Stop Supporting the Chit Bags!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont get offended. i just apreciate facts. and experiences arent facts hence why i left my experiences out. no one cares when i talk about how many folded up cats doos and poos ive seen. every rock tree and fence post is different.

Last edited:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also appreciate facts, if I listened to every guy on here with a bad Polaris sled I would not take mine out of the garage. So what are we getting here facts or experiences?

Trench

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your saying that the PRO is heavier making it stronger.. and there is a price to pay for having a lighter sled.... The Pro RMK 163 weighs in at 437 Lbs....The Summit 163 X comes in at 464lbs. Im not a doctor...but "There is a price to pay for having the lightest sled on the hill, that price is strength."

I really think you guys should weigh the sleds and not take a pre-production estimated weight target that Polaris published when they weighed the sled with a tank full of helium, as gospel. They were targetting 431 lbs, the RMK was estimated at 440 lbs, the Pro at 437, not sure what the final production values ended up as, but I will bet $20 that its more than 440 lbs. Cat said it's 800 makes 164 HP too....LOL I'm more inclined to believe that the Doo weighs less once they are ready to ride, full of fluids. I also think the XP has a better riding position so the sled feels more balanced when riding, even if it is 10 lbs heavier.

Also, weight-wise - I am referencing the bulkheads specifically, I'd be surprised if the Polaris bulkhead weighed less than the XP, maybe it does, can't say for sure. They did cast some pieces together to cut the weight, but I don't think the Pro weight loss came entirely from the bulkhead ;) but it did come from the silencer that dropped 7lbs, and also the rear suspension, in addition to the bulkhead. The bulkhead was claiming 300% more torsional rigidity I guess, if you go by the #'s but that's compared to the old chassis, not to the XP.

And I never said its bulky, therefore its strong. Its stronger because the metal in the RMK bulkhead is thicker and its made from cast pieces, not stamped out of aluminum, at least from the one I saw. They can cast support into the pieces to make them stronger, unlike stamped pieces that need to be fabricated together to gain strength. I know you guys believe what you believe, not trying to take anything away from the XP. Some guys love to jump on people that ride anything different I guess.... :confused: Go to a dealership and look at one, you might be surprised.

All that being said - I would still never buy one. LOL

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I really think you guys should weigh the sleds and not take a pre-production estimated weight target that Polaris published when they weighed the sled with a tank full of helium, as gospel. They were targetting 431 lbs, the RMK was estimated at 440 lbs, the Pro at 437, not sure what the final production values ended up as, but I will bet $20 that its more than 440 lbs. Cat said it's 800 makes 164 HP too....LOL I'm more inclined to believe that the Doo weighs less once they are ready to ride, full of fluids. I also think the XP has a better riding position so the sled feels more balanced when riding, even if it is 10 lbs heavier.

Also, weight-wise - I am referencing the bulkheads specifically, I'd be surprised if the Polaris bulkhead weighed less than the XP, maybe it does, can't say for sure. They did cast some pieces together to cut the weight, but I don't think the Pro weight loss came entirely from the bulkhead ;) but it did come from the silencer that dropped 7lbs, and also the rear suspension, in addition to the bulkhead. The bulkhead was claiming 300% more torsional rigidity I guess, if you go by the #'s but that's compared to the old chassis, not to the XP.

And I never said its bulky, therefore its strong. Its stronger because the metal in the RMK bulkhead is thicker and its made from cast pieces, not stamped out of aluminum, at least from the one I saw. They can cast support into the pieces to make them stronger, unlike stamped pieces that need to be fabricated together to gain strength. I know you guys believe what you believe, not trying to take anything away from the XP. Some guys love to jump on people that ride anything different I guess.... :confused: Go to a dealership and look at one, you might be surprised.

All that being said - I would still never buy one. LOL
Ill have to go to a dealership and have a look at an XP close up then. If you don't mind me asking... What sleds WOULD you buy?

KLX140

Reaction score
People tend to post and speak up about PROBLEMS... you could find a genuine and legitamate complaint about EVERY brand on here... obviously they are all doing something right, or they wouldnt have been around for as long as the "major players" have been.
We have personally dealt with Polaris for years, and have had a few issues (im not going to pretend anything is perfect) but its mechanical, stuff is bound to go wrong sometimes. For the most part, it has been all positive.
Theres lots of opinions out there, but they are just that, OPINIONS. I dont think rallying people against a brand in general is a good use of your time. Perhaps try encouraging people to buy a brand you DO support. You catch more flys with honey, as they say.

speeder72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a ski -doo and recently bought a new pro.Just returned from 4 days of riding in Idaho with a bunch of guys who were all riding cats .Everyone swapped sleds around and nobody had a bad thing to say about the pro...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill have to go to a dealership and have a look at an XP close up then. If you don't mind me asking... What sleds WOULD you buy?

haha - that's a loaded question because I don't have a specific preference. They all have good points and bad points. I ride both cat and doo.

I would buy an XP, I would also buy a Cat, I'm on the fence about yammy. I think that Polaris is on the right track with the chassis design and keeping the weak links as the parts that are easily replaced, but the significant motor failures and lack of customer service support leave me very leary.

I like the XP overall as a sled, I absolutely love the riding position. I'm not sure about Doo's crank reliability, it scares me a little. But the weight and the neutral balance of the Doo is a huge positive. The e-tech is a little unproven yet, the crank issue scares me more than the e-tech failing though. Cramped engine compartment is a negative IMO, but they have a better suspension design than the others IMO. Really looking to the e-tec to come through a season without issue and it will be probably sitting on my trailer next season hopefully.

Cat's motor is top notch, can't argue with that, very rarely hear about issues with them. EFI is proven, easy to mess with via addition of a fuel controller. I like how Cat is still in the traditional sled format with lift up hood, very easy to work on compared to some of the others. The chassis is a little dated for sure, but if it ain't broke don't fix it, they still work well. They do not seem to be as rider forward as others, which unbalances the sled a little IMO. Chassis is "strong" and well designed, although Cat seems to have bought into the "designer" fad a little IMO with things like Fox shocks (for example) to try and keep the weights down and comparable, but it seems like a lot of their add-ons need more playing with than providing any benefits. My buddy has the Floats and he spends more time on his knees pumping than Paris Hilton. And he sags out just as fast as the others on a rough trail, again, seemed to be a designer trend thing used on the race track that transitioned to the hills, I ride the mountains and powder not a motocross track so I could really care less about adjustable rebound damping etc.

Yammy - gotta love 4 stroke reliability, change oil once a year, add gas, turn key and go. Add boost and you got a wicked sled. Boost adds complexity and big boost race gas can become an expensive sled,even running on Av gas (was $1.74/L the other week when I bought some) so running costs on a season can rise quickly. People say you can't boondock with a boosted yammy, I got a buddy that can show you otherwise. Have watched him turn that thing out in some very interesting places, don't believe me..... ask snowmobilerecyclers if a yammy can turn around going downhill like it was a 2 stroke. :D Couldn't get the camera out fast enough or I'd have that one on video. Here's a little vid of him playing around though https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/little-vid-jan-4-a-24434.html
Yes they are heavy, suspensions leave a little to be desired as well and the nice fit and finish seems to cause some issues with things like snow ingestion IMO (lots of little panels that come loose/get knocked off) but I'm interested to try a new nytro with the updated Timbersled skid that is available right from Yamaha. I'm heading out with a fresh built boosted Nytro next weekend so maybe the opinion will really improve after that ride. should have some video.

Hope that somewhat answers your question. I know that each sled and rider are different and everyone has different experiences so these are just my opinions.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People tend to post and speak up about PROBLEMS... you could find a genuine and legitamate complaint about EVERY brand on here... obviously they are all doing something right, or they wouldnt have been around for as long as the "major players" have been.
We have personally dealt with Polaris for years, and have had a few issues (im not going to pretend anything is perfect) but its mechanical, stuff is bound to go wrong sometimes. For the most part, it has been all positive.
Theres lots of opinions out there, but they are just that, OPINIONS. I dont think rallying people against a brand in general is a good use of your time. Perhaps try encouraging people to buy a brand you DO support. You catch more flys with honey, as they say.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say, they all have issues. On this site it seems Polaris is junk and the Doo is the best thing going.

Trench

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its simply statistics. look at my poll from a few months back. doo controlls over 45% of the mountain sled market. at least ON THIS FORUM FROM PEOPLE WHO VOTED.

next was cat then polaris.

what that meant was there were 50% more summits on the hill than RMKs.

so yes this site may be a little biased towards doo simply because doo riders outnumber the rest?

now there are the same or less doo blow up stories on this site in comparison to rmk blow up stories but with 50% more users....what does this say?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have always owned polaris and have never had trouble getting warranty or trouble with them backing their products. Never had a major engine failure.
I guess the other sled companies are perfect and their dealers are the best in the biz. I would agree some sleds are lemons, however if your getting beat by your friend and he is on a equal 800, perhaps its not the sled and more the rider.
I actually believe its polaris's way of weeding out the undesirable riders. We don't want you giving our beloved machines a bad name so we have the manufacturing plant purpasly build you a junker so that next year you buy from the compition thus keeping the good quality riders on good quality machines.

HAHAHAHAHA, everyone has to have something to complain about and you can't keep everyone happy.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris! Every day I chime in on threads about how terrible polaris products are, how many engines people have gone through and how polaris won't back up their warranty. I was in that position with polaris one time, and one time only! WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP BUYING THESE PIECES OF CHIT?
It blows my mind to talk to polaris riders out here and listen to the same chit year after year. "They said they fixed the problem for next year." And people continue to loose there azzes on a sled, get nothing for it selling it, and buy next years product hoping for something better only to get screwed AGAIN!
STOP BUYING POLARIS UNTIL THEY PROVE THEMSELVES, not only with a decent product, but with customer relations! And boy, do they have a long way to go in order to do that!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, IMO - I love my Poo, only rider in my group that has one, but have enjoyed the sled and I seem to keep up with the group. From what I have observed through time is that nothing is built to last, luck and the type of rider usually makes or breaks each sled...

Would I buy another Poo - you bet!

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also think the XP has a better riding position so the sled feels more balanced when riding, even if it is 10 lbs heavier.

That is the thing I can not figure out on the XP, to me it feels completely wrong NO balance at all, feels like it weighs 100lbs more right on the front end. We all know thats not the case but I can't ride that thing at all I guess thats why some of us ride doo and some ride pol etc. It's about what feels right for you. I can jump on a Cat no problem. The Nitro to me feels just like a XP something about the steering angle, I really don't know I can't figure out what it is but I LOVE my Pro and it just feels like it takes no effort at all to do what I want it to. The XP feels like I a fighting to make it do what I want. The point is if it works for you and you like it ride that baby. I wish I was in the mountains right now instead of on this stupid computer :rant:

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm really not out to bash brands or put anyone down for liking one brand over another. I couldn't care less what other people ride. I just don't like seeing fellow riders and friends getting screwed over. And for the life of me, I don't understand why people keep going back after getting screwed so bad and getting an "F-off" from the executives. Just doesn't add up to me and it will continue to happen as long as people keep buying them. Polaris is and has been taking advantage of riders brand loyalty. Just sayin'

If this isn't a bash thread i don't know what is?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its simply statistics. look at my poll from a few months back. doo controlls over 45% of the mountain sled market. at least ON THIS FORUM FROM PEOPLE WHO VOTED.

next was cat then polaris.

what that meant was there were 50% more summits on the hill than RMKs.

so yes this site may be a little biased towards doo simply because doo riders outnumber the rest?

now there are the same or less doo blow up stories on this site in comparison to rmk blow up stories but with 50% more users....what does this say?

Also has been a lot less broken jackshaft and chaincase failures on poos. AKA 08 XP!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also has been a lot less broken jackshaft and chaincase failures on poos. AKA 08 XP!

seen one xp chaincase failure since they were released and it had been opened up after the factory for a gearing change. . its called maintenance. we had a spare chain in the truck and it was driven down the hill.

never heard of an xp jackshaft breaking? ever? anyone else?

driveshaft? yes they broke lots of those in the first year but guess what.. no questions asked free replacement and it has been remedied ever since

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen one xp chaincase failure since they were released and it had been opened up after the factory for a gearing change. . its called maintenance. we had a spare chain in the truck and it was driven down the hill.

driveshaft? yes they broke lots of those in the first year but guess what.. no questions asked free replacement and it has been remedied ever since

Your right Doo is the best bet POL's can't keep the 800 from blowing up. The new M8 cats are going into rev by themselves and buddies that have bought them have been told by Cat they don't know what the problem is they have switched out rev control button no luck. Love the XP just takes a little getting used to.:d

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I guess you don't get out much!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This winter was especially hard on my XP,.
I hit stumps, rocks and all kinds of chit with it to send me over the bars...

So far nothing except for a front cooler delete...and a folded ski.

Pretty tough pinecones....IMO.

Modman, that vid was hard to watch,,, if that's boondocking, :eek::rolleyes:

Sorry, just an observation.

Captain Extreme had a chaincase failure, but if anyone rode with him you wouldn't be surprised. He launches his sled like it's supposed to fly.. LOL

Top Bottom