Recession just around the corner?

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^ I agree but there is no tomorrow if you can't get through today. Everyone, every company is trying to find a way through this. The next few months are really going to be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it happened. I will be laid off in the next few weeks. After almost 31 years of working at the parts dept at Finning and the warehouse is done, adios, everyone getting laid off. Wow never thought it would happen to me!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
well it happened. I will be laid off in the next few weeks. After almost 31 years of working at the parts dept at Finning and the warehouse is done, adios, everyone getting laid off. Wow never thought it would happen to me!!!

Well buddy, that sucks! Sorry for your worry and turmoil.

So, as I understand it, they are keeping some of the sales staff and small working office in the valley?

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you had a pretty good run, the mining industry has more up & downs than a hooker's panties.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they are keeping a small staff at the new trailer office in Elkford. No parts people and no warehouse to service the 5 coal mines that run cat equipment
Well buddy, that sucks! Sorry for your worry and turmoil.

So, as I understand it, they are keeping some of the sales staff and small working office in the valley?

WarrenG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister was laid off by Finning here in Edmonton as they slashed their support departments and got rid of a bunch of HR types and office staff.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

At 31 years I would think you would be getting a nice severance package! Just trying to find the silver lining in a bad situation! Sorry to hear to but just remember as one door closes another opens.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks neilsledder Its just a bit scary to say the least and I will feel better when the serverance package if they don't try to screw from us is in the bank
At 31 years I would think you would be getting a nice severance package! Just trying to find the silver lining in a bad situation! Sorry to hear to but just remember as one door closes another opens.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently the cat rental store in Bonnyville is completely shutdown. Called the other day and the phone just rang and rang. Called the lloyd store to see what was up and they said they are servicing the bonnyville area now.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had his position terminated last week after 25years and they are going to pay him full wage for 18 months or untill he finds a job.Needless to say he's in no rush to find one,maybe the economy will be better by then.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy had his position terminated last week after 25years and they are going to pay him full wage for 18 months or untill he finds a job.Needless to say he's in no rush to find one,maybe the economy will be better by then.

Wow. That would be ok.

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Surprised that they didnt give him a big " package " 25 years would have been sweet

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get it in writing ......!

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't sell your self short 18 months is not nearly enough severance for some one with your years of service. Don't accept any thing without getting legal advice and I am not talking about a lawyer in a shopping center. Only a lawyer that specializes in employment matters can advise you properly. If you need an employment lawyers number PM me I will provide you with a name and number. You deserve a lot more then 18 months, try 36 months and comprehensive counselling and retraining etc. etc., you earned it and deserve it. Good luck. P S Forgot to mention extended health care coverage.
Wow. That would be ok.

Last edited:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's not a good package, too bad he didn't seek advice as he deserves more for sure.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What type of package have you guys seen pay out especially in this economy??? It's usually two weeks for every year of service, and it's unknown if he was under contract or not.

But yes, no not sign anything until your lay off letter and severance package is gone over with a labor lawyer. We're you salary or hourly?

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
18 months isn't good enough? Rumour at work is people have gotten 1 month per year of service. That puts me at 3 months if I get let go.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't sell your self short 18 months is not nearly enough severance for some one with your years of service. Don't accept any thing without getting legal advice and I am not talking about a lawyer in a shopping center. Only a lawyer that specializes in employment matters can advise you properly. If you need an employment lawyers number PM me I will provide you with a name and number. You deserve a lot more then 18 months, try 36 months and comprehensive counselling and retraining etc. etc., you earned it and deserve it. Good luck. P S Forgot to mention extended health care coverage.
I think that offer is extremely generous, if you push to hard they can simply go to the law of the local area.

As per labor relations code in the province of BC:

An employee who is terminated may be eligible for compensation based on the following formula:

• After three consecutive months of employment – one week’s pay;
  • After 12 consecutive months of employment – two weeks’ pay;
  • After three consecutive years – three weeks’ pay, plus one week’s pay for each additional year of employment to a maximum of eight weeks.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employment-standards-advice/employment-standards/factsheets/termination-of-employment

Top Bottom