Just completed PAL... need advice.

Reaction score
So I spent this weekend taking my UR/R PAL courses, and I am hoping to buy myself a gun for Christmas (assuming the timing works out).

I am looking for suggestions as to what rifle to buy. I do not, nor have I ever hunted...... I am not against hunting when it is for food and not sport, but that is not my primary goal. I'd like to just go out somewhere safe, not to a range that costs even more money, and shoot targets. I saw "Battleship" targets at the Shooting Edge that looked like they would be a alot of fun to p[lay with a buddy at a couple hundred yards (or more). So here is what I'd like....

1. The ability to shoot targets long range... say 500+ yards.
2. Looking for a budget of about $1000 hopefully.
3. I'd like, should the world go to sh!t, to be able to hunt as well...... possibly something as large as moose, but if that affects #1, then smaller game is okay as well. (deer maybe?)
4. I'd prefer new only because I'm not well versed enough to inspect a gun to my satisfaction that it's in good shape without any defects. (safety thing). But it isn't impossible, as I have people who could check it out for me.
5. If you have any suggestions.... a link is appreciated.

Don't get too complicated on me.... I'm still struggling with some of the terminology. K.I.S.S.

Thanks everyone :)

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If your planning on hunting big game I'd go with a .270. I picked up a this gun awhile back. Sighted in 3 shots. Doing some good damage to yotes at 200+ yards but no big game this year.

Look at .17 if your planning on playing with little critters

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a .308 in a t3 tikka. Plastic stock and blued barrel. Then get the best scope you can afford. Rifle will be about 700.

Agreed, lots of people dis the .308 for its lack of ballistic ability compared to modern mag cals and they are right to a certain extent however if you are looking for an affordable shooter with the possibility of decent mil surplus ammo you can't beat them.

T3 is superb for the amount of money spent

Reaction score
If your planning on hunting big game I'd go with a .270. I picked up a this gun awhile back. Sighted in 3 shots. Doing some good damage to yotes at 200+ yards but no big game this year.

Look at .17 if your planning on playing with little critters

What game is appropriate for the .270, and what's an "expected range" if just target shooting? My goal is not to hunt... as I said that's only if the world goes to hell.... at which point it would be more about survival than rules... and I'd shoot anything I could eat.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting bad when you have to buy a rifle based on the availability of ammo and price 223 there is lots of ammo for. I agree with the .308 as well. I just love the 22 chiappa little badger at 175 dollars a safe gun as well for your first. I have a 300 win mag, I use it for everything including deer, I hate chasing animals. But get the .308

Last edited:

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As has been mentioned a 308 is a very good all around caliber. With the right bullets in can be used effectively on any North American game that you would like and is a very capable target cartridge as well. I think that Tikka makes a good rifle but i wouldn't shy away from any of the major brands. Any reputable gun shop(think private guys vs big box) should be able to help you out with a used rifle. Many times you can find a quality used rifle that will come with rings and bases and that will help out quite a lot with the budget.

It sounds to me like you are new to the whole gun thing so i would encourage you to join a good range and attend before you buy. Many shooters will be glad to let you see what they have and give advice.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
308 is a great caliber, nice and light, I have one in a old lever action winchester and is one of my favourite rifles. Tika makes a very good quality rifle which is worth taking a look at. 30-06 is a very popular caliber which can be used on all size of game and very easy to find the ammunition.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a look at Browning the make some nice guns.

I use a 300 mag with muzzle

Reaction score
I cannot stress enough to have a walk through the stores ammo before ever purchasing a caliber. It will be an eye opener for a naïve person.

Not something I had considered honestly. However ammo price isn't my primary concern... This will be a casual hobby (I think)... as I have too many hobbies. lol

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22-250 if your looking for a good long range riffle. Its not always so much the gun but the shooter. Take some time with whatever it is you buy and learn how it works, different ammo with different grains and different tip style can change ballistics drastically. If you change from a ballistic tip to blunt tip it can change the effective target zone by as much as 12" per 100m depending on caliber. If your going to get into long range 250m+ I suggest doing some reading. The "doping the wind" series is a good place to start.

I love my 22-250 for 300-1000m shots. Takes lots and lots and lots of practice the longer the shot. So many variables come into play. Its a awesome hobby with gear and toys being limitless. Enjoy

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One more time, I guess I have not brought this point home at all. Take a walk through the store's ammo supply before buying any caliber. Then get back on here and post what you observered. I look forward to hearing your rant.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
22-250 is a nice shooting gun. Lots of ammo for them and pretty cheap to. But if you are planning on hunting you can't use that rifle. 270 short mag is my next gun. 25-06 is another one worth looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
22-250 if your looking for a good long range riffle. Its not always so much the gun but the shooter. Take some time with whatever it is you buy and learn how it works, different ammo with different grains and different tip style can change ballistics drastically. If you change from a ballistic tip to blunt tip it can change the effective target zone by as much as 12" per 100m depending on caliber. If your going to get into long range 250m+ I suggest doing some reading. The "doping the wind" series is a good place to start.

I love my 22-250 for 300-1000m shots. Takes lots and lots and lots of practice the longer the shot. So many variables come into play. Its a awesome hobby with gear and toys being limitless. Enjoy

Making my way up to 1000m is a goal... I won't know how realistic that is, until I shoot consistently at 100m. :) It does sound like an excellent hobby. Lots of good advice in this thread for sure.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the world of guns and hunting.
Opinions on rifles are like azz holes...everyone has one. I suggest to start doing lots of researching and reading. The more knowledge you gain is very beneficial. If you have friends with rifles try to go out shooting and use their guns. get used to buying ammo.
If you have not done a lot of shooting and do not have rifles yet, I suggest starting with a .22 or .17 hmr. That way you can get used to shooting,learn good habits and more economical to shoot several hundred rounds a day.
My .22 and .17 are both over $1000.00 each, and if I pick up my .22, .270 or .300 i am very confident with each them.

Top Bottom