Is it this challenging to find employees elsewhere?

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow do not get me started on this society and the young adults coming into the work forces. They think they are entitled to everything those of us that have been working for 40 years and have a trade and skills. Even for a entry level job or a beginner job they want 80+ grand a year.. They feel they should do the least amount of work and get top $, Lord forbid they have to get 2 jobs to support their life style, or the 4 kits they had by accident... I blame this on the parents giving their kids everything and not making them work for things.. Im sorry but what 10 year old needs a 10g pedal bike?.. I feel sorry for our society in another 10 years our work force is screwed...
Iv been trying to hire for a year now, good wages and benefits and the resumes i get are a joke and the amount of money is even worse

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow do not get me started on this society and the young adults coming into the work forces. They think they are entitled to everything those of us that have been working for 40 years and have a trade and skills. Even for a entry level job or a beginner job they want 80+ grand a year.. They feel they should do the least amount of work and get top $, Lord forbid they have to get 2 jobs to support their life style, or the 4 kits they had by accident... I blame this on the parents giving their kids everything and not making them work for things.. Im sorry but what 10 year old needs a 10g pedal bike?.. I feel sorry for our society in another 10 years our work force is screwed...
Iv been trying to hire for a year now, good wages and benefits and the resumes i get are a joke and the amount of money is even worse
They all want to be boss.
That's what I find.
They don't like getting dirty, sweating.
They want to sit behind the computer and deligate the work load.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Openly say they want the house, the car, the job, the money just like us older people do.

But they want it on day one, without getting dirty or applying effort.

They have this wild idea that social programs just happen and developed companies owe them a free pass.
News flash - it just doesn't work that way, maybe after 25-30 years of effort.
Each generation gets more out of touch of what work is.
On resumes and attitude about 1 in 20 are worth hiring.
REALLY.
Society acceptance, school teaching and supply everything parents to blame.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My work has been looking and hard to find people,and the few who apply don't have experience or don't want to work. Hired few with no experience willing to train and if lucky 50% of those actually want to work and learn and the other 50% isn't even worth coming to work for they don't want to work. Even have people apply to be partsmen and ask if they can work from home, don't know how you look after customer at a parts counter from home or get parts to ship. Different world for how people think about work

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I notice a lot of you guys complaining about lack of skilled workers, but in my experience in oil and gas (plant operator) a lot of that comes from years and years of the companies themselves not letting people learn or get there hands dirty. Operators (not all but the ones with good work ethic and initiative) have tried for years to get more involved with maintenance. But the big oil companies would rather we type up work orders. It all comes down to "competency" for them. They pretty much wouldn't let us change an air filter without being a journeyman millwright when I started, although that's slowly getting better.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I agree with a lot of the points on crappy employees, there's also a pile of even worse employers too that can't see they're a huge part of the problem.

People don't want to work long hours, without a schedule, for mediocre pay, with no job security. And it's often the employers offering these jobs that b!tch the most about not being able to find employees.

The labour market is tight right now, and the employers with the highest pay, best working conditions, and best work/life balance will find and retain the best employees.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While I agree with a lot of the points on crappy employees, there's also a pile of even worse employers too that can't see they're a huge part of the problem.

People don't want to work long hours, without a schedule, for mediocre pay, with no job security. And it's often the employers offering these jobs that b!tch the most about not being able to find employees.

The labour market is tight right now, and the employers with the highest pay, best working conditions, and best work/life balance will find and retain the best employees.
I have to agree with you to a point though, a lot of employers including my own are hiring with no clue the ins/outs of a truck and simply rely on the clown to do the training that has no clue about vehicles what so ever. Pretty interesting when there are members on here not asking for much but yet getting turned down ;(.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same old BS regarding skilled employees. No one wants to hire an employee with no experience yet we wonder why there isn't any employees with experience? Everyone has to start somewhere..
Totally agree with this. I have personally been telling our contractors for years they need to hire apprentices. And not just 4th years. They would always tell me that they need experience on all of the projects they are doing and don’t have time to teach. (2019) Said it would bite them in the ass hard when the Alberta economy really picks up in a few years. Here we are, really short on manpower and they still can’t figure out how we have a shortage of skilled labour that is directly induced by employers.
*For clarity this is mainly shutdowns and short term projects.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with this. I have personally been telling our contractors for years they need to hire apprentices. And not just 4th years. They would always tell me that they need experience on all of the projects they are doing and don’t have time to teach. (2019) Said it would bite them in the ass hard when the Alberta economy really picks up in a few years. Here we are, really short on manpower and they still can’t figure out how we have a shortage of skilled labour that is directly induced by employers.
*For clarity this is mainly shutdowns and short term projects.
That is right on and it isn't just the contractors. The major corporations that hire contractors are guilty as well. The one I worked for quit having apprentices in the 80's and would poach the good journeyman from the contactors when recruiting.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in 2020 we needed 2 extra laborers for sandblasting prep work,hand sanding,,masking,,not a brain surgeons job,,paid $25 hr, and we paid for the oil field safety tickets..had no luck in a month of ads,,i mentioned to my boss that there are 4 familys living on my street that arent working.these are welfare provided homes and on welfare too..we knocked on all 4 drs, one came to door.we mentioned what we were looking for,,he asked 3 times how much u paying? he hollered at his wife,,she said we get more from Welfare with 4 kids..he had a 2018 Pickup in driveway,,motorcyle..travel trailer,. the other 3 said same next day..but we did find a man our age 65 ,i was 67 ,boss is 73l, he had his tickets so we gave him $35.00 worked hard as me,lol he stated till the big Covid layoff on June,thats when i was run over by a pickup in my own garage,,havnt worked out since,,i have asked a few young guys to come change tires with me 5 hrs aday. sure,.for $35 a hr..forget it,,doing it myself , yup.its hard to find help..regardless of the job.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Daughter use to work at UBC as a student recruiter. She just got a job at Powerx where her job is to find and hire new employees. Powerex knows it is tough finding the right staff and they will have a large % retiring in a few years. She goes to university student recruitment fairs. She make 6 figures. Like they say go big or go home.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
in 2020 we needed 2 extra laborers for sandblasting prep work,hand sanding,,masking,,not a brain surgeons job,,paid $25 hr, and we paid for the oil field safety tickets..had no luck in a month of ads,,i mentioned to my boss that there are 4 familys living on my street that arent working.these are welfare provided homes and on welfare too..we knocked on all 4 drs, one came to door.we mentioned what we were looking for,,he asked 3 times how much u paying? he hollered at his wife,,she said we get more from Welfare with 4 kids..he had a 2018 Pickup in driveway,,motorcyle..travel trailer,. the other 3 said same next day..but we did find a man our age 65 ,i was 67 ,boss is 73l, he had his tickets so we gave him $35.00 worked hard as me,lol he stated till the big Covid layoff on June,thats when i was run over by a pickup in my own garage,,havnt worked out since,,i have asked a few young guys to come change tires with me 5 hrs aday. sure,.for $35 a hr..forget it,,doing it myself , yup.its hard to find help..regardless of the job.
That's the biggest problem in our country. The government hands out way too much free money. If my tax dollars are supporting you , you should get food and shelter, that's it! Fawkin pisses me off when people on welfare live better than those who work their azz off.

Top Bottom