Will the 2015 F150 have enough payload to run a sled deck legally?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the sled deck on a half ton topic has been beat to death and the answer is no. A very close no.
With the 2015 f150 shedding 600 lbs with the aluminum body I am thinking that is going to give some extra payload room.......

And go.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only one way to find out. Many will say no, but I'm sure I heard some guys saying they weighed themselves at a scale with a deck and sleds on and it was within but you wouldn't be able to have an iced up sled. That, and you are right at your max GVWR which probably isn't the safest for driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the other thread I posted in look at this way. The op has a diesel super duty xlt crew cab. His legal carrying capacity is only 1936 lbs. I have a 7700 lb gvw F150 with the 6.2 in it. It's a supercab 4x4 xlt and it's legal carrying capacity is 1844 lbs. Buying that diesel 3/4 ton doesn't gain or net you much. Most people ignore this stuff but you shouldn't. A gas engine Super Duty is higher. A 7 lug heavy duty package F150 will get you a 8200 lb gvw and generally a 2100 to 2200 lb carrying capacity.

The new aluminum body trucks will be lighter... but i am interested to see if they keep the same gvw. If they do that is a huge win.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I wouldn't be buying a new 2015 aluminum truck until they get the bugs worked outta them

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't buy one because the engines you are stuck with. And honestly I don't give a damn about sled decks. I will never own one lol. But the legal side of things... like all you that have a hard on for going to BC... well your big bad diesel can't haul diddly either.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. I just sold my 2011 SC F150 ecoboost 5.5 box because the max rear payload was legally less than 1000lbs. Probably couldn't haul a mid size holiday trailer with a canopy and be legal. Would never be able to haul a quad in the back and pull a holiday trailer with pin weight in the 450lb range. Crazy in that the truck had max payload package and a 1150lb hitch. You could never get to that tongue weight. The GVW would be ok (at least with the ecoboost) as there is room on the front axle (1000lbs or so). I live a couple miles from a self scale in Okotoks.

Let's say the 2015 F150 weighs 700lbs less with half the weight off the rear axle. That would give a payload with one passenger, full fuel of about 1100-1200lbs. Probably a single deck and one sled and maybe room for one passenger - if the sled was a 2 stroke.

So I purchased a F250 diesel with the camper package. Lots of room on the rear axle but now limited by the GVW. Can carry about 1900lbs of payload (twice the f150). Limited by 9900 GVW instead of rear axle load as with the F150. But I plan on carrying one quad and pulling a holiday trailer, or a bumper type toyhauler.

An F250 really limits the 5th wheel you could pull - you really need an F350 to pull a decent sized 5th wheel.

Move up to a F350 SRW and GVW moves to about 11200lbs (even though the F250 camper package is essentially an F350). So you have an additional 1300lbs of payload for a total of about 3200lbs payload.

Move up to dual wheels F350 and the payload really goes up (another 2000lbs or so) and more/way more with the 450 and 550.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would much rather put a deck on a 2500/3500 that has stiffer suspension,better brakes etc.
Don't forget that 1/2 tons are also semi floating diffs and not full floating diffs

The 1/2 ton bearings are not made for that much weight no matter what they have for specs

A full floater has twice the size of bearings and support

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. I just sold my 2011 SC F150 ecoboost 5.5 box because the max rear payload was legally less than 1000lbs. Probably couldn't haul a mid size holiday trailer with a canopy and be legal. Would never be able to haul a quad in the back and pull a holiday trailer with pin weight in the 450lb range. Crazy in that the truck had max payload package and a 1150lb hitch. You could never get to that tongue weight. The GVW would be ok (at least with the ecoboost) as there is room on the front axle (1000lbs or so). I live a couple miles from a self scale in Okotoks.

Let's say the 2015 F150 weighs 700lbs less with half the weight off the rear axle. That would give a payload with one passenger, full fuel of about 1100-1200lbs. Probably a single deck and one sled and maybe room for one passenger - if the sled was a 2 stroke.

So I purchased a F250 diesel with the camper package. Lots of room on the rear axle but now limited by the GVW. Can carry about 1900lbs of payload (twice the f150). Limited by 9900 GVW instead of rear axle load as with the F150. But I plan on carrying one quad and pulling a holiday trailer, or a bumper type toyhauler.

An F250 really limits the 5th wheel you could pull - you really need an F350 to pull a decent sized 5th wheel.

Move up to a F350 SRW and GVW moves to about 11200lbs (even though the F250 camper package is essentially an F350). So you have an additional 1300lbs of payload for a total of about 3200lbs payload.

Move up to dual wheels F350 and the payload really goes up (another 2000lbs or so) and more/way more with the 450 and 550.

When you don't buy loaded to nuts trucks your payload goes up drastically. All the luxury options add a ton of weight and subtract heavily from the legal capacity. That F150 you had could haul quite a bit more if you made it just a more plain Jane XLT. This goes for any weight level truck. An F350 as an XL will greatly out haul a King Ranch... simply based on the King ranches options all being heavy and deducting from your carrying capacity.

But everyone doesn't want anything but loaded so it is what it is.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I agree... I don't care much what specs say. I'm not comfortable with putting that kind of load on a half ton chassis and it's 1/2 ton components. As well as raising its center of gravity that much on 1/2 ton suspension.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1/2 tons today with the big numbers... were 3/4 tons 15 years ago or less. They don't have 6" c channel frames, 11" brakes and 8.5" rear ends anymore. My F150's now are as heavy built as my 2004 light duty 2500 GMC is. F150 has a fully boxed frame, 9.75" rear end, 3" wide leaf springs and 13" multi piston caliper equipped brakes. Overload it... it fails. My gvw is 7700 for a reason.. not just smoke and mirrors.

The old 04 has a c channel frame that necks to 6" at the rear, 9.5" 14 bolt semi floater, similar brakes etc. It's all relative. That's why the numbers between my "1/2" tons and the older 3/4 ton are close.

Everything now is just bigger. I haul as much weight in my bed with tools as guys do with sled decks. My old GM's didn't fail... neither will these.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1/2 tons today with the big numbers... were 3/4 tons 15 years ago or less. They don't have 6" c channel frames, 11" brakes and 8.5" rear ends anymore. My F150's now are as heavy built as my 2004 light duty 2500 GMC is. F150 has a fully boxed frame, 9.75" rear end, 3" wide leaf springs and 13" multi piston caliper equipped brakes. Overload it... it fails. My gvw is 7700 for a reason.. not just smoke and mirrors.

The old 04 has a c channel frame that necks to 6" at the rear, 9.5" 14 bolt semi floater, similar brakes etc. It's all relative. That's why the numbers between my "1/2" tons and the older 3/4 ton are close.

Everything now is just bigger. I haul as much weight in my bed with tools as guys do with sled decks. My old GM's didn't fail... neither will these.

Yes the new trucks are way better than the old ones. It's not question of the truck failing, the question to me anyway, is "what is the legal capacity of the truck?" I have respect for the manufacturer to set those limits (whether I believe them or not). I have too much to lose by knowingly driving a truck that is overloaded. The cool thing is that we get to make our own choices.

I know my new F250 is way more capable than a 1/2 ton, way more than just 1000lbs, however the payload is still ~1900lbs. My F150 XLT payload was ~900lbs, it didn't meet my needs any more, so I sold it.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the new trucks are way better than the old ones. It's not question of the truck failing, the question to me anyway, is "what is the legal capacity of the truck?" I have respect for the manufacturer to set those limits (whether I believe them or not). I have too much to lose by knowingly driving a truck that is overloaded. The cool thing is that we get to make our own choices.

I know my new F250 is way more capable than a 1/2 ton, way more than just 1000lbs, however the payload is still ~1900lbs. My F150 XLT payload was ~900lbs, it didn't meet my needs any more, so I sold it.

I agree but i do have a caveat. Just stick a 3/4 ton badge on most of these half tons like the 8200 gvw F150's and a good majority of people would rave about how capable they are.... but badge as a half ton... its junk. Lol. It's kind of a joke. It's just as much of a 3/4 ton as 3/4 tons were 15 years ago when the same guys bitching now would overload the hell out of it then and do it with and smile. Then post about how they bought a "capable" 3/4 ton and not a 1/2 ton.

Go another 15 years and if you aren't rocking a truck with the capability of a f650 you will be a hazard on the road. I never thought driving my dads old C70 Chev single axle in high school was cool... but hot damn.... add some options to it and today you are a baller. But then in 15 years maybe a 55' quad axle toy hauler will be the norm too.

Last edited:

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If an insurance company gets involved, u would be in the wrong, and I wouldn't want to face the consequences of what might happen..... In the case of an accident

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weight is weight. If you are overloaded you are overloaded. Most 3/4 ton diesels with decks sleds and people in them are just as easily overloaded as most 1/2 tons. Like I said... that sub 2000 lb payload from a 3/4 to is still your legal payload... doesn't matter what the badge says. Your overloaded... That's all an insurance company would care.

How about instead of these silly pointless threads one gets going on understanding legal carrying capacities. I'm pretty sure most people are clueless about door stickers and have no idea how much or little they can legally haul.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Badass, I agree with you that the new 1/2 tons are every bit as good or better than the old 3/4 tons. I just. wish the manufacturers would be more upfront with the "real" trailer in and payload capacities. Probably the reason for the new SAE Trailering Standards.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Badass, I agree with you that the new 1/2 tons are every bit as good or better than the old 3/4 tons. I just. wish the manufacturers would be more upfront with the "real" trailer in and payload capacities. Probably the reason for the new SAE Trailering Standards.

Agreed! Goes for all trucks. Something that can only haul less than 2000 lbs can't tow a 16000 lb trailer with people in the truck. The math doesn't work! It's a numbers game. That's all.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day they are still 1/2 ton trucks, with p rated tires from the factory. Everyone seems to forget that the towing and payload rating is for a single driver and no added cargo.

Ford thinks that the aluminum body and bed will last?? I don't think it will Once the public gets ahold of it, and starts adding accs to it. Yes I know that there is corrosion control from the factory for the factory nuts and bolts.

The ability to control corrosion on dissimilar metals will be a nightmare for the aftermarket crowd. Is the bed aluminum? A Sled deck mounted in a aluminum bed, kinda scary if you ask me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not all half tons come with p rated tires... and once again all i write is for absolutely nothing lol. Payload is payload.... doesn't matter what the truck is. You exceed it... your overloaded. Good old snow and mud Berta .com

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not all half tons come with p rated tires... and once again all i write is for absolutely nothing lol. Payload is payload.... doesn't matter what the truck is. You exceed it... your overloaded. Good old snow and mud Berta .com

??? I was agreeing with you. Wasn't i?? lol

I was just thinking of a fellow I know that bought a new gmc 1500. The towing rating is 10000 lbs and he goes out and buys a new 32ft pull behind trailer. It weighs 8500 empty. The truck came with p rated tires and when I saw how much it was sagged in the back with the distribution hitch on his way on its first trip, I shook my head.

My insurance company once told me the insurance is cheaper on a 3500 diesel than a 2500 diesel. Just because the 3500 is a more capable truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom