Just completed PAL... need advice.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have a Tika 22-250 T3 stainless and white camo with a scope for sale pretty soon.

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you never owned before and are looking at mostly target shooting.

I would look at an SKS 7.62 x39mm.

Ammo & gun is stupid cheap and then you could get a feel for what features you want.

It is only effective to 150 to 200yds for hunting deer

Gun - Under $300
Scope $100 to $200 to unlimited
Ammo - 1500 rounds of FMJ (target only not hunting)- $300
Hunting ammo - less than $1.00 per round

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you never owned before and are looking at mostly target shooting.

I would look at an SKS 7.62 x39mm.

Ammo & gun is stupid cheap and then you could get a feel for what features you want.

It is only effective to 150 to 200yds for hunting deer

Gun - Under $300
Scope $100 to $200 to unlimited
Ammo - 1500 rounds of FMJ (target only not hunting)- $300
Hunting ammo - less than $1.00 per round
Target shooting with a SKS?????? What is your target??? A barn at 50m?? LMAO. Start with a rifle that can actually shoot accurately. Build on it. Start with **** and you will shoot like ****.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Target shooting with a SKS?????? What is your target??? A barn at 50m?? LMAO. Start with a rifle that can actually shoot accurately. Build on it. Start with **** and you will shoot like ****.

Sks is only good at making noise! I have yet to see one shoot remotely accurate. 50yards they group in a 6" circle lol. They are like loud cans on sleds in the wrong hands they bring a bad rap to guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go big man get a 300, i run a 300 wsm in a remington and love it blows over everything in its path great gun

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only bad thing is a big gun can ruin a good shooter. To much kick will make a guy twitch when pulling the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people do not realise is that the 300wm with superperformace bullets drop less than a 22-250 does at 500yards. I own a lot of calibers including the 22-250 ..mine cost 1500 bucks just for the gun alone. At times no bullets are available for this gun. I look over and see thousands of round for the 223 which is pretty similar to this caliber. I would have to take my laptop down and type for a while to list my guns.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people do not realise is that the 300wm with superperformace bullets drop less than a 22-250 does at 500yards. I own a lot of calibers including the 22-250 ..mine cost 1500 bucks just for the gun alone. At times no bullets are available for this gun. I look over and see thousands of round for the 223 which is pretty similar to this caliber. I would have to take my laptop down and type for a while to list my guns.
Slow one finger typer? We have a couple of those at work too.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha ha. You know you have too many guns when you forget what you even have. I know for sure some are missing I seen them at my kids place.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great gun for a new gun owner. Sure will save on ammo. His shoulder should be OK in a few weeks!!
All depends, my 270 pump kicks more than my 7mm! My vote would be a 7mm. I have a 250, 270, 300 and my 7mm. Love my 7mm and very accurate at 500 yards! It's my go to gun!

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your 270 pump is most probably a Remington 760 Game Master. They make a very good jack handle. I didn`t say the 7mm Remington magnum was not a great gun. I was just questioning whether it would be appropriate for a first gun.
All depends, my 270 pump kicks more than my 7mm! My vote would be a 7mm. I have a 250, 270, 300 and my 7mm. Love my 7mm and very accurate at 500 yards! It's my go to gun!

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy yourself a nice little .22, with a decent scope. Shoot it LOTS. Then, learn what you like and want/need. I have a Ruger 10/22 kryptek raid stainless with a silver scorpion scope. Bought it on sale.

I have that same scope on a savage bolt .22 that lives on my quad when hunting and I love it.

I'd be hesitant to start shooting with the big guys first. Work on technique with cheap relatively quiet and no recoil rimfire. Then pick up a big guy.

Prsledder

Reaction score
Buy yourself a nice little .22, with a decent scope. Shoot it LOTS. Then, learn what you like and want/need. I have a Ruger 10/22 kryptek raid stainless with a silver scorpion scope. Bought it on sale.

I have that same scope on a savage bolt .22 that lives on my quad when hunting and I love it.

I'd be hesitant to start shooting with the big guys first. Work on technique with cheap relatively quiet and no recoil rimfire. Then pick up a big guy.

Good advice

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never suggest to a first time gun owner to buy a 7mm or 300. You simply could not sit at the range and shoot one all day. An a bit overkill in my mind for game. For a fella with quite a few rifles, maybe, just allows for options when going out. I own around 50 rifles and never thought about getting those caliber a but that's just me.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the guys that say get a smaller gun like a 22 and start plinking away. Get good at shooting first before working your way up to big calibers and long distances. A smaller gun might help get your wife and children in on the hobby too. I know when I go skeet shooting the girlfriend hated trying to learn with a twelve gauge because of the weight and kick. With a 410 she was able to be less afraid of the gun, less exhausted lifting it and pay more attention to hitting the target.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well you could always buy a ledsled, 7mm and 300 wander after 5 shots on a steel barrel 3 shots on a stainless barrel. Of all my guns when everyone goes out shooting the 175 dollar chiappa's get the most attention. And I have not seen one person yet that has not bought their own after using it. It does miss fire once in a while though. The barrel is already threaded for a suppressor. And I do own a ruger 10/22 take down.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A cheap shooter and all around quality hunting gun and good learner would be a 30-06. yes there are better ones but a far as bang for the buck I would choose it. Lots of ammo and you can hunt pretty much anything with it.

Top Bottom