic into the sled world as it was never discussed in any great amount in much of my training. I do discuss it a lot in my Ast courses, but more from the human factor side of false confidence and experience in mountain terrain.

Hopefully this thread stays active for a while and we get some good dialogue. Thanks again for chiming in.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for starting the thread and a well written article. On those (unfortunately rare) occasions I have been out to the Kakwa, I tend to be as cautious as possible. Part of this is being very wary of, almost to the point of avoiding, hills and spend most of my time in the many bowls and meadows the area has. Basically I just love being out in places I would never otherwise see. I typically do not go on anything that does not have some tracks but I know that is not much of a guarantee beyond someone else didn't have a problem. My biggest safeguard (beyond equipment) is riding with people well experienced in the sport and with the area.

I am curious about the bonding in packed layers. The layers still exist so is it possible that they can still fracture under changing weather conditions or do they just stick together?

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Certain layers will stick around. I will try and find a picture from a euro ski area a few years ago. Major slope right below chair lift. Skied all day long by hundreds of people and at the end of the day still skis on a persistent layer. It was a slope that gets skied everyday.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a subject I talk about regularly with our crew ...

compacted layers can prove to be a sliding layer. think of a heavily tracked slope, add a spring melt freeze cycle and then a few feet of fresh snow. it just wont bond well. I would assume step down is unlikely, right? but april and may hot days, evdrthing wants to slide.
a few years ago at kicking horse I watched a wet slab step down to ground under stair way to hevan chair. started as a point release on a heavily groomed slope. apirl 14 if I remember correctly. they groom it all season!

the other issue is guys that ride a main area like quartz creek go to an area that sees minimal sled traffic like old man. I call it the quartz creek mind set. they brapp wot ever, where ever. is it thier fault they dont know the history of that slope. I'm not going to go over there and tell white oakley wearing tats out roid junkies they should be more respectfull of teh mtns. how does the community deal with this issue. we see it quite a bit. its their last day and they found fresh pow !!!

explaining the danger of gully walls in virgin terrain just goes strait over the heads of many guys. sure it may only be 10m high. but it might not have seen sun since september. etc etc etc ...

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am NO expert by any means, but I've been riding the mountains for 20 years. In that time I've seen an increase in traffic by at least 200%, and the riders are getting younger, and going further with the progression of factory built iron and longer tracks. Snow compaction in popular riding areas is definitely on the rise. What worries me most is that there are a bunch of sledders with AST courses under their belts, yet I see VERY few pits dug in the back country, minimal survival gear being carried as to save weight, and a general consensus of "Well, there's tracks there, so it must be ok"... Nothing could be further from the truth, especially in spring riding conditions.
IMHO, one of the MOST important things to watch over the course of a season is weather and wind patterns, specifically large temperature swings and long periods of heavy or no snowfall (and rain). Checking the snow pack is essential, regardless whether it is the road less traveled or not...
Hats off to those who do spend the time to check and evaluate snow pack conditions, and try to provide an accurate probability of avalanches for those of us who simply don't know or take the time to evaluate the conditions for ourselves.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Excellent thread! I have forwarded it onto government of Alberta personnel involved in Public Land Management, as they are tasked with recreational use there. I believe you have an excellent article, food for thought, and show an experienced eye on these snow matters. Thank you!

geo

Reaction score
Noble effort but IMO an impossible task. I'm not saying you shouldn't try though.

Trying to teach respect of the mountains to the masses is very difficult to say the least. You just have to read of the overload on SAR in the lower mainland from people who just go for a walk.
Our sport has many more variables from nature and many variables in ability and machinery. You can define and refine the variables all you want but it still seems the mountain has to earn the respect from some instead of the other way around.

I'm one of the old guys who miss the way it was and I am sure if some of the younger guys could experience it they would be envious of the lesser traffic times. I'd say stop grooming, dis-assemble the cabins at the top and build a bar at the parking lot. Those that can eat lunch under a tree and look ahead for a way up instead of following a track will safely expand the compacted zone as the season progresses and those that are unprepared and don't understand why the mountain needs respect will soon head down and enjoy the bar.

You have to have a lot of the right kind of desire to ride 10 miles of 4 foot whoops. It's one of the first lessons the mountain can teach before you even reach the alpine. Don't follow, find your own line.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a wicked discussion thanks for this.

Id like to say that when my group goes out we always follow t the condition updates. Snow compaction of never a factor I've personally added to my formula. That being said I don't think it ever will be, if it's bad we just steer clear of the potential problem areas. No questions asked. I will say one nice thing about the managed areas is there's is usually others near in case of an incident. Usually when I and my buddies are alone in some of our secret spots I feel the level of awareness becomes the maximum and no risks are to be taken for even the best untouched snow. Like geo said we as riders need to give the hills respect, when neglected its only a matter of time that we pay our dues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I would not agree with putting out the idea to sledders/skiers in general that a compacted area may be safer than an untouched one. In some instances I believe that an untouched area or one that has minimal traffic is less prone to the effects of the sun and temperature due to the insulating value of undisturbed snow. A compacted area with the sun beating on it may be more unstable at 3 PM than one that has not been ridden on. There are just too many variables to consider. For the average weekend warrior who may or may not have AST courses I would certainly want to error on the side of caution in any reports. While it's great that the mountain snowmobile community has embraced avalanche training there are still too many people who feel they are bullet proof just because they have all the gear and read the report. Just my nickels worth in this discussion.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome discussion guys. The original writeup was not stating that we need to preach managed areas are "safer", it was more to the point that there is a very large potential for people to develop bad habits over years of strictly managed area riding as typically these areas are heavily ridden and have a modified snow pack (lets use modified instead of compacted). It could then be said that when they travel to more remote areas, these bad habits may be a factor in their decision making process.

Thats the reasoning for the "when and how to communicate it" part. We understand its a very difficult topic to address but the unawareness or ignorance of a novice mountain rider may contribute to bad decision making. The more info we share the better. It may actually emphasize the complexity of backcountry decision making.

Top Bottom