Whats the biggest herd of Elk you ever seen

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran into about 2000 of these guys out on the Block west of the Hat. Had 2 EL Tim;s so little shaky enjoy

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GyWvQTIGvY[/media]

:beer::d

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good thing them buggars stayed in the field and not on the road

This herd stays on the CFB suffield base just outside of the Hat they seem pretty happy where their at. I was told by the base that the full size of the herd is over 5000. Sure impressive to see such a healthy looking herd. There were some huge bulls in the bunch. They decided to bed down on our prospect for the night the next day 2 sec of survey had to be reestablished cause the bunch figured the survey lath made pretty good scratchin posts.:d

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy cow! I thought the herd of around 200 that lives by my place was big. :eek:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last Thursday there were about 1200 we guessed along the hiway heading out of Calgary near the Cochrane turn off. I've never seen that many Elk, let alone that many near Calgary.

Last Easter the entire area where they were was a 10 mile long grass fire. Must have been some fresh stuff sprouting there.

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big heard out at Mountaineer Lodge, at least a thousand last time I was out there. Migrate there from the park.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some incredible bulls on the Block. They have it figured out though, and don't leave. I've seen moose out there too, but not as often.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some incredible bulls on the Block. They have it figured out though, and don't leave. I've seen moose out there too, but not as often.

Kind neat out there all the dear running in and around the base. Guess they know their safe from hunters in there just gotta look out for the odd mortar round.:beer::d

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Kind neat out there all the dear running in and around the base. Guess they know their safe from hunters in there just gotta look out for the odd mortar round.:beer::d

They do leave the base. There have been some pretty large bulls bagged on the north end of the block. I will see if i can track down some old pics.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The largest herd I have seen was by Jackson Hole Wyoming..where they have the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation museum. When I was there 6 years ago the guy told me on any given day there was between 8-10 thousand head of elk in that one field...You could go on a sleigh ride for 10 bucks and feed them hay...wish I had a camera with me...craziest thing I every seen!

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The largest herd I have seen was by Jackson Hole Wyoming..where they have the Rocky Mountain Elk foundation museum. When I was there 6 years ago the guy told me on any given day there was between 8-10 thousand head of elk in that one field...You could go on a sleigh ride for 10 bucks and feed them hay...wish I had a camera with me...craziest thing I every seen!

Are you at work?:beer::d

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am in Iraq at the moment get back to Calgary on tuesday...I want to go riding this coming weekend maybe even a day or two sooner!

The sled gods have granted your wish. We will be hooking up at the Husky just west Cal on Thursday morning and we will be heading out to Donald and heading into retrieve the 4 sleds at Hope Cr. Do that Thurs then figure where we ride on Fri. Probably stay at the Golden Rim. The more the merrier for this one cause I'm sure I could come close to a cardiac good thing everyone going has CPR, Might need to get someone to bring the little blue shock me box that or a set of jumper cables.:d We are looking for 20 peeps and I think your the 10th.

Top Bottom