In golden with my 14 year old boy and need advice

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I am hoping to call in a favour from you all by asking you to point me in the right direction.

This weekend I took my boy to do his AST1 in golden. He has decent flat land experience but his first trip up the hill was Saturday morning to do his course. The course was completed on Quartz so today we decided to just go back and give it a whirl.

Unfortunately Quartz didn’t seem to have too much beginner friendly zones. I have looked online to try and see what else is available near me but haven’t got much for confirmed info.

I typically ride Sicamous and know I could find all kinds of good areas between blue and owls but would like to save myself the 2.5 hr drive back and forth before and after the days ride.

Can any of you point me in the right direction to take him for tomorrow? I am not sure if I am best to head to revy, radium or does a guy just go back to sicamous?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try Susan lake it’s up the bush fsr a little ways. Turn at Donald Easy trail. There’s also bleaberry lots of logging roads in there and the mount 7 fsr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank for the help so far, I really do appreciate it.

We rode all of the meadows and even poked up to top of the world and Area 51 area. It sure didn’t seem to take very long to play out most of those areas.

We rode the trees around the back side of the cabin and dropped back onto the trail but it seems as if we may have used up all of the tamer areas right up to the closure signs.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about needing to poke up a waterfall at silent. Is this like a waterfall at Eagles, or is this something pretty tame that would be fairly easy to accomplish?

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been reading about needing to poke up a waterfall at silent. Is this like a waterfall at Eagles, or is this something pretty tame that would be fairly easy to accomplish?

The water fall is no big deal at all. If he made it up to top of the world that’s a way bigger climb. Silent is a good area to take him for sure.

Reactions: RXN

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Silent Pass is a pretty easy area after the Waterfall area. Seems where you went in Quartz it would make sense to try that area. It’s a bit of a ride in on groomed trail.

Most of the easier areas in Golden requires decent clear days.

Gorman is another open area and be aware of Avy areas.

Either area is well within his capability by the sounds of what you posted regarding Quartz.

Just be safe.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was set on not riding Gorman. I was hoping silent would be a decent option, but I do not want to get to the fall and find out it is more than he is comfortable with.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing to note that I just read about was the radio controlled travel on the FSR.

Unfortunately we are only running BCA links and there are no programmed channels on them to be able to call the mile markers.

Any other suggestions?

He is pretty disheartened about having to head back to quartz tomorrow…. And I am disheartened about travelling to sicamous with the time change and the drive time it could work out to be one hell of a long day.

Again, thank you all for your replies. I really do appreciate the help.

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing to note that I just read about was the radio controlled travel on the FSR.

Unfortunately we are only running BCA links and there are no programmed channels on them to be able to call the mile markers.

Any other suggestions?

He is pretty disheartened about having to head back to quartz tomorrow…. And I am disheartened about travelling to sicamous with the time change and the drive time it could work out to be one hell of a long day.

You might be able to follow someone that has a radio to silent pass

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Any other suggestions?

If you get to the ticket booth for Silent Pass early morning you can always follow someone with a radio.

Worse case scenario for the Waterfall would be double up and walk back down but that’s highly unlikely required. There is also a way around the waterfall. But it’s not a waterfall, it’s a single track hill usually. My 54 year old wife does it easily.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I think we will head out towards Silent in the am and give it a whirl.

The radio idea spooks me a bit, but I guess it is just a good excuse to spend some coin on some new tech when I return home from the trip.

I will be sure to post the findings tomorrow night when we return.

Now let’s hope the snow gods bless us with a huge dump up top tonight lol

smc

Reaction score
alpine IT in golden sells radios with the RR channels already programmed in. or golden snowmobile rentals sells or rents them too. they are a good thing to own for sure.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I think we will head out towards Silent in the am and give it a whirl.

The radio idea spooks me a bit, but I guess it is just a good excuse to spend some coin on some new tech when I return home from the trip.

I will be sure to post the findings tomorrow night when we return.

Now let’s hope the snow gods bless us with a huge dump up top tonight lol

silent bud, if your kid is on a 800 and has no problems going to 51 or top of the world, waterfall will be easy peasy.

beyond that, go hit up gorman. snow is lacking, avy risk will be low risk. id be more conerned with rocks personally, there area hasnt seen a major snowfall event in almost 5 weeks now.

if your willing to travel a little... hit up rocky point.... should be alot less tracks up here. bumper deep says some local crew buds.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife was talking about there this evening. At this point we are just cruising the internet to see what the best option is.

Would the riding area of Forester be about the same as Quartz?

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
silent bud, if your kid is on a 800 and has no problems going to 51 or top of the world, waterfall will be easy peasy.

beyond that, go hit up gorman. snow is lacking, avy risk will be low risk. id be more conerned with rocks personally, there area hasnt seen a major snowfall event in almost 5 weeks now.

if your willing to travel a little... hit up rocky point.... should be alot less tracks up here. bumper deep says some local crew buds.

Respectfully, I would not recommend Rocky Point now. You have to cross multiple avy paths to access the area, and conditions right now are spicy!

Top Bottom