Will the 2015 F150 have enough payload to run a sled deck legally?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never in my lifetime consider towing a trailer or loading a payload of those weights with a 1/2 ton truck....never! Lets wait and see how many people die before Ford adjusts those numbers. Isn't there any accountability in the auto industry anymore!!??

This from the comments section:

It's just for "best in class" bragging rights and not actual usability. Has anyone here actually attempted pulling a 10,000+ pound trailer with a half-ton series truck? Yes it's possible, but it doesn't really "work."
Anyone who actually has any experience towing that kind of weight knows they'll need a 3/4 ton truck if they plan on doing it more than once or twice a year.
Between the 5 dealerships I represent we get 2-3 half ton trucks per month traded in with just a handful of miles because they were rated for these ridiculously high numbers and someone actually tried doing it in real life, found out the truck wasn't up to the job, and traded it for a heavier duty vehicle.

i remember guys buying ridgelines thinking they could tow like a "1500". hahah fawk. My dad has a ridgeline, its a friggan unibody fwd car.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never in my lifetime consider towing a trailer or loading a payload of those weights with a 1/2 ton truck....never! Lets wait and see how many people die before Ford adjusts those numbers. Isn't there any accountability in the auto industry anymore!!??

This from the comments section:

It's just for "best in class" bragging rights and not actual usability. Has anyone here actually attempted pulling a 10,000+ pound trailer with a half-ton series truck? Yes it's possible, but it doesn't really "work."
Anyone who actually has any experience towing that kind of weight knows they'll need a 3/4 ton truck if they plan on doing it more than once or twice a year.
Between the 5 dealerships I represent we get 2-3 half ton trucks per month traded in with just a handful of miles because they were rated for these ridiculously high numbers and someone actually tried doing it in real life, found out the truck wasn't up to the job, and traded it for a heavier duty vehicle.

I'm not sure towing 30,000 lbs with a 1 ton that weighs 9000 lbs is any smarter than 12,000 with a 1/2 ton that weighs 5500 lbs.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol and how do you feel about pulling 60000lbs with 20000lb peterbilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Lol and how do you feel about pulling 60000lbs with 20000lb peterbilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now we're talkin apples and oranges. Semi's are built specifically for that purpose. With 8 tires on 4 axels carrying the load with brakes and suspension built specifically for that purpose.

Not quite the same as a pickup truck with a box held to the frame by u bolts, e' rated tires on a single axel. and the same brakes as the rest of the manufacturers fleet

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now we're talkin apples and oranges. Semi's are built specifically for that purpose. With 8 tires on 4 axels carrying the load with brakes and suspension built specifically for that purpose.

Not quite the same as a pickup truck with a box held to the frame by u bolts, e' rated tires on a single axel. and the same brakes as the rest of the manufacturers fleet

No I agree but it's the same principal. The comment about a 9000lb 1ton truck towing a 30000lb trailer, well even tho it's not possible with a SRW, was what I was referring to.

30000gcvw is however possible and the 1tons of today are rated that high, and are designed to pull that weight. But this is a payload thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Point is all pickup truck ratings seem outlandish, half ton with 3300 in the box or pulling 12000 lbs isn't any nuttier than a 1 ton with a payload of 6700lbs or towing 30000lbs with a max combined of 37600lbs.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
No I agree but it's the same principal. The comment about a 9000lb 1ton truck towing a 30000lb trailer, well even tho it's not possible with a SRW, was what I was referring to.

30000gcvw is however possible and the 1tons of today are rated that high, and are designed to pull that weight. But this is a payload thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But those one tonnes don't have 2 axels and 8 tires on the ground to support that load so it is the same principal if weather the manufacturer states a load rating or not I wouldn't trust it

Top Bottom