Sneaky move Letbridge AC Dealer

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is frustrating for the dealers. As you mentioned in an earlier post a similar sled was $3000 less than in Canada. Its hard to sell to someone that is going to buy US as there is no $3000 markup in new sleds. You are still out to lunch if you sold it at bare bones cost. You just have to grin and bear it. Thankfully the manufacturers protect the dealers on warranty issues. That is the only card we can play with the consumer. I'm glad to be out of this rat race. Lol.

no doubt, just becomes a lesson in frustration, a few hundred difference is not worth the cross border stuff, and i don't think there would be any rush to do it, but for 2 3000 dollars it can be hard to resist. heck i seen guys in med hat line up out onto the road at a service stn, to buy gas instead of across the street, at .01 cents per litre more. i saw that and went accross the street cost me about .80 cents more, no line up and in and out, while the clowns we just passed were still lined up. sometimes people are there own worst enemy.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
no doubt, just becomes a lesson in frustration, a few hundred difference is not worth the cross border stuff, and i don't think there would be any rush to do it, but for 2 3000 dollars it can be hard to resist. heck i seen guys in med hat line up out onto the road at a service stn, to buy gas instead of across the street, at .01 cents per litre more. i saw that and went accross the street cost me about .80 cents more, no line up and in and out, while the clowns we just passed were still lined up. sometimes people are there own worst enemy.

And the ch!t you sometimes see in Medicine Hat is plucking amazing!

Jan

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the ch!t you sometimes see in Medicine Hat is plucking amazing!

Jan

haha, yes i have spent a bit of time down there, a transient town on the trans canada. i'm sure there are things you don't want to see. lol

brooks is another one, try to stay out of there if possible. man that place can knock your breath out.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Best part is they will burn $5 in gas while waiting in line to save that 80 cents!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is frustrating for the dealers. As you mentioned in an earlier post a similar sled was $3000 less than in Canada. Its hard to sell to someone that is going to buy US as there is no $3000 markup in new sleds. You are still out to lunch if you sold it at bare bones cost. You just have to grin and bear it. Thankfully the manufacturers protect the dealers on warranty issues. That is the only card we can play with the consumer. I'm glad to be out of this rat race. Lol.

So did you or the owner ever ask BRP why they charge more to Canadian dealers than US dealers? Was there ever any complaints made to the federal government?- not that it would have made any difference because this is the darling business of Quebec. Or did you just put up with it without saying anything?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pop, you raise an interesting point. Is BRP a big deal in Quebec?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So did you or the owner ever ask BRP why they charge more to Canadian dealers than US dealers? Was there ever any complaints made to the federal government?- not that it would have made any difference because this is the darling business of Quebec. Or did you just put up with it without saying anything?
I think every dealer has asked BRP this question at one time or another. The explanation I got years ago was it was related to the dollar and the cost of inputs when they were purchased. I was told raw products such as aluminum, steel and plastics are purchased years in advance and they say they cannot react to pricing because of this. An example I guess would be if they bought products 2 years in advance and the Canadian dollar was 80 cents and then when the sleds were sold the dollar is 98 cents. They have to then sell in a loss position so to speak? Thus pricing goes up. I have no idea why we have not been at par for the last 5 years with the Cdn dollar positioned as well as it is? They can definately explain it so you become confused quickly. I personally believe it is sold at what the consumer will pay. A point that was brought up in that Marketplace vid earlier in the thread.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think every dealer has asked BRP this question at one time or another. The explanation I got years ago was it was related to the dollar and the cost of inputs when they were purchased. I was told raw products such as aluminum, steel and plastics are purchased years in advance and they say they cannot react to pricing because of this. An example I guess would be if they bought products 2 years in advance and the Canadian dollar was 80 cents and then when the sleds were sold the dollar is 98 cents. They have to then sell in a loss position so to speak? Thus pricing goes up. I have no idea why we have not been at par for the last 5 years with the Cdn dollar positioned as well as it is? They can definately explain it so you become confused quickly. I personally believe it is sold at what the consumer will pay. A point that was brought up in that Marketplace vid earlier in the thread.

yes the price of building materials etc has absolutly no bearing on price difference between canada and usa. makes no sense. tariffs, shipping, and volume may have some effect on pricing, brp would have no tariffs to worry about, shipping to stares should be a little higher, volume maybe. but not 30%

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes the price of building materials etc has absolutly no bearing on price difference between canada and usa. makes no sense. tariffs, shipping, and volume may have some effect on pricing, brp would have no tariffs to worry about, shipping to stares should be a little higher, volume maybe. but not 30%

It would be interesting to see what the difference in # of BRP units sold in Canada vs, the USA are. I bet you the difference is large. Also, shipping to (and across) the USA will be cheaper than shipping across Canada. And the fact that world markets are based on the US dollar always being worth a dollar. The Canadian dollar could be at par for 10 years and you would still see Canadian made products being sold for less money in the US. Back when the stock market crashed a few years ago, and our dollar went from near par to 20-25 cents to the negative (overnight)...we lost thousands on deals that were already signed, sealed and delivered because we didn't have more than a couple percent buffer in pricing. BRP will never be in such a position, because their pricing is based on a worst case scenario. We now hedge the dollar to combat this with our company. The price difference (being that we are in the import game) makes perfectly logical sense to me, but I am looking at it from a business standpoint...not a consumer view.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good friend of mine lives in Fernie. Couple years back they were renovating their home. Shopped around for new windows and found them to be 30% less across the border at Home Depot than from the manufacturer in Calgary. That was 30% less AFTER GST. Friend said he watched the trucks drive by Fernie to deliver said windows to the HD across the border. How does that make any sense!!??

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason is we can afford it and buying in record numbers for years, slow our economy down to a crawl where nobody can afford toys or do renos or build homes then things might change. Where is FREE TRADE.

Top Bottom