Kijiji pricing on used stuff?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or are people posting bike boats sleds etc totally out there on what used stuff is worth? I started looking for a Victory or a HD about a month ago and yes there are lots posted on kijiji but guys are asking close to new and get right pissy when I make an offer I think fair not low ball by any means. For example one bike I like I can buy new for 17600 all in lowest I can grind one out for used is a year old 8000km for 16000, I think it's worth 15 max??

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem seems to be what the seller and you think it's worth, you may have to keep lookin or up your offer. It is what it is

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think some people place too much value on aftermarket add-ons and buyers are simply looking at the value of the bike itself.
I bought my bike for $19k and add-ons the first day were $2000. The accessories account for something but I do think some people are trying to get full value. For others, if they added the accessories on to the financing then that could be what they need to pay it off.

A few people are just out to lunch.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think some people place too much value on aftermarket add-ons and buyers are simply looking at the value of the bike itself.
I bought my bike for $19k and add-ons the first day were $2000. The accessories account for something but I do think some people are trying to get full value. For others, if they added the accessories on to the financing then that could be what they need to pay it off.

A few people are just out to lunch.

Very true,

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree totally.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at boats on kijiji and the prices are nuts on some. A 10 year old supra is still 48,000....damThey hold there value!!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be prepared to get $0.25 on the dollar for aftermarket add ons...unless it's a turbo or something....

Some people think their chit is worth full price, until they get ZERO interest, then they just keep it or drop their price.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your homework and look up blue book value and present that to the seller. When I bought my 2004 Polaris RMK last year the guy wanted $7000.00 for it. I laughed at him. He said its got 234KM's on it , it's worth $7000.00. I looked up the book value and it was worth high 4,s super clean. I told him and showed him and said I'll pay $5000,00 that's it take it or leave it (I was willing to pay a bit more cause it was soooo clean, no km s!). I said If you don't take it I'll be back next year and offer you $450.00 less as that is how much it's going to drop being another year old. He wasn't impressed but took my offer.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I always figured the canadian lue book values were a joke but probably a better negotiating tool than simply stating the price too high.

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I always figured the canadian lue book values were a joke but probably a better negotiating tool than simply stating the price too high.

I look at everything. I check the book values, I look in Auto Traders and Kijiji. With that you can get a pretty good idea what things are going for.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I look at everything. I check the book values, I look in Auto Traders and Kijiji. With that you can get a pretty good idea what things are going for.

Exactly . I do the same and go off of trade in value as that is wholesale.
Add auction commission to that price and that's what used is worth .

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I guess what i see just because its listed for xx doesn't mean it sells for close to that asking price. Kijiji is not a good way to tell selling price because you never know if it sells or the real selling price, but does tell you how many are available. i would be curious to know what percentage of stuff over say 10-15k+ actually sells versus being listed. Back in the autotrader days you had to do your homework as a seller on the asking price as it cost 75 bucks for two weeks.

Last edited:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is always a negotiation. Like others have said do your homework and be prepared to state your position as to why you feel the price is too high. Just simply saying your price is out to lunch doesn't really cut it. Also being a cheap seats and emailing one liners offering 20% lower isn't the best negotiation tactic either.

I sold my Vrod Muscle on Kijiji last spring and had one guy emailing telling me my price was way too high and I should drop it $2000. Two days later I sold the bike for $500 more than my asking price because it was the perfect time of year to be selling and it was the only muscle for sale that I could find in Alberta at the time.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your homework and look up blue book value and present that to the seller. When I bought my 2004 Polaris RMK last year the guy wanted $7000.00 for it. I laughed at him. He said its got 234KM's on it , it's worth $7000.00. I looked up the book value and it was worth high 4,s super clean. I told him and showed him and said I'll pay $5000,00 that's it take it or leave it (I was willing to pay a bit more cause it was soooo clean, no km s!). I said If you don't take it I'll be back next year and offer you $450.00 less as that is how much it's going to drop being another year old. He wasn't impressed but took my offer.
No offense but I think 5g is kinda high for a 2004RMK IMO. and 7000 is Out to F#cking Lunch!! lol

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
K i'm going to play devils advocate here..... i'm that guy that asks high for everything and guess what I sell it don't always get what I ask.. but it always sells people buy out of connivence or desperation you can always go down in price but you can never go up I have sold junk pure junk that I had kicking around I throw it on kijiji before I get off my @ss and haul it to the dump you would shake you head at what I have sold one day I'll write a book

Ok just a teaser elderly neighbour paid someone to cut down 2 spruce trees they cut them down hauled away so there was a patch of that white rock it was pretty nasty full of 20 years of pine cones and needles he wanted it gone so he begged me to removed and haul it away to the dump for $250 I agreed but said give me a few days ....put a word add on kijiji stating old white dolomite rock about 2 yards you shovel $250 few days later guy showed up with his son 2 shovels and a utility trailer his reaction was "wow its pretty old" I told him it was only about 2-3 million years old gimme $200 he went for it loaded it up and was gone made to old guy what was going on he laughed and said easiest $450 you made

Top Bottom