Valemount March 6th Allen Creek Avy Valley

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AVY helping hand, just blown off like its not important

Kinda in the same boat as Maxwell Posted below this. As we all know the Avlanche area. if not the one that says with a big yellow sigh " DO NOT STOP AVLANCHE AREA". so as passing through there i happened to notice a short track stuck half way up the face to the left just as you go accrost the creek and about 3 or 4 ppl sitting directly below. so as not my normal self i was like this could be bad and well i dont wanna be diging someone or a whole group of ppl. so i went and said to the one guy standing beside his sled watchign his buddy try and climb to his buddy to help him.

i think my exact words were " did you guys not see the do not stop sign" reply was yeah we seen that. at that point i was quite frustrated and was like well as you all know this is a very bad spot to be sitting and should go to either ends and wait for your buddy to get off the hill. he then says i know what iam doing. well sure did when your sitting at the bottom of a trap. and i said i dont wanna have to come back and see this sled and for peace of my mind have to stop and do a search because i new you guys were climbing on this hill. i then got pissed off and said something like maybe an avy course would be in all of your intrestes and get a grip and move on and left.

we stoped at the other side to see some guys climbing the shoots at the end there whitch were very tracked out. and noticed for about another 30min the guys i got mad at were still doing what they shouldnt be doing.

this is just a thought to everyone out there that doesnt do alot of back country riding or have experence.

if someone comes up to you to state you are doing something very save and have seen that hill slid lots that maybe you should leave. or at least respect what someone is telling you. i dont wanna see areas get closed because ppl neglect to listen to other ppl about there decision.

and iam not pointing fingers at anyone or trying to make anyone mad. just making a point. i was there once too but i listened. my life is worth more then my ignorance thinking it wont happen to me.

thanks for listing to me rant.

safe sledding guys.

and a shout out to the VARDA crew for the great job on the trails as the warm weather doesnt make there job any easier.:beer:

Last edited:

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
more people need to speek up like you and maxwell about these kind of issues some people are n't very bright

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And then you hear about all the avy's and deaths and 90% are preventable. There are the ones that are a fluke. And then we read in the newspaper about how unsafe sledding is and all the hills should be closed etc.... But this crap pisses me off when someone that knows the area tries to help someone or a group out and they are ignorant about it. Maybe someday they will get that rude awakening first hand and make it out as i dont want to see any sledder or anyone die in a avy, and then think hey that guy wasnt an idiot after all he was trying to help us make it down off the hill to our families. Hey that isnt a bad thing guys when people try to help you our or give you advice.
I have only been riding for 3 years and I wish there was more people out there to let you know hey man this is a bad area or a hill that usually slides. I know I want to come home safe.
So thanks for the advice in advance and cheers........

Last edited by a moderator:

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was caught in an avy in that same spot in 2003, not a good spot to be playing in. I read the sign and didn't pay it any attention, all most payed for it with my life.
listen up guys alot of us that are trying to give you free advise in the hills are doing it for your own good and it may save your life.

ajay

Reaction score
Yup, seems like everytime I go through avy ally someone is pushing the envelope. Was there when a few were covered in the bottom a few years back, they just can,t read I guess. Stayed away from there past weekend. Seem like if the rider knows how to squeeze the throttle they know it all. Luck won't last forever....

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For some dumb reason people like to climb there????? Last time I was there we unfortately had a sled break down so we tolled it out of danger and came across 4 turboed apexs and a hcr there climbing

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yah this gets me every time. and once again it comes back to the snow conditions. usually that hill is untracked because people can move past it and climb something differant. but whenn the snow is low guess where you find people...

im not to concerned about their safety. they have shown what there lives are worth already. but hundreds of sleds pass through there every day just trying to get past as quick as possible. familys included.

if that face comes down it would take out everyone passing and watching.

there are chutes you can climb on the far end that arent to much of a problem to challenger your skills.

i love the " i know what im doing attitude "

how is that possible? its mother nature you cant possibly know what you are doing.

the fact that there is NO safe zone to be sitting in that vallley cancells out his knowledge all together.

it amazes me the amount of people that stop in that zone.

ask lori from zacs she will tell you all about her experience on that face.

the real danger is higher up aswell. there is a huge face waiting to come down with the lower ones....which people can not see from the bottom......

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Way to go guys .......... i think more and more people need to speak up if you see guys doing stupid things. I know I will. I believe it's the only way peeps that are too cheap to take an avy course will get the message.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the world is full of morons, you can preach till your blue in the face but it will not stop the stupid from existing. Do you stop and tell everyone that you see having a beer in the staging area that drinking and driving is dangerous and they shouldn't do it? Most people that participate in this sport are smart and know the outcome if you ride in high avy areas, the others even though its unfortuante you have to walk away from and if they get in a slide from their stupidity then so be it.

We were riding in Renshaw on saturday and even though most slopes were pretty stable and safe, there was some guys highmarking a slope with hugh cornises(sp?) right over head, not much point in saying anything to them because the outcome probably would of been the same as max and slut. If the slope slid we would of went over to assist in a rescue, but you cant save everybody.

Did you happen to do a beacon check by these groups to see if they even had beacons? I'm guessing most of them probably didn't.

End of rant, cheers to all the smart people that partake in this sport, my hat goes off to you all:beer:

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We talked to the same group that is being talked about above, the one guy had cut his leg open pretty bad so we were offering up a first aid kit, and telling them they should maybe move along from where they were sitting (this was befor the guy got stuck) the told us unless theres bones sticking out it aint important, and that they know what the conditions are like, so we just moved along. Not saying we are angels we took some risks that day also,(we were the guys playing in the chutes on the far end) but we all tried evaluate the risk we were taking and had the rest of our group park in a safe spot just in case. Good on Maxwell and Sledslut for standing up for our sport, also big thanks to VARDA, you guys are kind and very informitive people you can not put a price on the help and effort you put in

THANKS EVERYONE

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We talked to the same group that is being talked about above, the one guy had cut his leg open pretty bad so we were offering up a first aid kit, and telling them they should maybe move along from where they were sitting (this was befor the guy got stuck) the told us unless theres bones sticking out it aint important, and that they know what the conditions are like, so we just moved along. Not saying we are angels we took some risks that day also,(we were the guys playing in the chutes on the far end) but we all tried evaluate the risk we were taking and had the rest of our group park in a safe spot just in case. Good on Maxwell and Sledslut for standing up for our sport, also big thanks to VARDA, you guys are kind and very informitive people you can not put a price on the help and effort you put in

THANKS EVERYONE

the volume of snow that comes down in those chutes your talking about if any is minimal compared to an open face like that.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never rode up there, any have any pictures of said hill??

The big one on the left.

We tried to reason with some folks on Saturday as well, but you can only offer advice and they have to decide from there. I cant believe what people have been getting away with here with the frost layers that are active, its a tough situation.

Attachments

• P3061590.jpg
    P3061590.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 71

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mean no disrespect to those who have lost a loved one, friend, father, brother or son due to the unfortunate and unexpected events of an avalanche.
I know my remarks are going to be shallow, crude and/or offensive to most...
BUT
Sympathies and well wishes will go out to families who have lost a loved one or loved ones to such a tragic accident such as an avoidable avalanche situation.
BUT
Mother Nature has a way of cleaning up the shallow end of the gene pool.....

Last edited:

Turbofreak

Reaction score
Your remarks I think should of been kept to yourself on this one.

Nature doesn't decide if a person should die in an instance, some avy's that have claimed lives may have been preventable but it's not that they are destined because they are the bottom end of a gene pool!

It could happen to the most prepared person on the most unlikely day. Don't ever forget that and don't come on here and disrespect families that have been devastated by unfortunate events, even if you say you don't mean to.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see it every time i go out. this spot always has tracks. make a bigger sign........ still won't help.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for those that havent been here red is the path of travel

See the area to the right of Maxwell's red line? Ever wonder why there are no trees there, and the ones that are, look kinda funny?

Top Bottom