Wisdom Teeth

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The day is approaching that I have been dreading but it has to be done. Having all 4 wisdom teeth removed. Due to other health complications I will be going to the hospital and being put out. I have been on blood thinners for a few years so it will likely be a bit more bloody then normal.

Anyone have any pointers?

I know no straws.

Oh why did I not have this done was I was young!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to tuff it out with the pain for a couple days............................................and pray for no infection.

Ms. Swimmer

Reaction score
We just had my 17 year old daughter up to Dr Whitestone in Calgary to have her's surgically removed in March. It was very spendy but I am glad it is done. I had mine removed 1 at a time in the dentist's chair 2 when I was in my 20's and 2 when I was in my 40's. The only advice I can give you is to stay on top of the pain. Take the anti-inflammatories they give you. Take it easy for a few days. My daughter developed dry socket which from what I gather is pretty painful.....do whatever you have to do to avoid that. It never happened to me.

Take care!!! Best of luck!!!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had all four of mine ripped out, while I was awake.

I can tell you that being knocked out is the right idea. I was trying to be a cheap guy, wasn't worth it. Take some time off, and if T3's bug you, opt for something else. I found dealing with the pain was easier than dealing with T3s, they made me feel so ill.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had all four of mine ripped out, while I was awake.

I can tell you that being knocked out is the right idea. I was trying to be a cheap guy, wasn't worth it. Take some time off, and if T3's bug you, opt for something else. I found dealing with the pain was easier than dealing with T3s, they made me feel so ill.
T3's = poop stoppers. Bad , bad, bad....big ol teary-eyed thermos-poop a week later.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bahhhh! Don't let everyone freak you out. While for some it's a horrible experience, for others it's almost nothing. I had mine pulled at once while I was awake. However, it was a little disturbing seeing how much physical effort was required by the dentist, but it wasn't overly painful.

...however, the T3 pooping problem is probably a different story.

Ms. Swimmer

Reaction score
Yeah it's NOTHING like giving birth that's painful!!!!!!!! They should give you those super duper ibuprofen things. I can't think of what they are called. Those shouldn't affect your pooping.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had all 4 of mine out along with another tooth root in December at the oral surgeon in Saskatoon. I heard all sorts of horror stories and how bad my face was going to swell, etc. Had it done with IV sedation. Had it done on a Thursday afternoon and took the next day off work. I had very little pain (never took any of the pain meds they gave me), no dry socket or infection issues. Couldn't have went better. I was on solid food by that Sunday.

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had all 4 of mine out along with another tooth root in December at the oral surgeon in Saskatoon. I heard all sorts of horror stories and how bad my face was going to swell, etc. Had is done with IV sedation. Had it done on a Thursday afternoon and took the next day off work. I had very little pain (never took any of the pain meds they gave me), no dry socket or infection issues. Couldn't have went better. I was on solid food by that Sunday.
Ditto on the IV sedation. GREAT drugs. Make sure someone else is there to drive you home, cause' you'll be stuck at a traffic light staring at your hands in no time.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the IV sedation. GREAT drugs. Make sure someone else is there to drive you home, cause' you'll be stuck at a traffic light staring at your hands in no time.

Yeah, they won't take you in to the operating room without having a driver there with you. I wasn't bad. Made it out of there under my own steam and stayed awake the whole 1hr 15min ride home.

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
I had all four out, and since it's a little crowded in there they plucked a couple extras at the same time. I don't remember much pain afterwards, the worst part was discovering that I'm allergic to sulfa drugs (the antibiotics they prescribed to go with the surgery). :rolleyes: Best of luck!

Ms. Swimmer

Reaction score
I guess I was a lucky fart; my wisdom teeth were congenitally missing. That was a good thing I'm thinking!

Good luck with the getting back to normal.

I was talking to my dentist about wisdom teeth and he was saying they are seeing more and more people without wisdom teeth and as we evolve as a species we will see alot more people with out them because we simply don't need them any more. There was a time we needed them as extra insurance when dental hygiene wasn't a priority and most people's teeth were rotted out by the time they reached adulthood and thus needed another set of molars but not anymore!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was talking to my dentist about wisdom teeth and he was saying they are seeing more and more people without wisdom teeth and as we evolve as a species we will see alot more people with out them because we simply don't need them any more. There was a time we needed them as extra insurance when dental hygiene wasn't a priority and most people's teeth were rotted out by the time they reached adulthood and thus needed another set of molars but not anymore!

You mean to tell me, my teeth were ahead of time? That was a long time ago!

Top Bottom