you can put a deck on a 2015 f150......

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3704lbs payload 2014 dodge 3500 crew cab get a mans truck leave the 1/2 tonnes for the girls!!
I used to have a similar attitude. Look at how far one tons have come, a few years ago a guy would have been dreaming to be able to legally tow or haul what you can with them now. Why is it such a stretch to imagine that the half tons have advanced a lot as well?

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 2014 8200 gvw f150 and had a 2010 7200 gvw before that, I can tell you the 8200 is not about what you hear in a commercial it is a heavy duty half ton, heavier semi floating axle, heavy brakes, thicker frame, heavy wheels, and takes 2200lbs in the box without issue and is legal at that. The arguing is from people who have a misconception about what a half ton label means, these are not like half tons from even five years ago they are rated for and will take the weight they are legal for and be safe at that. Nice thing is I can pack 2000 lbs all day and with an ecoboost burn 2/3rds the full of a gas 3/4.
I sold my Ecoboost so that I could "legally" carry 2000lbs. I bought an F250. I had the heavy GVW package on the F150, the carrying capacity of the F150 is limited by the GAVR of the rear axle NOT the GVWR. This has nothing to do with 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton.

Open the door, look at the weight tag (GAVW and GVWR), go to the scales and weigh each axle individually. Subtract the rear axle weight from the rear axle GAVW and you will find about 1000lbs of carrying capacity. Just that simple. Anything above the difference is not legal. Two people, a full tank of fuel and a bit of gear and your F150 is good for about 800lbs.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
open the door, look at the weight tag (gavw and gvwr), go to the scales and weigh each axle individually. Subtract the rear axle weight from the rear axle gavw and you will find about 1000lbs of carrying capacity. Just that simple. Anything above the difference is not legal. Two people, a full tank of fuel and a bit of gear and your f150 is good for about 800lbs.

that's exactly the point, but there are those that don't believe or want to believe.... Either way, insurance will take a deft ear to an insurance claim if there is any question a to weight carrying capabilities.... Seen it several times now, with welding rigs overloading 1/2 and 3/4 tons :(

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sold my Ecoboost so that I could "legally" carry 2000lbs. I bought an F250. I had the heavy GVW package on the F150, the carrying capacity of the F150 is limited by the GAVR of the rear axle NOT the GVWR. This has nothing to do with 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton.

Open the door, look at the weight tag (GAVW and GVWR), go to the scales and weigh each axle individually. Subtract the rear axle weight from the rear axle GAVW and you will find about 1000lbs of carrying capacity. Just that simple. Anything above the difference is not legal. Two people, a full tank of fuel and a bit of gear and your F150 is good for about 800lbs.

Are you an idiot? rear axle is gawr is 4800lbs, truck weighs 6000 1/2 fuel and 50lbs gear weighed on scale, bias is 55 front 45 rear, 45% of 6000 is 2700lbs, leaves 2100 payload on rear axle not accounting for the weight in the box when loaded that is ahead of the axle and is distributing weight on the front axle.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a 2011 HD F150 1 1/2 years ago and did a full test on it. Here is the link.

https://www.snowandmud.com/tow-vehi...50-heavy-duty-payload-capabilities-80749.html

Totally road legal for a Regular Cab 4x4. Now, with the weight reduction of the aluminum body the Extended and Super Cabs are probably legal.

Used the truck all last winter with no issues...feels just as good as my buddies 2500 Duramax short box.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to have a similar attitude. Look at how far one tons have come, a few years ago a guy would have been dreaming to be able to legally tow or haul what you can with them now. Why is it such a stretch to imagine that the half tons have advanced a lot as well?

Because one tons weigh 7000-9900 lbs empty, truck to load ratio is much smaller. Weighed my one ton deck and it was 4450 kg empty with full fuel and a driver... 300 kgs off from my "math"

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is the best post in here.

Sent from my iPhone

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you an idiot? rear axle is gawr is 4800lbs, truck weighs 6000 1/2 fuel and 50lbs gear weighed on scale, bias is 55 front 45 rear, 45% of 6000 is 2700lbs, leaves 2100 payload on rear axle not accounting for the weight in the box when loaded that is ahead of the axle and is distributing weight on the front axle.
Do what you think is right.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
But you can't think of a reason why it's not the best post can you?

Sent from my iPhone

It really makes no difference what I say, cause you have it in your head that its good and legal and safe. Give er. Enjoy your white knuckle rides, and I'll stick with my 3500 towing an enclosed 4 place. Have a good winter, and get out lots. :)

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really makes no difference what I say, cause you have it in your head that its good and legal and safe. Give er. Enjoy your white knuckle rides, and I'll stick with my 3500 towing an enclosed 4 place. Have a good winter, and get out lots. :)

Please quote where I said it is legal and safe. Here, I'll do some easy work for you and quote myself since you have issues interpreting.

I didn't realize the deck in my f350 wasn't above the bed? The horse has been flogged, yes, but it was always the GVWR that was overloaded as the main point of the argument, which (Right here X-Treme--->) I AGREE ON CURRENT HALFTONS IS A BAD IDEA. But now the curb weight dropped 750lbs, things are different. (And here too---->) It MAY be within it's safe work load.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
For my 2002 Chev DirtyMax/shortbox/4 door with deck, two sleds everything fueled including truck, gear and my passenger we "just" squeak under the weight at the scales. An extra passenger would put me over.

Tare weight /ˈtɛər/, sometimes called unladen weight, is the weight of an empty vehicle or container.[1] By subtracting it from the gross weight (laden weight), the weight of the goods carried (the net weight) may be determined.

Gross weight (the total weight) = Net weight (the weight of the goods) + Tare weight (the weight of the empty container).

Sent from my Phone while sitting on the side of the road.....maybe.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, I guess I was just lucky coming home with two brand new t3 174 on the deck huh? Hahaha
Gawd, will this question ever go away??
It's as bad and the where can I carry my second shovel treads...
Stick a fork in it guys....
You should have carried your extra shovel on the bumper of your truck to offset those 174's :D

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should have carried your extra shovel on the bumper of your truck to offset those 174's :D

Haha
But I thought you were supposed to keep the shovel in the cab!?!?
You know just in case?
I had a 'woody' the whole way home!!
Maybe that's what kept the front end weighed down? Lmao
Actually the truck drove just fine.
I wouldn't do two sled unless I was in a bind though.
I scaled with one sled before and I was 220kgs under the gvwr.
Gawd I how we get snow soon....
Not sure how much more keyboard riding I can do!

Top Bottom