Polaris Pro aint so light!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point wasn't about stiring the pot or I would have posted this in the Polaris section. I'm sure that there are many guys, like me that realize that the Pro is a good machine and nice and light, we just now realize that its not so light that the doo wouldn't be able to compete. I was on the fence for a while about if I was buying a poo or doo this year but the more I read and see, I have been swayed strongly toward doo. Even one of my riding buddies that rides a poo and said he hates doo after owning a 07, said he would like to try the XM now. His 2012 Pro has been in the shop more than on the hill this year. The last time he asked the dealer why it was taking so long to fix his poo and the answer the dealer gave him was, "We are to busy rebuilding motors to look at your sled". His 2010 M-8 has also been in for 2 primary and 3 secondary clutches too. Think he is getting fed up? He sees me riding my doo every weekend without any major problems.

Why would you totally destroy any credibility your post may have had by writing something that anyone with no agenda knows is absolutley not true. Unless you guys got different air around calgary, the same issues should exist. There are 11 and 12 Pro's running all over the place this year, yeah a few issues, but none more than usual for all brands. The Pro 800 has been a great improvement over the POS Draggin motors. Got about 3 good sized dealers around here, they have all commented on the LACK of motor issues the Pro's are having. I love the Etec motor, but I know of more etecs waiting at the dealer fore piston changes than Pro's waiting for motor jobs. And for whatever reason we have a lot of Pro's in our area, so spare us the "a guy told me every Pro motor blows up eery 2 or 5 or 8oo miles, cause its BS and the evidence is clear. Personally I can't wait to try the XM, sounds like it'll be a big improvement over the XP.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put to much stock in Carl's Cycle results as they are one of the largest Polaris dealers in the U.S. Also Polaris has been caught twice by magazines in the past doing evaluations and weight comparisons. Once for a ported engine on a dyno shootout and the other time for no antifreeze in the sled for a weight comparison test. Funny thing was the sled seized after it was weighed on the way back to the trailer. This stuff may go on with other manufacturers as well but none of them have been caught yet. Does Chad Knaus work for Polaris engineering? Lol.

Yeah, its always best to take with a grain of salt the opinion of someone who actually has a dog in the fight. That'd be dumb. LOL.

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
grasping-at-straws1.jpg

Grasping-at-Straws.jpg

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end it still falls back on which dealer treats you better, wheres the better deal etc. These sleds completely stock are to close to compare in all aspects. That little bit of wieght difference can be made up in the size of the rider, how much stuff you pack in your sled/ backpack. I personally carry a gerry can for extra fuel which in last 3 years i have never had to use. I never drop it of cause honestly i dont notice the difference with it on or off! So ride what you prefer and if that wieght is really something to argue about then clearly some people need to learn how to ride cause 80% of where the sled can go and what it can do comes down to the rider! Remember my own opinion lol

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would you totally destroy any credibility your post may have had by writing something that anyone with no agenda knows is absolutley not true. Unless you guys got different air around calgary, the same issues should exist. There are 11 and 12 Pro's running all over the place this year, yeah a few issues, but none more than usual for all brands. The Pro 800 has been a great improvement over the POS Draggin motors. Got about 3 good sized dealers around here, they have all commented on the LACK of motor issues the Pro's are having. I love the Etec motor, but I know of more etecs waiting at the dealer fore piston changes than Pro's waiting for motor jobs. And for whatever reason we have a lot of Pro's in our area, so spare us the "a guy told me every Pro motor blows up eery 2 or 5 or 8oo miles, cause its BS and the evidence is clear. Personally I can't wait to try the XM, sounds like it'll be a big improvement over the XP.

The problem may not be that they are fixing blown motors on warranty, they may have been working on mod motors? I don't know. The point here is that my friend had to wait a long time for his sled and then it ended up having to go to another dealer anyway. It was just news he did not want to hear from the guy on the phone.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you mean I shouldn't believe carl's cycle for the same reason I shouldn't believe you?

HaHa. I would totally agree with that. Point is............I never said I weighed them in my shop. Just sayn there buddy.;);)

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are the people getting really bent out of shape are the Polaris owners? Shouldn't you be happy you are still riding the lighter sled? :confused:

It was simple information that was posted, skewed the results maybe be in favour of the Polaris as I am not aware of 30 lbs additional bracing in an Assault to match the Freeride, but if you really want to settle it, take a current model year sled and weigh them rider ready. None of this "wet" with no fuel BS. Who rides a sled with no fuel? We all fill our tanks at the beggining of the day so a true wet weight should be weighed.

At the end of the day %90 of the sleds performance is the rider's ability. There must be some seriously awesome riders on here for the amount of bitching that goes on.

Does a painted tunnel on a sled reduce snow build up? Yes, as does the reduction of idlers, or better boards, ported tracks, and so on. With the introduction of the XM and the changes made to the Pro, 2013 will bring a whole new year of who's sled is better threads. Just wait for the first guy to blow up a belt drive on a Pro, or the first guy to break a t-motion, blah blah blah.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why are the people getting really bent out of shape are the Polaris owners? Shouldn't you be happy you are still riding the lighter sled? :confused:

It was simple information that was posted, skewed the results maybe be in favour of the Polaris as I am not aware of 30 lbs additional bracing in an Assault to match the Freeride, but if you really want to settle it, take a current model year sled and weigh them rider ready. None of this "wet" with no fuel BS. Who rides a sled with no fuel? We all fill our tanks at the beggining of the day so a true wet weight should be weighed.

At the end of the day %90 of the sleds performance is the rider's ability. There must be some seriously awesome riders on here for the amount of bitching that goes on.

Does a painted tunnel on a sled reduce snow build up? Yes, as does the reduction of idlers, or better boards, ported tracks, and so on. With the introduction of the XM and the changes made to the Pro, 2013 will bring a whole new year of who's sled is better threads. Just wait for the first guy to blow up a belt drive on a Pro, or the first guy to break a t-motion, blah blah blah.
I'm not getting bent up...just having a little fun:D I could really care less about weight as I could stand to lose some myself:) Like I've always said...the proof is on the snow, and even then there are a lot of variables...Rider weight, ability, mods, track length etc...so who really cares:D

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not getting bent up...just having a little fun:D I could really care less about weight as I could stand to lose some myself:) Like I've always said...the proof is on the snow, and even then there are a lot of variables...Rider weight, ability, mods, track length etc...so who really cares:D

my track is longer and wider than yours :D

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem may not be that they are fixing blown motors on warranty, they may have been working on mod motors? I don't know. The point here is that my friend had to wait a long time for his sled and then it ended up having to go to another dealer anyway. It was just news he did not want to hear from the guy on the phone.

Sorry, but i think the point here was your inference. Heres a reality for me this year speaking of news you don't wanna here. My XP at a shop here that works mainly on Doo's was there this year for about 3 weeks, I paid the $4100 bill and it was # 7 in a line of Doo 800's waiting for motor work in front of me. He has a very very busy shop, and does mostly Doo's. Now would I buy a Doo 800, you bet I would, other than 07 Doo and 08-09 Dragon, they all seem to be about the same, crappy. But sure are a hell of a lot of fun. Not raggin on ya it just bugs me when this whole all Doo or all Poo motors are blowing up thing gets exagerated so badly.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's good...cuz you're gonna need all the help you can get:D That combined with your skinny azz...should put us just about in the same ball park:D Is this gonna be a technical tree bashin' extravaganza???

hahahahahaha you like talking about my skinny azz dont you kev lol! Yes yes it will be an all out tree bashing extravaganza and I love logging!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
around them? you must ride a polaris lol the doo loves blowing right through mother natures finest little specimens. my wrists and track on the other hand seem to say different! I should try the going around trick I might have less stitches and less time scrubbing tree sap of the sled and would be able to enjoy my evening after a day of riding lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but i think the point here was your inference. Heres a reality for me this year speaking of news you don't wanna here. My XP at a shop here that works mainly on Doo's was there this year for about 3 weeks, I paid the $4100 bill and it was # 7 in a line of Doo 800's waiting for motor work in front of me. He has a very very busy shop, and does mostly Doo's. Now would I buy a Doo 800, you bet I would, other than 07 Doo and 08-09 Dragon, they all seem to be about the same, crappy. But sure are a hell of a lot of fun. Not raggin on ya it just bugs me when this whole all Doo or all Poo motors are blowing up thing gets exagerated so badly.

Lenny R!!! You have an XP???? Heaven help us! Lmao!:party::party::party::faint::tearhairout::common001::D:beer::beer:

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think it should be wet weight minus gas other wise theyll be makin smaller gas tanks to be lighter

No doubt, and Riding capabilities far out way the differences in any comparable sleds out of the crate. If we are talking weight it needs to be a scale beside the cabin with rider, gear, snack and beverages. its color, handling, reliability and dealer support should be the decision maker. I ride yamaha, weight is last on my mind when making the purchase. But for the record Doo is where its at all around:eek:

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, I did get alot of people worked up and that's good as it shows there is still alot of passion for this sport and I guess much brand loyalty. It is interesting though how defensive some get even when I did said that I was on the fence about what sled to buy and admited that a sled fully wet at 538 lbs was pretty good. (Pro) All brands have their lemons but they are much more bitched about when you have a crappy dealer or when you don't know how to turn your own wrench.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, I did get alot of people worked up and that's good as it shows there is still alot of passion for this sport and I guess much brand loyalty. It is interesting though how defensive some get even when I did said that I was on the fence about what sled to buy and admited that a sled fully wet at 538 lbs was pretty good. (Pro) All brands have their lemons but they are much more bitched about when you have a crappy dealer or when you don't know how to turn your own wrench.

maybe we should buy a "community PRO" for our group just so we know lol..... put this hype to the test!!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got 4 days in revy coming up,, 2 buds from ontario coming out and we got 2 Pro's rented as one of them is a poo dealer back east....

I will report back my findings....

Top Bottom