Polaris Pro aint so light!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to this article wet weight of the 2012 assault is 552 lbs (polaris website says 446lbs dry) and since the Pro rmk 155 is 431lbs dry on polaris website, the difference of 15lbs makes the Pro rmk 155 wet with belt at 537lbs. Your math says the 2012 skidoo 154x wet weight with belt is 585lbs. 585-537=48lbs lighter

Looks like Polaris is as light as they say?

Okay, American Snowmobiler tested some 2012's and posted some wet weights with spare belt. The Pro 155 with E-Start weighed in at 577 lbs. I know the battery is 16 lbs so I figure 25lbs is resonable if the E-start was removed, that would be 552 lbs. Now the 13's are supposed to be 14 lbs lighter, that would be 538lbs. Thats pretty good.

Now since the 154 Summit kicked the butt of the Pro last year, they thought they would make it tougher for Doo so they tested the 146 Free Ride against the Poo for 2012.

The Free Ride is about 30 lbs heavier than the Summit X for 2012 and the 154 was 4 lbs heavier still. The Free Ride tested came in at 581 lbs so the 154 would be 585lbs wet with spare belt.

For 13 the Free Ride is 25 lbs heavier than the Summit X so the Summit X should be 560 lbs wet. Still 22 lbs heavier than the Pro but far off from the 50 lbs advertised.

Now the can is about 18 lbs on the Summit and it is easy to get a can around 4 lbs but if your like me you might want a quieter one at 6-7 lbs. This will shave off at least another 11 lbs and then the wet weight ready to ride is only 11 lbs difference.

Now with all the ice that sticks to the non-painted Poo tunnels and with the extra gas they need to carry, who's lighter now!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder if skiers sit around saying my ski's are better and lighter or my toque is way more comfy then yours?
Probably. If there is more than one guy with more than one brand of anything, there is going to be a pissing contest. I'm sure Grug and Blorg argued which made the better spear, Willow or ash, Back in prehistoric times.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i totally agree. but weve been taking it pretty hard from team poo on this site about there 50lbs lighter sled.

Fair enough, but the comparison is an apples to oranges comparison...it's a bunch of effin' BS. What really needs to happen is we need to get some peeps together that have "COMPARABLE" models in different brands and weigh them...then drink some beer...then beat the hell out of each other. After this, hopefully we can put it all behind us...go SHRED some pow and see what really works and what doesn't:D Now that sounds like FUN to me!!! :D

jasoncaville

Reaction score
This article might be more appropriate for mountain riders. According to Carls Cycle, the 2013 Pro Rmk is 63lbs lighter than the 2012 Summit ready to ride without gas. The Summit has a smaller gas tank.

Weighed the 2013 PRO today- REAL weight 16lbs lighter - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

"We had a 2013 PRO 155" in the store this week and put it on the scales. It came in 16lbs lighter than the 2012. This sled is a demo and has 700 miles in it.

We weigh sleds "wet" which means full of antifreeze, oil reservoir topped off and chaincase fluid(which there is non on the 2013 PRO). The gas tank is completely drained.

The weights below were all measured on our scales(Longacre Racing Products computer scales) and these are "wet" weights. All sleds were new and assembled out of the crate, except for the 2013 PRO which has 700 miles on it.

2013 PRO 155" 438 lbs
2012 PRO 155" 454 lbs
2012 M8 153" 496 lbs
2012 ETEC 800 154" 501 lbs"

Last edited:

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^Finally some real world controlled environment #'s that are accurate! Thanks!
Obviously power to weight also is a factor but so is putting a 150lb guy on an assault 800 and a 200lb guy on an Etec Summit 800 or vice versa so really how much does it really matter? With the exception of that 4 stroke tank of a sled that Cat has!! That thing weighs more than my Can Am 650 Outty!!

Last edited:

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in reality, the OP and maxwell were right at the beginning. The Pro isn't 48 lbs lighter. LOL. Course if you take off one ski, the pipe, and put a straight thru can on ........... no sorry , you'd still be heavier. Heehee. And then guys wonder why the Poo gets unstuck and gets on top of the snow better with less HP. Duh !

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point wasn't about stiring the pot or I would have posted this in the Polaris section. I'm sure that there are many guys, like me that realize that the Pro is a good machine and nice and light, we just now realize that its not so light that the doo wouldn't be able to compete. I was on the fence for a while about if I was buying a poo or doo this year but the more I read and see, I have been swayed strongly toward doo. Even one of my riding buddies that rides a poo and said he hates doo after owning a 07, said he would like to try the XM now. His 2012 Pro has been in the shop more than on the hill this year. The last time he asked the dealer why it was taking so long to fix his poo and the answer the dealer gave him was, "We are to busy rebuilding motors to look at your sled". His 2010 M-8 has also been in for 2 primary and 3 secondary clutches too. Think he is getting fed up? He sees me riding my doo every weekend without any major problems.

Last edited:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My point wasn't about stiring the pot or I would have posted this in the Polaris section. I'm sure that there are many guys, like me that realize that the Pro is a good machine and nice and light, we just now realize that its not so light that the doo wouldn't be able to compete. I was on the fence for a while about if I was buying a poo or doo this year but the more I read and see, I have been swayed strongly toward doo. Even one of my riding buddies that rides a poo and said he hates doo after owning a 07, said he would like to try the XM now. His 2012 Pro has been in the shop more than on the hill this year. The last time he asked the dealer why it was taking so long to fix his poo and the answer the dealer gave him was, "We are to busy rebuilding motors to look at your sled". His 2010 M-8 has also been in for 2 primary and 3 secondary clutches too. Think he is getting fed up? He sees me riding my doo every weekend without any major problems.

Once everyone figures out that we ride 2 strokes that fly around at 8000+RPM...you'll figure out that there is gonna be failures. They like to have somewhat of a break in...they like to be warmed up...they like to be maintained...they like to have quality fuel run through them etc.. There ARE going to be failures with every brand, and a lot of them will probably be due to the operator. My '12 Assault has 900 HARD miles on it without a glitch... Switching brands because you've had some issues doesn' mean that the NEW one is gonna be any better. In almost 20 years of riding I have only had 1 sled go down (out of 3 different brands) and it was because a coolant line popped off on a hard landing. It wasn't the sleds fault that I didn't tighten my coolant line. Just my .02:) Now let's FIGHT:D

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha...It's fun to see you guys grasping at straws:D The proof is on the snow not necessarily on the scale. Who cares which is lighter and which has more power...as long as you're having fun...that's all that matters:D However, I'll put my Assault against a 154 DOO anytime!! LOL :D

when you down in my neck of the woods next I'll take you up on that offer Kevin! lol just buggin ya friendly comp i think so!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you down in my neck of the woods next I'll take you up on that offer Kevin! lol just buggin ya friendly comp i think so!

Woo Hoo....someone wants to FIGHT:D Jared...it OK that I still have 60 lbs on your skinny azz after the sled weights are taken into consideration...I'll still Go ya a couple rounds:D

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This article might be more appropriate for mountain riders. According to Carls Cycle, the 2013 Pro Rmk is 63lbs lighter than the 2012 Summit ready to ride without gas. The Summit has a smaller gas tank.

Weighed the 2013 PRO today- REAL weight 16lbs lighter - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum

"We had a 2013 PRO 155" in the store this week and put it on the scales. It came in 16lbs lighter than the 2012. This sled is a demo and has 700 miles in it.

We weigh sleds "wet" which means full of antifreeze, oil reservoir topped off and chaincase fluid(which there is non on the 2013 PRO). The gas tank is completely drained.

The weights below were all measured on our scales(Longacre Racing Products computer scales) and these are "wet" weights. All sleds were new and assembled out of the crate, except for the 2013 PRO which has 700 miles on it.

2013 PRO 155" 438 lbs
2012 PRO 155" 454 lbs
2012 M8 153" 496 lbs
2012 ETEC 800 154" 501 lbs"

I wouldn't put to much stock in Carl's Cycle results as they are one of the largest Polaris dealers in the U.S. Also Polaris has been caught twice by magazines in the past doing evaluations and weight comparisons. Once for a ported engine on a dyno shootout and the other time for no antifreeze in the sled for a weight comparison test. Funny thing was the sled seized after it was weighed on the way back to the trailer. This stuff may go on with other manufacturers as well but none of them have been caught yet. Does Chad Knaus work for Polaris engineering? Lol.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Woo Hoo....someone wants to FIGHT:D Jared...it OK that I still have 60 lbs on your skinny azz after the sled weights are taken into consideration...I'll still Go ya a couple rounds:D

i'm feeling irish this weekend! yes it is ok that you still have 60 lbs on my scroner azz haha I'll wear some extra gear maybe pack some extra fuel for ya so it's more of a comparison. Hope you eat your flickable flakes your gonna need them for your battle with me lol!:D

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
polaris sucks and skidoo rules.... oh and my dad can beat up your dad.

Just ride em cause at the end of the day you should worry more about how good you make your sled look, not the other way around.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so kev I take it by the love on my post that this friendly challenge is game on then?! i'd bet a suspension system on it but i've seen the way you drive your trucks i can only imagine your sleds so maybe something cheaper like a beer lol! that i can afford. hahaha

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
Soooo... my sled is 500 lbs fully fuelled, give or take 10 lbs. It doesn't build up snow in the tunnel because there are no heat exchangers in the tunnel. That and it will positively blow away the 2012 Pro anyway (and yes, I am serious about that...) So I will continue to ride the old ZX, more 'flickable', more track, and way more fun... :smiliestirthepot:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put to much stock in Carl's Cycle results as they are one of the largest Polaris dealers in the U.S. Also Polaris has been caught twice by magazines in the past doing evaluations and weight comparisons. Once for a ported engine on a dyno shootout and the other time for no antifreeze in the sled for a weight comparison test. Funny thing was the sled seized after it was weighed on the way back to the trailer. This stuff may go on with other manufacturers as well but none of them have been caught yet. Does Chad Knaus work for Polaris engineering? Lol.

Do you mean I shouldn't believe carl's cycle for the same reason I shouldn't believe you?

Top Bottom