Just completed PAL... need advice.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
And useless for target shooting, buy a rifle for your first gun.
I don't remember saying I was going target shooting.

My first requirement with the PAL is home and personal protection. Bears mostly. I want something that's gonna make a big hole at short range.

And, it looks effin badass at the same time.

I'm not a hunter, so will likely leave a rifle at the very bottom of my list.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My first requirement with the PAL is home and personal protection. Bears mostly. I want something that's gonna make a big hole at short range.

This statement sounds very American. "I don't hunt but I need a gun for personal protection and bears?" Where likely are you going to encounter bears if you're not out in the bush or hunting? Sorry to say but don't think you are a good candidate for a firearm. Clearly didn't take anything from the course. You may want to re-word your comment if this is the case. Maybe you'll look more Badass with some white Oakley's and a popeyes cut off shirt.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
This statement sounds very American. "I don't hunt but I need a gun for personal protection and bears?" Where likely are you going to encounter bears if you're not out in the bush or hunting? Sorry to say but don't think you are a good candidate for a firearm. Clearly didn't take anything from the course. You may want to re-word your comment if this is the case. Maybe you'll look more Badass with some white Oakley's and a popeyes cut off shirt.
Are you freaking serious right now? Are you saying that the only people that spend time in the bush are hunters? Go preach to someone else a-hole!!!!

I don't hunt!! But, I hike, fish, quad, bike, and camp. All in the deep back woods.

I think that maybe you're just jealous. Go eff yourself!!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It does look nice and a good choice for your backwoods camping / adventures and personal security.

Stagger your loads double odd buckshot then a slug then double odd then a slug.

I always have the same in the camper or quads when we are out. Never had to use it but at least it's there if I do need it.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Reaction score

Luckily you don't get to decide for anyone else..... I got my PAL... both non-restricted and restricted. I've never hunted a day in my life, and have no intentions of it. Just to piss you off however I am off to buy a kick ass tricked out badass looking rifle, you know, for home protection and bears..... then a hand gun that I'll never be able to shoot because I also don't like ranges... just because I can. I'll be sure to take pictures and share them with you, boss. :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you freaking serious right now? Are you saying that the only people that spend time in the bush are hunters? Go preach to someone else a-hole!!!!

I don't hunt!! But, I hike, fish, quad, bike, and camp. All in the deep back woods.

Now that wasn't nice.

Here is some advice on your idea of personal protection against bears and them 2 legged creatures.
One, you better know and understand what your doing as both can drastically change your life for ever.
Your shot gun is only effective to 50yrds, most people i have seen with shot guns can not hit anything effectively. Most all cannot shot more then 5-6 rounds without their arm and shoulder not able to hold the shot gun anymore. Unless you practice, practice, practice. Believe me the novelty wears off quickly when it gets painful to shoot.
Protection against bears in the bush is mostly PARANOIA. Most bears you will encounter are small and will bugger off. Chance encounter with a LARGE grizz or Kodiak are rare and generally are found way off the beaten track in very remote areas, not some where you would take an ATV.
But if you were to encounter such an animal, consider this. Your one and first shot will most likely be your last, piss off a territorial grizzly or wound him and he will kill you, guaranteed. In such a situation things happen very fast, you better know you gun, be very good with it and very fast and have your mental $hit together. Don't think because you have a gun that such a bear can't get you if you really piss him off, at a speed exceeding 40mph it can be on you before you would be able to chamber a second round. Have you ever shot a pissed off bear? They don't go down easy, their skulls are very thick and they are extremely tough.
My advice is simple....LEAVE asap and only a last life threatening situation should the gun be used and all other options were exhausted, in other words you will probably die.

As for the 2 legged protection, do you really want to go there?
I was in the forces for about 10yrs and served over seas. Taking a person's life, which i have witness...is forever life changing. Never for the better.

Anyhow, you will love your M590A1, great shot gun, i have one. Use it wisely.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't hunt, yet have a safe full of firearms and handgun's. If you actually knew me you would know i'm nothing like an American.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Now that wasn't nice.

Here is some advice on your idea of personal protection against bears and them 2 legged creatures.
One, you better know and understand what your doing as both can drastically change your life for ever.
Your shot gun is only effective to 50yrds, most people i have seen with shot guns can not hit anything effectively. Most all cannot shot more then 5-6 rounds without their arm and shoulder not able to hold the shot gun anymore. Unless you practice, practice, practice. Believe me the novelty wears off quickly when it gets painful to shoot.
Protection against bears in the bush is mostly PARANOIA. Most bears you will encounter are small and will bugger off. Chance encounter with a LARGE grizz or Kodiak are rare and generally are found way off the beaten track in very remote areas, not some where you would take an ATV.
But if you were to encounter such an animal, consider this. Your one and first shot will most likely be your last, piss off a territorial grizzly or wound him and he will kill you, guaranteed. In such a situation things happen very fast, you better know you gun, be very good with it and very fast and have your mental $hit together. Don't think because you have a gun that such a bear can't get you if you really piss him off, at a speed exceeding 40mph it can be on you before you would be able to chamber a second round. Have you ever shot a pissed off bear? They don't go down easy, their skulls are very thick and they are extremely tough.
My advice is simple....LEAVE asap and only a last life threatening situation should the gun be used and all other options were exhausted, in other words you will probably die.

As for the 2 legged protection, do you really want to go there?
I was in the forces for about 10yrs and served over seas. Taking a person's life, which i have witness...is forever life changing. Never for the better.

Anyhow, you will love your M590A1, great shot gun, i have one. Use it wisely.
I know it wasn't nice, but he started it. Lol.

I have ZERO intentions of ever shooting a person, and likely couldn't, even if the situation warranted it and I wanted to.

As for the bears... of course the gun would be a last resort, but I would MUCH sooner have the Mossy as my last resort, over my fists, fingernails, or even an axe.

We never plan on being in bad situations, but I sure would rather be prepared for them than not. The PAL legally affords me that luxury.

A PAL is not a hunting license. So, to say that my first gun must be a rifle (I would never line up a rifle site on even a bear) is a pretty generalizing statement.

I learned a lot during my restricted and non-restricted courses. A lot about the safe handling of firearms. Almost ZERO about hunting.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't have to hunt to have firearms. A lot of fun can be had shooting clay with the family on an afternoon. Doesn't take long to go through a couple hundred rounds of ammunition.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

And it continues.... Most of these post do the opposite of what are intended, which is to pass knowledge of past experiences. Spray is far more effective at close range then any lead you're going to toss.More bears in one guiding season then you'll ever see in a lifetime.(32 bears in 4 weeks to be exact last spring). And only once in the outfitters 23 yrs of running bear camps, that I had to shoot a charging bear which a hunter had wounded. Shot with 385g sabot, and the sow still picked her head up after. So yes Im very jealous of you purchasing your first very own p shooter. Make sure to buy a bad ass looking gun though! One that you will likely never have to use other then shooting pop can's. And unless a person plan's on shooting trap, hunting or competitive long and short target shooting, not really sure there is a reason to be a gun owner IMO. A $50 can of deterrent will get you out of any situation.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
And unless a person plan's on shooting trap, hunting or competitive long and short target shooting, not really sure there is a reason to be a gun owner IMO.

As you've stated, that's your opinion. Thank you for it. I'll take it under advisement. Have a nice evening. :)

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tough crowd in here today. Unless you are buying a gun to rob a bank or kill your neighbor enjoy the damn thing even if it looks bad ass. Its your right to carry arms in this country so buy what you want.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I was more or less getting at is being a firearm owner shouldn't be an image thing. They have their place and purpose. And just because you did a half day course and some paper work don't think you are now Rambo, respect your rights as an owner or it will just f**ck it up for everyone in the end.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
What I was more or less getting at is being a firearm owner shouldn't be an image thing. They have their place and purpose. And just because you did a half day course and some paper work don't think you are now Rambo, respect your rights as an owner or it will just f**ck it up for everyone in the end.

So, just because I want my firearm to look "badass", that means I'm not going to respect my rights as an owner? Exactly what do you think I "didn't take from the course I took"?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The M590A1 is definitely badass, They do have a firing pin issue but not all of them do. If you end up with one let me know and i can send you the upgrade to fix the issue. After the upgrade they can fire thousands of rounds with no problems.

You should consider a 45-70 guide rifle, it has far better bear stopping bone crunching power then a 12guage. Nice and compact, fun to shoot, has a certain cool appeal and can easily drop any large north american animal at over 100yrds, if needed. It will leave a big asss hole also.
Though it doesn't have that military black gun look, more the John Wayne....

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
I dunno Lund. It may not have the tactical look, but this picture makes it look pretty badass also.
3652d0d99239d5b687d4f24b7ce45188.jpg

But, I've been told that I shouldn't buy a firearm that looks good...

Top Bottom