2014 Yamaha Viper

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL great post. I agree, same reason my buddy loves his, with the right mods and set up there is not much of a difference when riding, just gotta get used to the engine braking.....LOL He has no problems tossing that thing around and boondocking it like a lighter sled.

We all know who says they don't work in the hills and no one can ride them, and they're just flat out wrong.
I think the big point here is that most people aren't going to be able to afford to drop almost 30K to make one the sled they can comfortably ride in all conditions. sure you can buy a used one for less than half of that, but you are missing out on any warranty a new sled affords.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping cats running yammie engines. If the make a factory boost 200-220 with a 162" I'd have one one on order. This sled is half of what it should of been.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the big point here is that most people aren't going to be able to afford to drop almost 30K to make one the sled they can comfortably ride in all conditions. sure you can buy a used one for less than half of that, but you are missing out on any warranty a new sled affords.

easier to spend 30k once every 6-7yrs then 15k every 2-3 yrs

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The guys that are going to mod sleds will mod anything they buy. There will be lots of folks that buy them and leave them stock. there will be the exceptions that will outride the modded sleds with stock sleds.
point is, if the a sled fits a rider, or riding style, he will be able to make it shine. I personally hate late model skuds. Can't seem to get the hang of them. also kills me to pour oil into the SOB everytime I want to ride.

4 stroke rule!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping cats running yammie engines. If the make a factory boost 200-220 with a 162" I'd have one one on order. This sled is half of what it should of been

agreed. I am ready for my new Yammy....but this Viper thing ain't what I had in mind at all.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guys that are going to mod sleds will mod anything they buy. There will be lots of folks that buy them and leave them stock. there will be the exceptions that will outride the modded sleds with stock sleds.
point is, if the a sled fits a rider, or riding style, he will be able to make it shine. I personally hate late model skuds. Can't seem to get the hang of them. also kills me to pour oil into the SOB everytime I want to ride.

4 stroke rule!
Must be such pain in the a$$ to fill them up with gasoline as well. I don't know how you handle it.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed. I am ready for my new Yammy....but this Viper thing ain't what I had in mind at all.

never liked the nytro platform. but im sure when alls said and done. and enough money spent. the viper will rock.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also hope you can choose whether its vertical steering or not. I really can't stand vertical steering. Would of been nice like Dave said if it was offered in a mountain model. Be nice if yamaha offered something that was compatible to cats 1100 that you could stand to drive stock if you wanted, and be comparable to the rest of the brands. I do think this chassis will handle a lot better than the nytro as it should have a lot lower center of gravity to it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Could be argued that most people who buy new sleds do so to get warranty primarily on the engine in a 2 stroke application. Warranty is not as much of an issue with a powerplant designed to last 100,000 kms so buy one for half price.

I look at a sled purchase as an investment. Cat and Yammy partnerning puts more sleds on the snow and makes it easier for the aftermarket companies to build parts for because they fit 2 different brands now. Also, I think Yammy and Cat (and Poo to some degree) both did it right by building sleds (Apex/Vector and M series) for many years on the same platform, just with different models or displacements. This means lots of parts still available for these sleds and should be for many years to come. Also that they retain the resale value better. Doo continually hurts the resale of their sleds be releasing the "latest and greatest" every few years or model specific chassis'. Also, they don't keep tooling up for parts for the older models, so guys with ZX and even Rev chassis', will soon find their parts supply diminishing, just as the S chassis' did.

Charging more for the new models (either to raise resale or increase profit) doesn't help either when consumers buy a cheaper brand that maybe didn't have all the "innovation" costs associated with it. Being able to drop costs as Yammy and Cat have done in their supply partnership also will benefit both as stated previously, but also means that production of parts for both has also dropped, and therefore dropped for the consumer. When "Company X" tools up to run idler wheels for the proclimb seriers, they are also tooling up for Yamaha's Viper series now too. Mass production = lower costs, which translates back to the consumer.

It can be argued that while a dealer makes profit on a sled sale, they also make profit on parts and service if you have a large number of sleds on the snow and many customers requiring "maintenance" parts etc, your company can be just as profitable, even though you might be last or almost last in official new model sales. Its not just about who sold the most within a given year.

Contrary to Maxwell's opinion, not everyone wants or has the financial ability to buy a new sled year after year and take the massive hit on depreciation associated with recreational toys, regardless of how many miles you put on or what your level of enjoyment is during that time. If guys can afford it and want to do it, great, more power to them. But to throw out arbitray numbers and say things like "XX% of people want this or that" is simply a fallacy. Not one of the guys I ride with buys a new sled every year, more like every 5 yrs, and even the guy that can afford it, still doesn't, he is riding his 06 Rev he bought......in 06! Not one of us own a brand new sled (ok that's not entirely true.... one guy bought a hold over 2010 in late spring of 2011 for a smoking deal, it was new as in never been ridden, but not "new" at the time). These are the guys buying parts and service, and putting $$$ in the dealers pockets that way.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also hope you can choose whether its vertical steering or not. I really can't stand vertical steering. Would of been nice like Dave said if it was offered in a mountain model. Be nice if yamaha offered something that was compatible to cats 1100 that you could stand to drive stock if you wanted, and be comparable to the rest of the brands. I do think this chassis will handle a lot better than the nytro as it should have a lot lower center of gravity to it.
Yamahas and Doos are horizontal steering. Cat and Polaris are vertical.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
mtn sleds sales are 30% of the market. hardly a VERY VERY small percentage of sales. in 2011 the pro rmk sold more than all other sleds in every segment, that is huge. you can bet your azz every manufacturer would love to make that claim.

That quote is pretty accurate... But I can tell you 100% that sure isnt true around these parts I would say we are more like 80% to 85% at least!

Top Bottom