Will the 2015 F150 have enough payload to run a sled deck legally?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI
Weighed my 2012 duramax 3500 SRW long box , fully optioned .
Plywood box liner, aluminum sled deck , no ramps, about 50 lbs in box under deck.
3/4 tank of fuel and inside things plus driver.
9083 lbs
4120 kgs
They are not light?
Think it's good for 11600 lbs if I remember right?

Last edited:

vernon

Reaction score
FYI weighed my 2012 f150 Eco lariat screw,6.5 ftbox, 2 people sled deck,inc ramp 1 dog full of fuel. 3010 kgs or 6635 lbs,gvw is 8200

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
You'd probably be legal With two sleds but it would be close.
FYI weighed my 2012 f150 Eco lariat screw,6.5 ftbox, 2 people sled deck,inc ramp 1 dog full of fuel. 3010 kgs or 6635 lbs,gvw is 8200

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone crawled under a ½ ton and a ¾ ton truck, you would surely see there is a difference.

½ ton rear axle.jpg superduty axle.jpg

If I was overloaded in a truck, I would rather be in a ¾ ton. You can add all the helper springs, and lighten the ½ ton all you want to make it "legal weight", but like Tex said, it has a semi floater, which al the weight is on just that spindle (pic 1) full floater is designed for the weight capacity.

The axles are way beefier, and designed stronger.

As summitric said, and he should know... Your insurance company would frown upon you if you were to get into an accident...

But who ever plans on swerving to hit a moose, or nonsense like that...:rolleyes:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the rear end on the new 15 F 250 compared to the F350. On the new duramax the only difference from a 2500hd to a 3500hd is the 2 extra overload springs. If the rear end on the 250 is identical to F350 just add some air bags to bring up your capacity.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just get the F150 with max payload capacity (7bolt). It is equal to or greater than many of the older 3/4 tons. As far as brakes most of the new half tons also have better brakes than any of the 5 or so year old 3/4 and one tons.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weight adds up pretty fast, current f150 supercrew 6.5 weigh 5700lbs shipping weight 15 is supposed to be 600 lbs less. So start with 5100 add 450lbs passengers, 200lbs fuel, 50lbs crap in truck, 100lbs luggage, 400lb deck, 1200 sleds, crappy roads snow build up 100 lbs, couple cases beer 20lbs. 7620lbs.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
weight adds up pretty fast, current f150 supercrew 6.5 weigh 5700lbs shipping weight 15 is supposed to be 600 lbs less. So start with 5100 add 450lbs passengers, 200lbs fuel, 50lbs crap in truck, 100lbs luggage, 400lb deck, 1200 sleds, crappy roads snow build up 100 lbs, couple cases beer 20lbs. 7620lbs.

jerry cans of fuel/oil, tools/equipment.......... good list and guesstimation, catalac

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes let's look at a picture of a differential built for a car and compare it to a 3/4 ton truck...

alot of old farts on here, times have changed and so do rear differentials, mayby it is a semi floater but it is designed av engineered to run the weight the manufactures give it. I'd be willing to bet the safety factor on some of these parts is 1.5-2.0 times. Last time I checked the 1/2 chevs come with semi floating 14 bolt diffs with 10.5 ring gears. Up until 98ish all 3/4 ton trucks came with full floater 14 bolt diffs with 10.5 ring gears.

Move forward today, as mentioned times have changed. We all used to ride sleds that weight 600lbs with a crap load more steal. Everyone would say how the new plastic aluminum sleds would fail. Badass makes some very valid points. Point #1 is if your under your gvw with 2 sleds, deck, and the guys riding them, Why not do it.

Hell I think one of the snowmobile guys from 509 had a Toyota tundra with two sleds on the back last year to add fuel to this fire.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes let's look at a picture of a differential built for a car and compare it to a 3/4 ton truck...

alot of old farts on here, times have changed and so do rear differentials, mayby it is a semi floater but it is designed av engineered to run the weight the manufactures give it. I'd be willing to bet the safety factor on some of these parts is 1.5-2.0 times. Last time I checked the 1/2 chevs come with semi floating 14 bolt diffs with 10.5 ring gears. Up until 98ish all 3/4 ton trucks came with full floater 14 bolt diffs with 10.5 ring gears.

Move forward today, as mentioned times have changed. We all used to ride sleds that weight 600lbs with a crap load more steal. Everyone would say how the new plastic aluminum sleds would fail. Badass makes some very valid points. Point #1 is if your under your gvw with 2 sleds, deck, and the guys riding them, Why not do it.

Hell I think one of the snowmobile guys from 509 had a Toyota tundra with two sleds on the back last year to add fuel to this fire.

Yeah I wish I could remember his name right now, but he's sponsored by Toyota. Last time one of his YouTube vids was posted I was just waiting for the riot to start over the truck and sled deck but it never happened. I guess people feel differently when it's pro rider who does it?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was Dan Treadway's truck. Fourcast 3 shows his truck with two sleds on the deck as well.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you're under your GVW run it,, probably just wear your truck out a lil faster,,, no biggie. But a full floating diff is just a stronger design, better suited for hauling lots of weight.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who ever put two sleds on a tundra, don't much matter who it was

Does it mean it's smart, cool, legal ???? Nope

If Dan Treadway jumped off a bridge would u??

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be cool to watch. A Tundra with two sleds jumping off a bridge lol

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And St Onge on one of the sleds, riding it back to shore with one hand.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who ever put two sleds on a tundra, don't much matter who it was

Does it mean it's smart, cool, legal ???? Nope

If Dan Treadway jumped off a bridge would u??

I'm not saying it's cool or legal all I'm saying is anytime anyone posts a question on the topic of half tons and decks they get jumped on, but when he includes it in his videos (making others think it's a good idea) the usual guys don't say anything?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree way too many sled deck, half ton threads.... But just because it's a guy with a big name and on a sled video, doesn't mean it's a good idea the same as jumping off a bridge

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like many say....just because it can, does not mean one should. Case in point: We had a very capable half ton couple years a go. One trip with the trailer, dogs, kid etc, I knew we were close the max. Stopped at scale to get an accurate reading and the setup was 100lbs below max. Was the truck capable of pulling and hauling the load....sure. Was it a comfortable drive....nope, especially when anything outside of perfect conditions arose. Wind, rain, hills, heavy traffic....truck could do it, but it was not easy or fun. It makes you stressed, tired, cranky. Along comes the F350, same trip, same setup, and I am comfortable, not tired and a heck of a lot less stressed at the end of a long journey. 1/2 ton =capable with trade offs. 3/4 or 1 ton=capable with much less trade offs.

Not to mention how much safer I fell my family is.

My 2 cents

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the sled deck on a half ton topic has been beat to death and the answer is no. A very close no.
With the 2015 f150 shedding 600 lbs with the aluminum body I am thinking that is going to give some extra payload room.......

And go.

it has a 200 lb higher payload for the 2wd heavy half reg cab short, went from 3100 in 2014 to 3300 in 2015

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never in my lifetime consider towing a trailer or loading a payload of those weights with a 1/2 ton truck....never! Lets wait and see how many people die before Ford adjusts those numbers. Isn't there any accountability in the auto industry anymore!!??

This from the comments section:

It's just for "best in class" bragging rights and not actual usability. Has anyone here actually attempted pulling a 10,000+ pound trailer with a half-ton series truck? Yes it's possible, but it doesn't really "work."
Anyone who actually has any experience towing that kind of weight knows they'll need a 3/4 ton truck if they plan on doing it more than once or twice a year.
Between the 5 dealerships I represent we get 2-3 half ton trucks per month traded in with just a handful of miles because they were rated for these ridiculously high numbers and someone actually tried doing it in real life, found out the truck wasn't up to the job, and traded it for a heavier duty vehicle.

Top Bottom