Federal Gov't Handing over Land Control and Money to Nunavut?

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the importance of this relative to other hot-topic items in Today's political Agendas... The article I read seems to skirt around what exactly "giving control over Nunavut's land and resources to the government of Nunavut" implies. Do they reap more monetary benefits from the sale of goods & resources generated by their Territorial economy? Goes on to say that there is a deadline of "April 2027 to get it all done". Get what exactly done?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...1&cvid=883f0a7cf551435c9d1f4b6a9d455807&ei=19

Part of the article also states that "Nunavut will receive an additional $85 million a year from the federal government. How many years does this go on for? And for what reason? Canada will also provide one-time funding to the territory: $67 million for transitional activities, and $15 million for training" Training for what?

They are by far the most recent territory of Canada to be brought into Confederation, which was only done so 25 yrs ago, but does this largely tie back into Canada infringing on land rights with Native Indigenous people? I'm just not seeing what the gain is here... can anyone school me?

Last edited:

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding it more like what's happened in the Yukon and NWT. Gives the territory more autonomy over their own resources and education and healthcare systems. Similar to the autonomy we enjoy in the provinces.
So I guess that makes sense to me. I wonder why the territory wouldn't have been set-up like that from the beginning.

I still don't understand the $85M payout each year

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I guess that makes sense to me. I wonder why the territory wouldn't have been set-up like that from the beginning.

I still don't understand the $85M payout each year

I think that's the extra funding to pay for healthcare housing and education, similar to what the other territories and provinces get.

I think it's a bit misleading, because I believe that money is already spent in Nunavut, now instead of the feds spending it Nunavut will.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's called UNDRIP....

Who cares?

You want to go up there and fight them for the land go ahead. It's a barren, frozen wasteland.

Why shouldn't the people of Nunavut be allowed to govern themselves as they see fit? It's the exact same thing we are still fighting for today here in Alberta.

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who cares?

You want to go up there and fight them for the land go ahead. It's a barren, frozen wasteland.

Why shouldn't the people of Nunavut be allowed to govern themselves as they see fit? It's the exact same thing we are still fighting for today here in Alberta.

Maybe you should look into UNDRIP. It has nothing to do with governing themselves, I know that's what the nice man on tv sells everyone.

Top Bottom