RCMP in parking lots

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every year someone posts about their truck getting broke into at some staging area and many are jumping on the clubs to have more security.
Then when there is a police presence someone has an issue with it.....
Like it or not they are trying to do their job.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a big deal, a question is asked, a ID card is shown. No different than getting asked for ID anywhere else, but I have nothing to his either, In my experience, “attitude makes the difference” when talking to the RCMP.

I appreciate the police and rcmp - when they are following the laws. I don’t appreciate the ones who don’t and try to jam up good folks. Carding is not legal and they know it. Nor is illegal searches unless you waive your rights and give your permission for them to search trailers and trucks in parking lots. They can ask, but you don’t have to provide or allow illegal search.
You do however need to display a plate and as soon as your off the trailer on crown land without one, that’s reason to detain you, require id and other info and give a ticket. I’m talking about before anything’s even unloaded in the parking lot and no crimes been committed

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many guys on here display their plates and how many that have not have had a ticket for stuffing it in a bag or backpack?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8.[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
This section of the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms has wide reaching powers. In fact check stops were challenged in court after the charter came into effect. The case was lost as it was deemed by the court that the safety of the public constituted reasonable grounds for the check stop. ronmexico you certainly have the right to ask why you are being searched. It wouldn't hurt if you mentioned your are concerned about your section 8 rights. I'm certain that most law enforcement officers know that it is a statute. Most officers start with "Do you know why I stopped you? when they pull you over. Ultimately the final decision lies with a judge unless a precedents has been set. Question is, is it worth the trouble.
[/FONT]

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many guys on here display their plates and how many that have not have had a ticket for stuffing it in a bag or backpack?

My plate is in my tunnel bag.
Knock on wood. They've been good with that so far.
I'm able to produce insurance, registration and the plate.

I think mannerism has a lot to do as well.
Be polite they are polite back.
Start giving lip and attitude, you'll probably feel they ard harassing you.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My plate is in my tunnel bag.
Knock on wood. They've been good with that so far.
I'm able to produce insurance, registration and the plate.

I think mannerism has a lot to do as well.
Be polite they are polite back.
Start giving lip and attitude, you'll probably feel they ard harassing you.

In the 10+ years that I have been going to the mountains riding, only once did I go through any kind of check stop either on the road or the hill. And they were checking for proper hook-up of trailer brakes and strapping. Nothing else. I too always travel with insured and registered sled plus my plate is under my seat. I have zip ties to hang it if they had a problem with where I store it, but I’d never give them grief for doing their job it is a lot with how you approach the situation for what the outcome will be. I once got stopped for window tint on the city and I didn’t have my up to date registration slip with me. I fumbled around for a while and genuinely felt bad I couldn’t provide it and couldn’t find the email copy I apologized and said I acknowledge that this is a fairly hefty fine. He said not to worry Because I didn’t look like someone who would intentionally drive a truck without insurance & just told me to go home and ‘take care of it as soon as you can. Gave me a $81 tint ticket I said thank you and away I went.

There was a CO that we chatted with a few years back and we asked him about this very question (visible plates) since BC has their stickers but AB and east don’t. He said you could make your own sticker to put on your hood, tunnel or windshield. But also said he wouldn’t be a guy to hassle someone if they didn’t display, better if you do though of course. I haven’t tried doing a sticker yet but The wife now has a cricut machine.... so I should try..

Last edited:

Chrisp1

Reaction score
I appreciate the police and rcmp - when they are following the laws. I don’t appreciate the ones who don’t and try to jam up good folks. Carding is not legal and they know it. Nor is illegal searches unless you waive your rights and give your permission for them to search trailers and trucks in parking lots. They can ask, but you don’t have to provide or allow illegal search.
You do however need to display a plate and as soon as your off the trailer on crown land without one, that’s reason to detain you, require id and other info and give a ticket. I’m talking about before anything’s even unloaded in the parking lot and no crimes been committed
I get that carding is against our rights, but if you have nothing to hide, then what's the big deal. It's such a brief interruption, unless you make it out to be more. If you show your ID at a random check, you aren't throwing your rights away, you're just complying with a simple request, and if all is good you are on your way.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have only been checked for plate/registration and insurance once by the dildo at Frisby. Fish cop and RCMP stopped us while we were eating lunch and asked if we had alcohol and insurance and registration. We let them look for booze and showed them our documents and plate in our backpack. They were fine with it and never even commented on the plate being in the backpack. We ended up visiting with them for a half an hour and found out the cop used to play for the Stampeders in the CFL before becoming a cop. Nice guys and pretty cool how the red and blue lights were mounted in the hood vents on the Pro's they were riding.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have only been checked for plate/registration and insurance once by the dildo at Frisby. Fish cop and RCMP stopped us while we were eating lunch and asked if we had alcohol and insurance and registration. We let them look for booze and showed them our documents and plate in our backpack. They were fine with it and never even commented on the plate being in the backpack. We ended up visiting with them for a half an hour and found out the cop used to play for the Stampeders in the CFL before becoming a cop. Nice guys and pretty cool how the red and blue lights were mounted in the hood vents on the Pro's they were riding.
As I am on crown land, yes I would show them my registration. You don't need insurance, but if I had it, I would show that as well. No way am I letting them search through my sled for whatever they want. They have pretty big balls to even ask, unless of course you are giving them a reason to look.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year we were the only group into keystone. We were back at the cabin having lunch outside when three other machines arrived. They were the RC's. They asked for license registration for the machines. Five out of our seven person group had them with them. The other two. The paper work and plates were in the trailer. We explained to them that Alberta does not have a nice decal for a license plate like BC and there is no license plate holder on snowmobiles. We can produce it and send them photo evidence of the documentation when we get back down. Not good enough for them. Two of us got $100. Fines. We identified ourselves properly, they called in the Vin numbers on the sleds and we're polite with them. Here is the kicker they followed us back. They got into a bad spot that we helped them out of. Then when they went to load, the one fellow was loading into the back of his government truck and got crossed up somehow and rolled his sled over the side of his truck. The sled was stuck hanging upside down on the side of his truck. we assisted him in getting it off the side of the truck, now damaged from this operation. he did not even offer to tear up the tickets. I still do not carry the paper work or plate with me. I have more important stuff in my pack and tunnel bag. I do have photos on my phone of my DL, plate, registration and insurance.

Last edited:

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year we were the only group into keystone. We were back at the cabin having lunch outside when three other machines arrived. They were the RC's. They asked for license registration for the machines. Five out of our seven person group had them with them. The other two. The paper work and plates were in the trailer. We explained to them that Alberta does not have a nice decal for a license plate like BC and there is no license plate holder on snowmobiles. We can produce it and send them photo evidence of the documentation when we get back down. Not good enough for them. Two of us got $100. Fines. We identified ourselves properly, they called in the Vin numbers on the sleds and we're polite with them. Here is the kicker they followed us back. They got into a bad spot that we helped them out of. Then when they went to load, the one fellow was loading into the back of his government truck and got crossed up somehow and rolled his sled over the side of his truck. The sled was stuck hanging upside down on the side of his truck. we assisted him in getting it off the side of the truck, now damaged from this operation. he did not even offer to tear up the tickets. I still do not carry the paper work or plate with me. I have more important stuff in my pack and tunnel bag. I do have photos on my phone of my DL, plate, registration and insurance.
Were they at least appreciative of the help?

Kudos to you guys for helping them out twice. They were obviously not competently trained on their equipment

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So, when you were on the hill, other than your word, how do you prove your not riding a stolen sled?????

There is a reason why they do check and why your required to have the plates and registrations. The guys are doing their job. You lose a sled to theft and suddenly you understand why they are asking, and thank them for looking while you produce your documents.

They have to look into the eyes of the people who are victims of crime. Its a small price to follow the law. You chose to speed, you get a ticket, you chose to not carry plates, you get a ticket. Dont like it, dont come to BC.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are a better man than me, I would have left them stuck.

Top Bottom