Just completed PAL... need advice.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my books any gun that does what it's supposed to do is a good gun. Scopes on the other hand are a different story, you definitely get what you pay for. I am not going to bash any brand but if you buy a cheap scope expect cheap results
What is the worst shooting guns you guys have owned? Worst scopes to?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see Leupold and Zeiss now have Chinese knock offs. Leupold website covers how to tell if it is a cheap knock off.

Reaction score
In my books any gun that does what it's supposed to do is a good gun. Scopes on the other hand are a different story, you definitely get what you pay for. I am not going to bash any brand but if you buy a cheap scope expect cheap results

What do you consider cheap vs quality (price wise?)

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you want under 1000 Browning, Tikka, Vanguard are consistent tight shooters. Go over a 1000 a bit and Winchester Remington Savage and Sako really get tight groups. If you settle on a 300 make sure and triple check you have the right ammo before leaving the store, the small 300 are easy to spot. win mag, short mags , and weatherby might not be also they can have 30% recoil reducing ammo in the 300 as well.

Last edited:

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thin you're jumping the gun here, you're first msg to thread you just passed you're pal over the weekend? Have you sent all you're paperwork in to firearms Canada? It will take anywhere from3-6 months to process. That being said expecting you're card before xmas unlikely

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best way to understand it would be to use it. If your expecting a long range shot say beyond 300 yards but only want to spend $100 you might have difficulty. Not saying it's not doable but will make things easier. I myself like a crystal clear picture, higher end scopes will capture more light and keep the image clear where as some cheap model focus more on the zoom or just magnify the image. Think of it like a digital camera. 3-4 magapix not bad on a small screen or from a distance but if your looking for a more clear bigger image with detail and from a greater distance you need to up the megapixels. People will tell you that one gun scope combination is good for this but not for that. I turned a savage 30-06 into a 400 yard shooter with a cheap Bushnell scope but couldn't hit the board at 100m. I would recommend buying something that you like and in your budget, you can get a very effective combination for under $1000 and you will see the things you do or don't like, what you can live with or can't before you make your next purchase. Also shop it around, many ma and pa gun stores can be cheaper and far more informative the say cabellas. Happy shooting.
What do you consider cheap vs quality (price wise?)

troy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started my son with two guns
22 long rifle , very cheap to target shoot
And a 25-06 and he took his first deer and his first moose with it
The 22 is a 10/22
And the 25/06 is a tiki t-3

I hate spell check

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a 30-06 and 300win mag not hitting at 100m, I sold both guns. Maybe you bought one of them and got it shooting right.

Reaction score
I thin you're jumping the gun here, you're first msg to thread you just passed you're pal over the weekend? Have you sent all you're paperwork in to firearms Canada? It will take anywhere from3-6 months to process. That being said expecting you're card before xmas unlikely

75% of the people i work with have their PALS... none of them waited that long. The shop where I took the course also told us "expect to wait 4 to 6 weeks". Anyway, thanks for your contribution...... also.. where do you get that this is my first message? Carry on sir.... I'd rather prepare early and have extra time, than wait until the last minute and make a rush decision.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 243 savage combo for one of my boys a few years ago, paid around 450 I think, and it has a tighter group then my wife 243 browning Xbolt with a Vortex scope.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a tikka rifle and vortex glass. First focal plane. Even a second focal plane scope is good. The vortex warranty is basically "if you smash it , we'll fix it or give you a new one". Check out vortex opticshttp://www.vortexoptics.com/

Vortex Optics - Home

Last edited:

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, like Medler said, can't beat vortex warranty. you run it over they will replace it, and don't need a receipt.

Top Bottom