Recession just around the corner?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but here is what I know. This type of matter is governed by common law. Which refers to precedence's that have been set in other cases similar to Lucky 7. There are dozens of factors that play into the settlement. Of particular concern is the age of the person the prospects for a new job. In extreme cases early retirement package is the best option or both parties. I would sure be nice if a lawyer would chime in an elaborate.

And I also believe you are naive. If a company such a Finning wanted to screw you they can also put their lawyers to work and use the labour code to their advantage. They show that they have paid every pay period on time, have paid every overtime as stated, paid all holiday pay, met all their commitments to the employee as per the labour code, now that they are having financial problems they are envoking the same provisions to their benefit. As per the stated labour code in BC receiving an offer of 18 months pay FAR out weighs the obligation of the maximum of 8 weeks which I why I see it as a generous package.

The way you put it, I guess all corporations should lay off all employees after a certain time of service because at a certain point they are permanently attached at the hip.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I also believe you are naive. If a company such a Finning wanted to screw you they can also put their lawyers to work and use the labour code to their advantage. They show that they have paid every pay period on time, have paid every overtime as stated, paid all holiday pay, met all their commitments to the employee as per the labour code, now that they are having financial problems they are envoking the same provisions to their benefit. As per the stated labour code in BC receiving an offer of 18 months pay FAR out weighs the obligation of the maximum of 8 weeks which I why I see it as a generous package.

The way you put it, I guess all corporations should lay off all employees after a certain time of service because at a certain point they are permanently attached at the hip.
Crap Tom look at Finning stock what make you think they are having financial problems???? Who is naive? Got a go suppers ready.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap Tom look at Finning stock what make you think they are having financial problems???? Who is naive? Got a go suppers ready.

Yeah, there shutting down locations and laying people off right and left because they are making huge profits right now.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, there shutting down locations and laying people off right and left because they are making huge profits right now.
As someone who was laid off by Finning in February I know there is something up. Our market share is dwindling fast. I don't know what's going on. I was fortunate enough to get back on with the company in a non union role but at a significant pay decrease. I feel for lucky 7 for sure. The company is not what it was years ago. We are no longer Joe Employee we are now number 13556, Finning has lost its family feel and it's very discouraging. My Uncle worked for the company for 41 years and even he says it's gotten worse in the past 8 since he's retired.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gota Go but here is the first thing that came up when I Goggled Severance The ins and outs of job severance - The Globe and Mail

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tyler G. I started back in the day with R.Angus and when Finning bought them I was so happy about it. Things down here changed in 2011 with the strike. I will give you a call tomorrow as I still have a few days left.
As someone who was laid off by Finning in February I know there is something up. Our market share is dwindling fast. I don't know what's going on. I was fortunate enough to get back on with the company in a non union role but at a significant pay decrease. I feel for lucky 7 for sure. The company is not what it was years ago. We are no longer Joe Employee we are now number 13556, Finning has lost its family feel and it's very discouraging. My Uncle worked for the company for 41 years and even he says it's gotten worse in the past 8 since he's retired.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks neilsledder Its just a bit scary to say the least and I will feel better when the serverance package if they don't try to screw from us is in the bank

Sorry to hear luck!
Scary is, well, scary but life is all about change.
Keep the right attitude!

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get real Lenny Coal is pretty well done, the shut down at the Sparwood operation was to increase the corporate profits in the long run. I have no problem with that its a free country, however they are morally and legal obligated to mitigate the disruption to the employees and in this case a long time employee that is affected by their decision to make more profit by closing down the operation. They could have down sized the operation and protected the long term employees but they decided to virtually shut it down. Don't worry about finning they know the law and know their financial obligations. P.S. Never been in a union or on strike in my life. But I do know right from wrong.

sorry lucky7 to seem like I'm on your case and not sympathetic, I certainly am and hope it works out for you. But, Keith, they're closing it down man, and I don't know the situation but I can pretty well guarantee you it's not cause it's way to profitable. And when guys suggest compensation packages of 18 months wouldn't be satisfactory cause they owe an employee way more than that for the years of service, I gotta say, seriously ! It's a job , and hurray for the guys who , for whatever reason , choose to stay with any job or company for long periods of time, in almost every case there will have been lots of ways during those years of bonuses, perks, favours, and little extra loyalty rewards, or most likely that employee would have moved on. And c'mon, suggesting that a company should just downsize rather than eliminate a store, when they believe that's their best option only because of their employees, that's hardly realistic, tough on people , but sad as it sounds , it's about the money. Sounds to me like Finning must have did ok by lucky7 over the years he chose to work for them, paid him the whole time a wage he was obviously satisfied with, but as you said , get real, the coal is done, hence their primary reason for having a store there is gone.
Sorry, sounds like the entitlement attitude so many seem to be afflicted with lately, no , thanks for the last 30 years of employment, just what are you gonna do for ME next.

Last edited by a moderator:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey LennyR. today was a better day as I learned a bit more about the pension and the severance package and maybe its time for me to leave with my head held high and proud of what I have done there. The summer is here and the boating season is upon us. I got paid fairly good with double time on overtime and made a life for myself and my family and if the master plan is to go to the call centers then good LUCK because they are going to need it and I won't have to deal with the mess afterwards.
sorry lucky7 to seem like I'm on your case and not sympathetic, I certainly am and hope it works out for you. But, Keith, they're closing it down man, and I don't know the situation but I can pretty well guarantee you it's not cause it's way to profitable. And when guys suggest compensation packages of 18 months wouldn't be satisfactory cause they owe an employee way more than that for the years of service, I gotta say, seriously ! It's a job , and hurray for the guys who , for whatever reason , choose to stay with any job or company for long periods of time, in almost every case there will have been lots of ways during those years of bonuses, perks, favours, and little extra loyalty rewards, or most likely that employee would have moved on. And c'mon, suggesting that a company should just downsize rather than eliminate a store, when they believe that's their best option only because of their employees, that's hardly realistic, tough on people , but sad as it sounds , it's about the money. Sounds to me like Finning must have did ok by lucky7 over the years he chose to work for them, paid him the whole time a wage he was obviously satisfied with, but as you said , get real, the coal is done, hence their primary reason for having a store there is gone.
Sorry, sounds like the entitlement attitude so many seem to be afflicted with lately, no , thanks for the last 30 years of employment, just what are you gonna do for ME next.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look I know their are lots of lemming's that will jump to their death when every one else does. Then there are some who feel that they should be dealt with fairly and equitably. You may call that a sense of entitlement I don't think it is. Read this it was written by a lawyer who knows peoples rights. The ins and outs of job severance - The Globe and Mail

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look I know their are lots of lemming's that will jump to their death when every one else does. Then there are some who feel that they should be dealt with fairly and equitably. You may call that a sense of entitlement I don't think it is. Read this it was written by a lawyer who knows peoples rights. The ins and outs of job severance - The Globe and Mail

And where is the article from the lawyer who knows the business's rights? Its one lawyers version of the law which is always biased to his views. Another lawyer can write just as convincing report from the opposite side. Thats the joys of lawyerdom.

Walk into a lawyers office and he is only concerned about 2 things, what cut can he get, and what are his chances of getting that cut. If either one is to small, he walks.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck Lucky ... Who knows ,a change is sometimes for the better... Sometimes a fellow is so busy working , he is too busy to see the options open!
In any case , enjoy your time off and look ahead with an open mind .

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You must be quite a young guy, or have very little experience withs lawyers if you believe you can use the words , lawyer, fairly and equitably in the same sentence. As stompin Tom says , where's the opposing viewpoint, which if you know lawyers, the same guy could write and sounds like you may believe that also. Sorry , still sounds like entitlement to me.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey LennyR. today was a better day as I learned a bit more about the pension and the severance package and maybe its time for me to leave with my head held high and proud of what I have done there. The summer is here and the boating season is upon us. I got paid fairly good with double time on overtime and made a life for myself and my family and if the master plan is to go to the call centers then good LUCK because they are going to need it and I won't have to deal with the mess afterwards.

I'm glad to hear this, I wish you all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It will fall into place Randy. The initial scare is scary but the more information you gather the better it will be. Hold your head high and be proud of the service you gave them for 31 years. Give me a shout if you want to chat over a beer about living on fixed income.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good on ya man, i hope it all turns out good for you and your family.

Top Bottom