RCMP in parking lots

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I am on crown land, yes I would show them my registration. You don't need insurance, but if I had it, I would show that as well. No way am I letting them search through my sled for whatever they want. They have pretty big balls to even ask, unless of course you are giving them a reason to look.
I have nothing to hide. We were drinking water and eating a sandwich. There is no drugs or booze in my possession when riding.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, when you were on the hill, other than your word, how do you prove your not riding a stolen sled?????

There is a reason why they do check and why your required to have the plates and registrations. The guys are doing their job. You lose a sled to theft and suddenly you understand why they are asking, and thank them for looking while you produce your documents.

They have to look into the eyes of the people who are victims of crime. Its a small price to follow the law. You chose to speed, you get a ticket, you chose to not carry plates, you get a ticket. Dont like it, dont come to BC.
Screw that, its a tax grab plain and simple. If they truly trying to find stolen sleds, run the VIN. Simple. And giving out tickets for simply not carrying the plate and not getting a warning when the plate is back in the parking lot that they obviously were going back to is simply being a dick. I would've left them stuck unless they paid me exactly $200 to help them out.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m definitely buying you a beer the next time I see you, I’m older than I look.
my first sled was a 89 skidoo tundra.

Haha, mine was a 1972 300 Olympic, worked at a bottle depot for 2 years to buy it...300.00 bucks lol

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Here is the kicker they followed us back"
they were prob not sure how to get back to the trucks

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screw that, its a tax grab plain and simple. If they truly trying to find stolen sleds, run the VIN. Simple. And giving out tickets for simply not carrying the plate and not getting a warning when the plate is back in the parking lot that they obviously were going back to is simply being a dick. I would've left them stuck unless they paid me exactly $200 to help them out.

once again prove it. When your out sledding, saying its in my truck and I will show you when I get back would work just fine for any a-hole riding a stolen sled. Just disappear. A tax grab? When it costs millions of dollars to recover thousands of dollars in fines is it really a tax grab? Just pack your papers and plates, dont blame the cops because your being a dumb ass

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I am on crown land, yes I would show them my registration. You don't need insurance, but if I had it, I would show that as well. No way am I letting them search through my sled for whatever they want. They have pretty big balls to even ask, unless of course you are giving them a reason to look.

I believe you have to have what is required to be able to show documentation for your sled. In Alberta insurance is required to register a sled so for these guys they have to show both. I think it was dick move not to let them show it at the staging area and ticket them. I wouldn't have helped them get unstuck.
That said it is easy to carry your plate and documentation in your backpack.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, when you were on the hill, other than your word, how do you prove your not riding a stolen sled?????

There is a reason why they do check and why your required to have the plates and registrations. The guys are doing their job. You lose a sled to theft and suddenly you understand why they are asking, and thank them for looking while you produce your documents.

They have to look into the eyes of the people who are victims of crime. Its a small price to follow the law. You chose to speed, you get a ticket, you chose to not carry plates, you get a ticket. Dont like it, dont come to BC.

Man you say that a lot ! Maybe your dumba$$ premier and you should get together and you can restrict everyone that you and he don’t approve of . You both seem to have the same mindset .

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? It should be the cops job to ride down to the staging area with someone that was too lazy to carry their documentation on their sled? What is this, kindergarten?

ummm ya sure, why not? S&R has to go out routinely to bring lost AB sledders home so why can't the cops do it too.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once again prove it. When your out sledding, saying its in my truck and I will show you when I get back would work just fine for any a-hole riding a stolen sled. Just disappear. A tax grab? When it costs millions of dollars to recover thousands of dollars in fines is it really a tax grab? Just pack your papers and plates, dont blame the cops because your being a dumb ass
Yes a tax grab in BC. They only want you to register it so they get your PST/GST on every used sled you register. If they really gave a sh$t, stay in the parking lot and check vin numbers where they have cell coverage. Instead, we pay them to ride out in the middle of nowhere to check plates and give a few hundred in tickets.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does a cop ID you out there to give a ticket? I don't carry ID on me when sledding. Could show my registration and insurance but how would they know it's me. Unless now you are required to carry drivers license and get another ticket for that?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[/B]

Man you say that a lot ! Maybe your dumba$$ premier and you should get together and you can restrict everyone that you and he don’t approve of . You both seem to have the same mindset .

Come on, tone 'er down a bit.

Locally Magoo's Landing has been a big topic in the past, limiting access to ATV's, tubers, and those that park and use the gravel bar as a beach has been asked for by many boaters. Some were asking for an electric gate with key fobs solely for boating members, to restrict those whose use they don't approve of. As a jetboater which side of that issue were you on?

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does a cop ID you out there to give a ticket? I don't carry ID on me when sledding. Could show my registration and insurance but how would they know it's me. Unless now you are required to carry drivers license and get another ticket for that?
You should carry some form of ID at all times in case of emergency. If you had a wreck and someone finds you unconscious the have some info about you.
I knocked myself out riding my bike at a resort, patrol found me but I had no id. They had no idea who to contact until my wife called in looking for me.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should carry some form of ID at all times in case of emergency. If you had a wreck and someone finds you unconscious the have some info about you.
I knocked myself out riding my bike at a resort, patrol found me but I had no id. They had no idea who to contact until my wife called in looking for me.

Excellent point. I hadn't ever really thought about it. Thanks for sharing that.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A snowmobile is a motorized vehicle and you are required, by law, to have a driver's license anywhere other than on private property. The one time I was checked (quite a few years ago now) in a staging area, that is what I learned. Wallet was in my truck in a secret place and the police said, "it has to be on your person". I wasn't ticketed because I was polite and she said, "this is an educational day today and not a ticketing day."

I am in full favour of the police being in the staging areas and particularly at the end of the day when people come down the hill. I have seen a lot of instances of impairment and that is not in our best interest nor societies in general. This has been discussed to death over the years. Like was said above, they are doing their job. Get over it, get your chit together, and have a happy and unimpaired day.

Top Bottom