Wisdom Teeth

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat it til it happens - its different for everyone. I was awake when they did mine, only rough part is hearing them crack your teeth. Had each side done separately 2 and 2 about 2 months apart - Went back to work the next day after both. First ones had a little pain and stayed on liquids for a couple days but the 2nd ones I went to Boston Pizza about 2 hrs before, had a couple pina coladas and hawaiian pizza (was wishing I was somewhere tropical...) and was eating solid food within 48 hrs. Worst part about the whole ordeal was those freakin' dissolving stitches, they tasted disgusting! I pulled the 2nd set of stitches out after about 2.5 days, I couldn't handle the taste anymore.

You get dry socket from "sucking" on things like straws and cigarettes (apparently) so if you are a smoker, plan on having a rough go for a little bit. Otherwise, just catch up on some ZZZZ's and watch some daytime talk shows.

Snow Angel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how some of you were awake for that!!!!! I would pass out just from sitting in that scary chair!!!

I was put out for mine, had all 4 removed in the same sitting. I woke up super stoned, and my ma had to pretty much carry me out of there.

Definitely make sure you're cleaning them out REGULARLY - they gave me a syringe that I would have to squirt on each one with salt water. Eat lots of cold stuff and NO straws!! Take the pain killers... they give you and the dosage they tell you (I had T3's), and 2 regular strength Advil with them.

I have to go back in a few years and get my top two re-removed or something, because there was cartiladge debris left behind... Or something?! (Don't remember what the doc said.) Apparently it's even worse when that happens.

Good luck!!! :tea:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The key is to take the pain killers even if you are not hurting to bad. Its better to stay ahead of the pain than get behind on it.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i went under with IV sedation as well, they were rolling me out in a wheel chair 45 mins later. it was great i didnt have to walk then i got driven home! i never get chauffeured around like that haha. i had a couple teeth that were under the skin and growing sideways so they strongly recomended i go under, sedation was the cheap part... $250

i got so hungry the first day so i was eating solids by the second day and cutting trees down and grinding stumps at the farm. didnt have the energy like i usually had but i had a week off so i had to use it to my advantage!

the only pain i had was from a lot of swelling, ice packs a few times a day and just before bed will help that. i had my worst pain at night so i would take a couple advils and that helped

they should give you a little water gun seringe to clean out the holes in your mouth, its fun you can shoot water across the room with that thing haha

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Funny time for this to come up, just took my son to the dentist this morning to get all 4 taken out. Under IV sedation, within 1 hour he was done and they wheeled him out in a chair with long gauze sticking out of his mouth(looked funny) and a set of instructions. He is on pain meds, antibiotic and antinflammatories. No straws. rinse with salt water a few times a day and eat softer foods.

Had mine out more than 20 years ago, local painkillers only(was awake the whole time) all at the same time, mouth and jaw was sore for a few days but no big deal

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had mine removed 1 at a time over a number of years in my forties. Had the last one removed 2 years ago. That's why I'm so smart!

No different than any other tooth removal, unless they're impacted.

Snohog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm getting mine out one day this summer. ~Rowdy~ highly recommended NOT drinking beer after. But no need to worry about that, I'll have to be (and will be) sooo hammered in order to even consider entering that building.
Not looking forward to the aftermath of it though.

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I woke up afterwards and the first thing the nurse says is "you really gave the doc a run for his money". Lovely. I slept with a towel under my head the first couple nights because it was still bleeding. As much as my experience wasn't fun, a buddies GF that was in on the same day was still bruised when I was back to work...

bryan_117

Reaction score
i had all mine pulled in january, the bottom ones were coming in sideways. 45 min and i was done, iv sedation, apparently i'm a pig when i'm that doped up. the pain killers were crazy, stared at the wall for hours, but if i let the pain get ahead of me felt like someone was kicking me in the face. also if your gf or wife swings her arms in you sleep watch out, mine clocked me in the jaw a few times

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I told doc t3 didn't work well do they prescribed me Percocet. 40 of them! Didn't use them though. Was the same I'v
Sedation. Not sure how long the precedure was though. 8-9 year ago now.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to sign a paper stating I would not sue if I woke up and my jaw was wired shut had 4 done 2 were impacted 2 weren't and cleaned out 2 old root canals the pain killers were like the pills mother give you (don't do anything at all)

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had all four of mine out at once 11 years ago when I was 16, had lots of room for them and they werent a problem at the time but the dentist figured might as well take em out while I was still on my parents health plan, mine actually came fully through by the time I was 14, so I guess they were a little early. Was awake for the operation, it took him about 30 mins for the bottom ones and 20 mins for the top ones. Had no pain, no swelling and was actually out drinking that night for my buddies graduation party. However everybody is different....... my friend had hers out the same day (friday) and monday morning at school her eyes were still black and her face still looked like a chipmunk....... and she was bed ridden all weekend..... sucked to be her

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, everyone is different....

had all four pulled on the same day, no painkillers (allergic to anything with codeine), and went to work the same day.

both of my daughters had two of theirs removed and were back to school or work the next day, also no drugs

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah it's not bad getting them out! I got all four out along with one other big tooth in the back. I was awake for it all and like said before the worst was the sound! I didn't have any pain I only took the T3 to make me sleep! I woke up chewing on the bloody gauze that they put in your mouth, and that made me puke!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So....had 3 wise teeth pulled with local anesthetic about 20 yrs ago.....#4 was up high and unlikely to come down. Fast forward....ol #4 has grown all goofy so that it's crashing into the root of my top rear molar. This is causing some kind of internal conflict whereby the body built a 1.5" cyst behind it. The cyst is protruding into my sinus cavity and giving me sinus infections....plus a sore jaw.

Today was the day....general anesthesia (a first for me)....woke up with a pretty sore yap....took out rear molar (for access I assume), wisdom tooth, and cyst. Stitched up sinus and worked his way back out. I feel stitches in my mouth, but I wasn't real coherent to remember the details when I came out of it. Yogurt and mush for a few days I guess, but T3s seem to be keeping things OK. (until the inevitable constipation and thermos-poop causes many tears) I think my lips and cheeks where they were stretching my yap to get hands and tools in there hurts as much as the giant hole in my jaw.

No beer for a few days I spose.....

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I remember getting mine done 8 years back with GA too. Woke up feeling like the entire Harlem Globetrotters lineup had poked around in here.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So....had 3 wise teeth pulled with local anesthetic about 20 yrs ago.....#4 was up high and unlikely to come down. Fast forward....ol #4 has grown all goofy so that it's crashing into the root of my top rear molar. This is causing some kind of internal conflict whereby the body built a 1.5" cyst behind it. The cyst is protruding into my sinus cavity and giving me sinus infections....plus a sore jaw.

Today was the day....general anesthesia (a first for me)....woke up with a pretty sore yap....took out rear molar (for access I assume), wisdom tooth, and cyst. Stitched up sinus and worked his way back out. I feel stitches in my mouth, but I wasn't real coherent to remember the details when I came out of it. Yogurt and mush for a few days I guess, but T3s seem to be keeping things OK. (until the inevitable constipation and thermos-poop causes many tears) I think my lips and cheeks where they were stretching my yap to get hands and tools in there hurts as much as the giant hole in my jaw.

No beer for a few days I spose.....
So 2 days later and I am SWOLLEN UP. Finally get around to reading the literature the doc sent home with me....expect swelling to peak at Day 3. It is the body's way of trying to splint and rest the surgery area (his words). T3's seem to be working for pain. I am REALLY happy I don't have any more of these things left!

Top Bottom