Just completed PAL... need advice.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You've really got me thinking that I might go with the Marlin 1895 SBL first.

Question...... how is the ammo to find? And is it ridiculously spendy?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It depends what you get and where you get it, anywhere from as gibs said $40-65 a box. The Winchester X are about $45, while Federals will run about $55.
I have seen small gun shops sell them as reload for $35 a box and take your empties.
At an average of $2-3 per shell its not the cheapest to shot for sure.
Compare that to a 12guage, target load or bird shot is super cheap but boring as hell to shoot, just as well shoot blanks, it will shred a beer can and blow a clay pigeon and thats about it.
The fun starts with slugs, the cheapest i've found in slugs is a box of 5 for $8.99, 2 3/4" x 1oz and $11.99 for 3" x 1 1/4oz and up depending on what you get.

The other thing is with the 12guage loaded with slugs, even the 2 3/4oz you won't shoot over 10 rounds before your arm will want to fall off...a 12guage with slugs kick's like an SOB.
The 45-70 you will fire off a box no problem, not that you won't feel it after but nothing like a slug gun.

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a grizz eat 3 - 338 lupua and still come. Unless your going to use the shot gun to shoot yourself before the bear gets you. It's kind of a waste.
As for people. My good friend is the guy from Clive who's quad got stolen... End of the day it was not even remotely worth the hassle. I got rid of all my guns as I don't want the temptation and I'm retired from hunting.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the thing with shotguns and bears is close range, bird shot, in the eyes and nose, and if they are under 10 yards then bird shot acts the same as a slug,

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your looking at one of these :cool:
Maybe both
IMG_0499.jpg

Last edited:

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha!! That's awesome. Definitely both. Not at once, but also not far apart. Remlin first tho.

Not sure where you're shopping, but try Milarm or P&D here in Edmonton, they sometimes have better prices than the big box stores. I bought my Mossberg JIC 500 Mariner from Wolverine Supplies out of Manitoba, they had the best prices on that particular model. Even with shipping it was a better price than Wholesale ( this was before Cabelas in Canada) I've put hundreds of rounds through this gun, it's definitely fun to shoot, plus you don't have to worry about a sore shoulder with this one

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Not sure where you're shopping, but try Milarm or P&D here in Edmonton, they sometimes have better prices than the big box stores. I bought my Mossberg JIC 500 Mariner from Wolverine Supplies out of Manitoba, they had the best prices on that particular model. Even with shipping it was a better price than Wholesale ( this was before Cabelas in Canada) I've put hundreds of rounds through this gun, it's definitely fun to shoot, plus you don't have to worry about a sore shoulder with this one
Yeah. I checked both. Neither has the SBL. Wanstall's in BC has it tho. And for a few dollars less than the box stores.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Lund I'm curious on your 45-70. I was looking on Marlins website and all they show is them as laminate. Was yours a specific year or something? Just curious as to the wood you mentioned.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Lund I'm curious on your 45-70. I was looking on Marlins website and all they show is them as laminate. Was yours a specific year or something? Just curious as to the wood you mentioned.

I tried to find supporting info on the laminate wood used, i had at one time but can't seem to find it. It was a while back.
I purchased my 45-70 directly from Marlin arms and have had it now for a few years, it was my 50th birthday gift.
This is what i have been told by their sales rep. at the time i purchased and have read in some articles.
The stock on this rifle is a natural laminate and not an industrial laminate like used on many other's or some after market stock's like Boyd's. So yes it is a laminate, sorry for my miss info. it is not a man made laminate but a naturally produced laminate.
My understanding from what i was told is the wood is imported from South America.

I see this rifle has really gone up in price and is getting tougher to get. I thinking maybe they are produced in limited numbers, don't know?
I think i paid around $695, from what i see now they run over a $1000.

I don't know Doug, just going by what i was told. I will keep looking for the info on the stock.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I tried to find supporting info on the laminate wood used, i had at one time but can't seem to find it. It was a while back.
I purchased my 45-70 directly from Marlin arms and have had it now for a few years, it was my 50th birthday gift.
This is what i have been told by their sales rep. at the time i purchased and have read in some articles.
The stock on this rifle is a natural laminate and not an industrial laminate like used on many other's or some after market stock's like Boyd's. So yes it is a laminate, sorry for my miss info. it is not a man made laminate but a naturally produced laminate.
My understanding from what i was told is the wood is imported from South America.

Interesting wordage................

WTF is a "natural laminate"??

There is laminate that is produced from synthetic material (flooring and other 'wood look alikes) and there is laminate produced from natural material (i.e. plywood). I don't know about a "natural laminate"...............school me please.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I see this rifle has really gone up in price and is getting tougher to get. I thinking maybe they are produced in limited numbers, don't know?
I think i paid around $695, from what i see now they run over a $1000.

I don't know Doug, just going by what i was told. I will keep looking for the info on the stock.
Yeah they're not cheap anymore. 1350.00 to buy at the couple places I found who sell them.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting wordage................

WTF is a "natural laminate"??

There is laminate that is produced from synthetic material (flooring and other 'wood look alikes) and there is laminate produced from natural material (i.e. plywood). I don't know about a "natural laminate"...............school me please.

Laminate is a process not a product.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Wanstall's in Maple Ridge, BC. They were one of the only online retailers I found that had them in stock, and they were cheaper than Cabelas or Wholesale (forget which one carries them).

Top Bottom