looking for amsteel winch line

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:theCabin:looking for some 1/4 inch amsteel winch line for a 4500 wide spool winch. would like 50 to 60 ft and possibly a 150-200 ft of extra line for the longer pulls i seem to have.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:theCabin:looking for some 1/4 inch amsteel winch line for a 4500 wide spool winch. would like 50 to 60 ft and possibly a 150-200 ft of extra line for the longer pulls i seem to have.
I scooped some from an outfit called Custom Splice, came with a hook, rubber stopper, and a hawse fairlead. they were the cheapest I found for amsteel blue and had a wide choice of colors

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CND Rope and Industrial Supply out of Edmonton. (780) 440-2102 Their great over there and I'm getting 3/16 50' Amsteel Blue ropes $60 with swivel hook. That's the cheapest I've come across. If you go there in person, he'll even show you how to splice it and still retain over 80% of it's strength.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CND Rope and Industrial Supply out of Edmonton. (780) 440-2102 Their great over there and I'm getting 3/16 50' Amsteel Blue ropes $60 with swivel hook. That's the cheapest I've come across. If you go there in person, he'll even show you how to splice it and still retain over 80% of it's strength.

just called them, said the complete line 60 ft 1/4 line with spliced thimble, hook and sleeve was $90, not bad price. works out to be almost the same with shipping on e-bay and as you say the guy will do it right in front of you. says takes 5 minutes. thanks for the info. may be the same place i got the 300 ft spool a couple years ago.

actually a fairly good price 1/4 inch line at $1.13 a foot. may get an extra 100 ft or so for an extension.

Last edited by a moderator:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Super slings in Nisku sells it to. And if you go online mottoalience sells it in different colours.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just picked upsoe at cnd rope n sling, 1/4 inch amsteel for $1.13 a ft. put the thimble on also. good people. there price was comparable to e-bay and usa bike sled shops especialy when you add in shipping and cross border charges. and you can wait a couple weeks to get your winch line. besides it is better to purchace local when you can. took them less than 5 minutes and on my way.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do different colors mean different strength or just personal choice.:ebay 50' yellow is 55 blue is 87? selling way more blue so...supply and demand i guess?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do different colors mean different strength or just personal choice.:ebay 50' yellow is 55 blue is 87? selling way more blue so...supply and demand i guess?

colour is the same strength, the difference is in the diameter. biggest problem i saw on ebay was the shipping charges and a border crossing fee. worked out that the cdn price at cnd was equivalent, and you support a cdn company. plus if they will give a 1 yr warranty on rope assembly.

always better to buy canadian in my opinion.

tvdave

Reaction score
There is 2 different grades of amsteel rope. There is "Amsteel" rope & "Amsteel Blue" rope. Amsteel Blue is much stronger than regular Amsteel apparently. You can get "Amsteel Blue" in several colors as well as "Amsteel". This is what was told to me anyways.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is 2 different grades of amsteel rope. There is "Amsteel" rope & "Amsteel Blue" rope. Amsteel Blue is much stronger than regular Amsteel apparently. You can get "Amsteel Blue" in several colors as well as "Amsteel". This is what was told to me anyways.

true, the colour should have no difference,

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larry let's be honest here....
What in the he'll would us Popo riders know about winching.....
The last time I used a winch it was to pull out some old half naked codger
Out of a bottomless skeg hole......
Now that's the guy to talk to about winches ....

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i think im just going to cnd one stop shop and something goes wrong i got somewhere to go. I always shop locally when i can but sometimes its not fiesable...but sounds like easy decision this time. thanks for input fellas

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Larry let's be honest here....
What in the he'll would us Popo riders know about winching.....
The last time I used a winch it was to pull out some old half naked codger
Out of a bottomless skeg hole......
Now that's the guy to talk to about winches ....

if we are talking about the same old guy, he sure knows all about the hook end of a winch. thinking there is one under his pillow. sweet dreams a coming. haha. and i think he probably is looking for a much stronger pulling rope or cable just to lesson yhe strain from pulling out all those hippo type kawasaaaki's. haha. and now that he is rocking a bad azz ranger, a winch hook will probably be a thing of the past. (not likely) with the places he goes.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya i think im just going to cnd one stop shop and something goes wrong i got somewhere to go. I always shop locally when i can but sometimes its not fiesable...but sounds like easy decision this time. thanks for input fellas

ya i thinkyou will be happy. ask them any questions you can think of, quite knowledgeable. what size rope you thinking on getting?

don't forget to get a 5 ft protection sleeve, definitely will save on rope abrasion

Last edited:

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/16 50' amsteel blue you guys recommend rubber stopper?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes, reduces line tension. some use hockey pucks, etc.

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought 3/16 winch line with hook..and 25' extension with End for 140..but they don't do blue anymore trying to stand out cause everyone else is using blue...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought 3/16 winch line with hook..and 25' extension with End for 140..but they don't do blue anymore trying to stand out cause everyone else is using blue...

ya i got a red line, just the thimble though. have a hook. the hook they have had a swivel, looked skoocum

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hard to believe that it has 4800 hours of breaking strength...seems so delicate...

Top Bottom