2014 Yamaha Viper

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Food for thought.....

I'm on the fence about ordering a viper, or an xm. My local Yamaha dealer absolutely flat out rocks, and his service means a lot. You really need to spend a day on a 4 stroke. Some love it and some dispise it. So don't buy one because your dealer is good if its going to hamper your fun level while on the hill

The mountain hasn't changed. For the most part, neither have the riders. I, and I'm sure most of you, have ridden multiple machines in the hills. Its interesting to note that 15 years ago, I started in the mountains with a bone stock 96 powder special. Arguably one of the worst sleds ever. Had a friggin BLAST.

Then, I switched to a number of 700 rmks, and had a blast.

Then, I bought a m8. Had a friggin blast.

I'm all for brand bashing and brand loyalty, but in the end, I think we all ride because ITS A BLAST! Most fun you can have with your pants on. Guaranteed.

That being said, I, for one, will be thinking long and hard about buying one of these, having a dealer that absolutely ROCKS, and still having a blast on a sled that I'm sure will still be better than that pos cat I had.

In my mind, its the ride that matters. Not the sled.

Bash away. Just something to think about.

I 100% agree with you however certain riding styles are physically impossible on a 4 stroke so myself would not be able to make the switch regardless of how good the dealer was. However I could be swayed either way with the 2 strokes if my dealer switched teams. You really need to ride a 4 stroke for a day some love them some hate them.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay enough bitchen Women.... Look at the upside "Closed Loop" now this is exciting for the opportunist out there for boost applications as this is a first for Yamaha. I'm certain that is all part of the future plan ... The complainers will always be there however that is just a fact of life.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I 100% agree with you however certain riding styles are physically impossible on a 4 stroke so myself would not be able to make the switch regardless of how good the dealer was. However I could be swayed either way with the 2 strokes if my dealer switched teams.
WHAT???????MAXWELL could be persuaded to switch teams???????

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay enough bitchen Women.... Look at the upside "Closed Loop" now this is exciting for the opportunist out there for boost applications as this is a first for Yamaha. I'm certain that is all part of the future plan ... The complainers will always be there however that is just a fact of life.

Who cares really. There is no lightweight fun factor 2 stroke in this lineup therefor 80% of riders don't care. Most don't want heavy and want nothing to do with boost and that means Yamaha has nothing for them.

vjc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat builds the chassis', Yamaha builds the motors. Less development and R&D for both so... both win. Not hard to understand. Obviously they partnered with Cat and not Doo for a reason (Poo doesn't have a chassis that can accept a 4 stroke motor). Cat chassis is durable and so is Yammy's motor. Yamaha gets a way better chassis to match the powerplant.

People can squwakkkk about market share for sales but when you build a sled that lasts you don't need to sell a million of them each year because you're not building a disposable sled (i.e. the KIA of snowmobiles) that you toss out or have to rebuild after 2 seasons. You gain overall # of sleds on the snow because they aren't worn out after 3000 kms....or breaking suspensions at 300 kms.....or starting on fire.

Yamaha is offering the sled at MSRP of $12,649, cheaper than the 800 ETEC MXZ and will last 10 times as long with only minimal chassis maintenance.

:perfect10::perfect10::perfect10::perfect10::perfect10::perfect10::perfect10::perfect10::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I 100% agree with you however certain riding styles are physically impossible on a 4 stroke so myself would not be able to make the switch regardless of how good the dealer was. However I could be swayed either way with the 2 strokes if my dealer switched teams. You really need to ride a 4 stroke for a day some love them some hate them.

I have. Its definitely different. But I can adapt.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who cares really. There is no lightweight fun factor 2 stroke in this lineup therefor 80% of riders don't care. Most don't want heavy and want nothing to do with boost and that means Yamaha has nothing for them.

Exactly this thing could have 500 hp and I still would have nothing to do with it because for the riding I like to do it is just too heavy. If I had 2000 miles of groomed trails out my back door like the guys in the east I would have a good long look at it.

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh boy.....

C66C8F9B-661A-4293-A931-57BFFD541A65-3612-0000027A8172A3BF_zps47b2eb4a.jpg

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Showed my buddy who owns two 2013 cats, pics of this new Yamaha. Now he wants to quit sledding or buy a Polaris for next season.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can fire up 3 cigarettes in my trailer or 1 fatty guess which sleds smoke you out of the trailer first. i would think if they are meeting the emmisions standards they might have to do something in the near future to secure there 2 smoke lineup
Fixed it for you & no you cannot ever borrow my cat!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

bourgon

Reaction score
What was worn out on it? The motor or the entire sled?No Warranty? Shitty deal... If you happenen to be throwing out your disposible sleds Ill take them off your hands for you.

Motor blew clutch and computer all in the same month

vjc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee you will see alot of these sleds out there in the hills, stretched and running huge turbos! You can bet there's one at CR Racing already...........

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee you will see alot of these sleds out there in the hills, stretched and running huge turbos! You can bet there's one at CR Racing already...........
Chad will stretch and boost an elan if you have the cash. you saying Swenny has his hands on one already?

Top Bottom