valemount cops bored again so lets pick on some sledders again

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleddinYogi

Reaction score
I got pulled over the other weekend as well. Me and my buddy had our sleds on the deck. The rcmp stopped us and got out his measuring tape, and measured the amount of overhang we had. My sled, luckily, was within an inch of the legal limit, but he still issued a warning.

It doesn't make much sense to me, why would you pester the major revenue for that town. Without us sledders the town would not be able to stay afloat!

That was just one time, sorry to hear about your luck man!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how about a warning?

you can be as safe as you want and read all the legislation and still miss something.

a simple lesson or instruction on how to correctly do something the way they want to see it would go along way.

yes if all your tires are bald and you dont have trailer brakes and your safety chains are MIA then yes you deserve a ticket.

if you get nailed for the same thing the second time you deserve whats coming.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you know what i honestly think is that the rcmp detachmant has to justify paying their wages, and in a town with 600 residents how many local tickets can you give out over and over?? this is just my thought on the subject, so why not target the easier things that are totally visible and at least they have a reason to pull you over and go from there, gotta create revenue somehow, the town wont pay their wages and cost of the building to run, man some of the vehicles running around town there guaranteed if they were to do a check on them they would have a whole bunch of fines. What ever the case getting pulled over in the total daytime for not having covered driving lights is the most sorry fine i have heard of. I was in a whole line of traffic coming from allen creek doing the speed limit "no ch!t" and he was coming fron the other direction about 5 miles from town, all of a sudden i see his brake lights come on in my side mirror but there was 4 other sledders behind me also, it took him till in front of the best western to pass everyone else and catch up to me just to pull me over for that, still laugh about that they have that much time on their hands to just stop someone for that, i have 2 friends in the city police and they laugh about my story and say they are just bored. What ever keeps the town going i guess.

Everything can be explained by statistics. Small towns like Valemount with respect to hockey arenas, curling rinks and police have an inordinate supply per capita as compared to larger centres. I think CR 500 is correct in saying that in small towns like Valemount the locals are their friends and neighbors and they see them almost every day so typically those are the people they save the warnings for as they do not like to take the ch!t and abuse that would be involved issuing your neigbor or your sons' hockey coach an expensive ticket. I am sure the higher powers in the RCMP would require at least a certain number of tickets handed out in a small town on a weekly basis or it looks like you are not working very hard not to mention the lack of revenue generation. That being said the tickets would likely be saved for the out of town people. These two factors combined mean that it is much more likely you will get a ticket as a person from out of town in a small town than you ever would in a larger centre. For the last 4 years I have spent about 50 days a year in Valemount (200 days more or less) and about 9000 days in Edmonton over the last 26 years. I have been stopped by the police many more times in Valemount in the last couple of years just visiting than in 26 years living in Edmonton. Does not matter whether it is Tofield, McBride or Valemount or any other small town that is the reality of the situation. What I have learned from all this is that you must be on your best behavior as one from out of town spending any time in any small town as you will get stopped that is just the statistics working against you. The stuff you can get away with in a large centre like Edmonton you will not get away with in a small town and knowing this you must govern yourself accordingly.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I herd that their trying to stop these big events after what happened in Revy last year. that comes from a relaible sourse from someone that i talked to a few minutes ago, that is involved with the governement and it is also gonna be alberta Rcmp clamping done on the travelers with the trailers heading into BC this weekend. Just wanted to share this info with everyone.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering do they crack down on the semis just as hard? Never seen a sled trailer wreck but usually a good semi banger at least every couple of days.

Been to a couple of wrecks with sled trailers, one was hauling quads and rolled onto it's side, all were tied down, not one quad damaged, even with the trailer being a write-off. Went to one with 3 sleds in trailer, the one sled tied down was undamaged, the other 2 were smacked up pretty good as they were on the bottom side of the wreck. They crackdown harder on semis, I'm always hauling crap out of the scales to impound or repair shops, you'd sh!t if you really new about the crap that is hurtling down the highway at you, whether it be a semi or grandma's cadillac. The new thermal imaging equipment that DOT has now is really making it easy to spot the problems with vehicles. Be thankful that someone is out there trying to make things better, unfortunately, there just isn't enough time and manpower to check every vehicle or every driver.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I herd that their trying to stop these big events after what happened in Revy last year. that comes from a relaible sourse from someone that i talked to a few minutes ago, that is involved with the governement and it is also gonna be alberta Rcmp clamping done on the travelers with the trailers heading into BC this weekend. Just wanted to share this info with everyone.

this isnt an event. all you do is show up to allen creek, at the cabin, take your pic and go do your own thing. all thats really organized if the dinner for everyone.

same as the BIS, just show up and ride if you want and spectate if you dont.

on the other note. just pulled into vale and well never got stopped and seen about 6 cops from jasper to valemount. only one person pulled over by moose lake..

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even worse if you ever drove a truck you cringe at the word Tete Juane

I got pulled over the other weekend as well. Me and my buddy had our sleds on the deck. The rcmp stopped us and got out his measuring tape, and measured the amount of overhang we had. My sled, luckily, was within an inch of the legal limit, but he still issued a warning.

It doesn't make much sense to me, why would you pester the major revenue for that town. Without us sledders the town would not be able to stay afloat!

Pester?

I'd call it making sure you are safe and following the law. Wow:confused:

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What is the legal length of overhang ( from the rear tail lights I assume) and if you are past that, do you need to just flag or are marker lights needed?

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pester?

I'd call it making sure you are safe and following the law. Wow:confused:

Maybe you should stop trying to piss everyone in this thread off and just let the boys rant, everyone knows that cops are known to be more thorough with sledders than any other demograffic, why this is is beyond me as we do bring a rediculous amount of revenue to these smaller towns. Lets just say that we should all try to follow the rules closer and that the RC'S should probably be a little less ignorant to us. Fair enough?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
What is the legal length of overhang ( from the rear tail lights I assume) and if you are past that, do you need to just flag or are marker lights needed?
Do a search,theres been at least 6 threads about that!!!

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not bc. It's small towns. Go to St Albert late on a Friday night with a vehicle registered to edmonton. Chances are good they will stop u Been pulled over Tons in small towns everywhere. As far as being picked on.... I have had 13 trip to Revi this year already and never even seen a cop there's posts on here that say golden RCMP are doing to same.. Keep your stuff maintained. Trailer Plate visible and you won't be that guy. I have (4) kc 10" lights on my truck and haven't been harassed. That being said I know that they want covers. So if I get a ticket oh well. I take rocky.nordegg to the parkway and then the pass. I leave every Thursday night at midnight for Revi. All night on moose and deer riden highways. I need my lights and those roads have very little traffic. I also leave Revi at 11 pm bc time so I can work Monday. Also night drive the way home. Tickets or not expect to follow the law or pay $$$. Be safe!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Now that they've read that and know your schedule your hooped....

Just sayin...

It's not bc. It's small towns. Go to St Albert late on a Friday night with a vehicle registered to edmonton. Chances are good they will stop u Been pulled over Tons in small towns everywhere. As far as being picked on.... I have had 13 trip to Revi this year already and never even seen a cop there's posts on here that say golden RCMP are doing to same.. Keep your stuff maintained. Trailer Plate visible and you won't be that guy. I have (4) kc 10" lights on my truck and haven't been harassed. That being said I know that they want covers. So if I get a ticket oh well. I take rocky.nordegg to the parkway and then the pass. I leave every Thursday night at midnight for Revi. All night on moose and deer riden highways. I need my lights and those roads have very little traffic. I also leave Revi at 11 pm bc time so I can work Monday. Also night drive the way home. Tickets or not expect to follow the law or pay $$$. Be safe!!

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you know what i honestly think is that the rcmp detachmant has to justify paying their wages, and in a town with 600 residents how many local tickets can you give out over and over?? this is just my thought on the subject, so why not target the easier things that are totally visible and at least they have a reason to pull you over and go from there, gotta create revenue somehow, the town wont pay their wages and cost of the building to run, man some of the vehicles running around town there guaranteed if they were to do a check on them they would have a whole bunch of fines. What ever the case getting pulled over in the total daytime for not having covered driving lights is the most sorry fine i have heard of. I was in a whole line of traffic coming from allen creek doing the speed limit "no ch!t" and he was coming fron the other direction about 5 miles from town, all of a sudden i see his brake lights come on in my side mirror but there was 4 other sledders behind me also, it took him till in front of the best western to pass everyone else and catch up to me just to pull me over for that, still laugh about that they have that much time on their hands to just stop someone for that, i have 2 friends in the city police and they laugh about my story and say they are just bored. What ever keeps the town going i guess.

I think sledders are the perfect target to generate revenue 'cause they will always keep coming back for the terrain.
I can't imagine how many tickets they'd have to issue before sledders started going to Bumfluff Saskatchewan instead.
Alta plates.... Perfect!! They'll just pay their fines and do their complaining on some website;)
Sad fact it's not so much about catching the bad guy now a days as it is about revenue generation:(

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
just tell them bogger is 5 minutes behind you, and they will have to let you go, to ramp up for bogger, they will likely need a new ticket book.:d

when you live life as a hobbit with a big mouth you get pretty good at talking your way outta chit.... or get tough

I'm not tough....

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks CUSO,

Just like in any situation, if they see something illegal they will stop you. This has nothing to do with the town and it wasnt just valemount;)

You really think we can tell the cops what to or not to enforce?:confused: Out of the 400 sledders riding here this weekend. How many got a ticket.

The town does know and appreciate the business brought by sledders, you are the only reason any of us can remain in our little paradise, please dont take this out on them. Your business is crucial, but WE CANNOT CONTROL the RCMP

The best way to get your message accross locally would be to please write a letter to the paper expressing your opinion!

This is my 24th year riding Valemount and I have NEVER been stopped by the RCMP in town, got one speeding ticket going around Jasper and the guy was more than a nice to me so I have no complaints, I do however feel for the guys getting pulled over because it would not make for a great weekend that's for sure. I guess the bottom line is if they see a reason to pull you over your going to get it. Time to get rid of my tinted windows I guess :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom