Recession just around the corner?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
18 months sounds pretty dahm good. I really don't know how you could expect more then that. Maybe structured differently, like 12 months paid and some amount to pay for re-training.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sorry you and your family have to go through this sort of thing, it certainly sucks. But Are some of you guys kidding ? 18 months severance !!!!!! The place of employment is shutting down, And you think that's not good enough ? Yeah it's tough after that long of service, but to me they are showing loyalty and appreciation for your years of service. And you got paid all those years in return. Better hope they don't just throw the situation over to their company labor lawyers, cause you won't like that offer I'm thinking.
And we wonder why we have labor problems in Canada !!!!! Union mentality , strikes again.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was added this year. Construction industry requires no notice for both parties.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 201

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't sell your self short 18 months is not nearly enough severance for some one with your years of service. Don't accept any thing without getting legal advice and I am not talking about a lawyer in a shopping center. Only a lawyer that specializes in employment matters can advise you properly. If you need an employment lawyers number PM me I will provide you with a name and number. You deserve a lot more then 18 months, try 36 months and comprehensive counselling and retraining etc. etc., you earned it and deserve it. Good luck. P S Forgot to mention extended health care coverage.
Aren't a drum banging far right type? And yet you think you're entitled to all this from your employer? Sounds like you can talk the talk but that's about it. It's a job, you earn a paycheque and nothing more no built in entitlement.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And we wonder why we have labor problems in Canada !!!!! Union mentality , strikes again.

I dunno why you would mention that when we don't know the whole story as to the actual positions. Maybe they were Union positions and the reason for the good severances??
Cause I know non Union member stories of layoffs and the severances were a lot worse than that, and had to take the matter to court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got 40 years in and if I were to be layed off , I would get 500 hrs pay as severance and that's it!

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look I have worked at the same job for 34 years and I would be lost if I had to find another job so I have a feeling what it might be like for lucky 7 after 31 years. The BC labour code that Stopin Tom quotes is irrelevant in Lucky 7s case. There are thousands examples of case law that are used as precedence in cases like this. Factors that I am not privy to are how likely is he to get emploment, will he have to move. how old is the person. I am not a expert but I do know that Finning is a multi billion dollar, multi national company that can afford to help a loyal employee get back on his feet. It is foolhardy to except a offer from a HR person who receives a bonuse biased on the amount they save the company on severance packages.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look I have worked at the same job for 34 years and I would be lost if I had to find another job so I have a feeling what it might be like for lucky 7 after 31 years. The BC labour code that Stopin Tom quotes is irrelevant in Lucky 7s case. There are thousands examples of case law that are used as precedence in cases like this. Factors that I am not privy to are how likely is he to get emploment, will he have to move. how old is the person. I am not a expert but I do know that Finning is a multi billion dollar, multi national company that can afford to help a loyal employee get back on his feet. It is foolhardy to except a offer from a HR person who receives a bonuse biased on the amount they save the company on severance packages.

please explain how the BC labour relations code is irrelevant???????????

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you have worked for your company that long, than you really do not know that feeling.
Until you sit in front of HR you have no idea what will happen or what you will be presented, unless your under a union contract.
If you think it will be a negotiation, you're in for a shock.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very sorry you and your family have to go through this sort of thing, it certainly sucks. But Are some of you guys kidding ? 18 months severance !!!!!! The place of employment is shutting down, And you think that's not good enough ? Yeah it's tough after that long of service, but to me they are showing loyalty and appreciation for your years of service. And you got paid all those years in return. Better hope they don't just throw the situation over to their company labor lawyers, cause you won't like that offer I'm thinking.
Get real Lenny Coal is pretty well done, the shut down at the Sparwood operation was to increase the corporate profits in the long run. I have no problem with that its a free country, however they are morally and legal obligated to mitigate the disruption to the employees and in this case a long time employee that is affected by their decision to make more profit by closing down the operation. They could have down sized the operation and protected the long term employees but they decided to virtually shut it down. Don't worry about finning they know the law and know their financial obligations. P.S. Never been in a union or on strike in my life. But I do know right from wrong.

Last edited:

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a few parts to this:

Termination Notice- this is a reasonable amount of time that either the employee or employer is required to provide. Varies from province to province but close to a week to several weeks depending on years of service.

Termination Without Cause- rules vary from province to province but about 2 weeks per year of service with a maximum (cap) at around 43 weeks. When you roll in LTI's, bonus and other compensation, this could end up closer to 1 month pay per year of service to some maximum (I have never seen this exceed 2yrs pay, no matter the years of service or job level).

There can be other considerations including counselling, job placement help etc - company specific and generally not required.

There could be an employment contract in place that prescribes severance requirements.

Termination With Cause - no severance payment.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will tell you that it is SCARY. You are so right this closer is all about increase the profits and yes they could of had a smaller office with a few long term employees. I agree they know the law a lot more that the average worker. I have so many appointments lined up for dentist, doctors, optomitists etc just to get I all done before the benefits run out. Most of us feel we are yesterdays trash. My wife and I have some big decisions to make in the coming months.We thought we would have the next 3 years to make those life decisions. I will keep my toys and enjoy my time off for now.
Get real Lenny Coal is pretty well done, the shut down at the Sparwood operation was to int all done crease the corporate profits in the long run. I have no problem with that its a free country, however they are morally and legal obligated to mitigate the disruption to the employees and in this case a long time employee that is affected by their decision to make more profit by closing down the operation. The could have down sized the operation and protected the long term employees but they decided to virtually shut it down. Don't worry about finning they know the law and know their finical obligations. P.S. Never been in a union or on strike in my life. But I do know right from wrong.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a moronic statement. I seems to me that you are implying that helping a long term employee reestablish his life is frivolous. In my books that makes you a #### head
If they are a big corporation , they must have $$$ for everyone & everything ...right ?
lmfao

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry if you took it that way! Fact is times have changed , a company may no longer survive the length of a persons working career . It is not the company's job to take every one that works for them into a perfect retirement !!
The workers are simply performing a task for compensation , no one held a gun to their head . They all agreed to the employment contract that they signed willingly , I would suggest....
There is a VERY real chance today, that your big company may , fold , restructure , outsource jobs etc etc....
While it sucks to be be in a situation to lose a job after so long, be thankful that it was around that long ! Today's prospects are lucky to FIND a job , let alone know how long it will last...
I always wonder why people that bitch about their employers , just don't start their own company's .... If it is that easy and lucrative , just start up a buisness!

Calling me names does not change that fact , although it certainly shows your understanding of the current financial climate in Canada .... Lol

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer but here is what I know. This type of matter is governed by common law. Which refers to precedence's that have been set in other cases similar to Lucky 7. There are dozens of factors that play into the settlement. Of particular concern is the age of the person the prospects for a new job. In extreme cases early retirement package is the best option or both parties. I would sure be nice if a lawyer would chime in an elaborate.
please explain how the BC labour relations code is irrelevant???????????

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I see no humor in this topic or the economic situation we are in. Their are lots of hard working folks that are hurting.
Sorry if you took it that way! Fact is times have changed , a coympany may no longer survive the length of a persons working career . It is not the company's job to take every one that works for them into a perfect retirement !!
The workers are simply performing a task for compensation , no one held a gun to their head . They all agreed to the employment contract that they signed willingly , I would suggest....
Thete is a VERY real chance today, that your big company may , fold , restructure , outsource jobs etc etc....

Calling me names does not change that fact , although it certainly shows your understanding of the current financial climate in Canada .... Lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom