I guess we will need a new Matryx 900 section tomorrow?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet Brett could do that with the current 850, and we wouldn't know the difference between the two.

That fella can ride, pretty neat watching him shred through the trees, then do a 60' cliff drop and make both look effortless.
He is no doubt a good rider also a xgame and snowcross background

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really hoped they would steer clear of a 900 with their past history. This is a "race mod performance engine" according to Polaris - a case-modified BB on an 850 bottom end using the same 850 castings just with different liners (so that's at least a good thing for consumers), new upper case and a new head design. CNC porting compared to the cast-in-place porting on the 850's. This is not a new engine but will be good for the aftermarket guys who have not offered a 900 kit yet, should make their work pretty easy. Might even see a 9R Boost kit?

Both use the 74 mm stroke, so here's a key point - they lost weight on the crank and flywheel to balance with the new lightweight pistons. They tried this in 2008 and this was the lesson they learned with the 800 CFI - most of them needed a Durability Kit with pistons that were 1/4" taller so the added length could support the skirt (and also the same reason they increased the cylinder skirts in 2010, 2012 AND 2013.....). There was also oiling issues with that motor but we won't go there......Hopefully Polaris adjusted the fuel mapping to "production friendly" for the 9R, as bigger pistons need more fuel to keep them big domes cool (even with the new ceramic coating).

Bore and stroke ratio they are getting closer to the 800 CFI..... Less crank mass = faster revs, but big twins DO NOT like RPM. With a low rod ratio motor, your piston speed is already increased, and has more inertial force to slow down, as well as generates more friction and heat. This is hard on all the bearings and also pistons. The cylinder and piston need to have strong support on the sections of the cylinder where the rod angles are the steepest and oiling added at critical points for friction reduction. No word yet if this is a single or double ring piston. Hoping these types of issues were addressed.

Yes the pros are running these - thats a big jump off though since they are sponsored and also generally have far more prescriptive maintenance routines. Also, they rarely bite the hands that feed them, even if they have issues. Time is gonna tell on this one if they did their homework.

Bore and strokes
900 RMK - 83 x 80
800 CFI - 85 x 70
850 - 85 x 74
new 900 - 89 x 74

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really hoped they would steer clear of a 900 with their past history. This is a "race mod performance engine" according to Polaris - a case-modified BB on an 850 bottom end using the same 850 castings just with different liners (so that's at least a good thing for consumers), new upper case and a new head design. CNC porting compared to the cast-in-place porting on the 850's. This is not a new engine but will be good for the aftermarket guys who have not offered a 900 kit yet, should make their work pretty easy. Might even see a 9R Boost kit?

Both use the 74 mm stroke, so here's a key point - they lost weight on the crank and flywheel to balance with the new lightweight pistons. They tried this in 2008 and this was the lesson they learned with the 800 CFI - most of them needed a Durability Kit with pistons that were 1/4" taller so the added length could support the skirt (and also the same reason they increased the cylinder skirts in 2010, 2012 AND 2013.....). There was also oiling issues with that motor but we won't go there......Hopefully Polaris adjusted the fuel mapping to "production friendly" for the 9R, as bigger pistons need more fuel to keep them big domes cool (even with the new ceramic coating).

Bore and stroke ratio they are getting closer to the 800 CFI..... Less crank mass = faster revs, but big twins DO NOT like RPM. With a low rod ratio motor, your piston speed is already increased, and has more inertial force to slow down, as well as generates more friction and heat. This is hard on all the bearings and also pistons. The cylinder and piston need to have strong support on the sections of the cylinder where the rod angles are the steepest and oiling added at critical points for friction reduction. No word yet if this is a single or double ring piston. Hoping these types of issues were addressed.

Yes the pros are running these - thats a big jump off though since they are sponsored and also generally have far more prescriptive maintenance routines. Also, they rarely bite the hands that feed them, even if they have issues. Time is gonna tell on this one if they did their homework.

Bore and strokes
900 RMK - 83 x 80
800 CFI - 85 x 70
850 - 85 x 74
new 900 - 89 x 74
Looks to be single ring

Attachments

• 9R.PNG
    9R.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 104

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is at more of an angle and you can't put material back into the clutch. So no, from what I understand about it.

You can put the P85 on the 850/900 but the P22 cannot go on 800. Some learnings on the early P22 so be interesting to see what happens.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turcotte 2021 - this boost is insane! My go to sled forsure! Total destroyer animal in all conditions! zero lag! Runs like a N/A

Turcotte 2022 - this 900r is insane! My go to sled forsure! Total destroyer animal in all conditions! Zero lag compared to the boost

Sorry but you can’t use 137hp at elevation and INSANE in the same sentence

Although he did say when he goes to Revelstoke he will be on a boost so that makes sense. Steep and deep

900r good for pulling the kids around on the sleigh that’s about it. Oh and the cut block cowboys. 26k boat anchor at 8000ft

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turcotte 2021 - this boost is insane! My go to sled forsure! Total destroyer animal in all conditions! zero lag! Runs like a N/A

Turcotte 2022 - this 900r is insane! My go to sled forsure! Total destroyer animal in all conditions! Zero lag compared to the boost

Although he did say when he goes to Revelstoke he will be on a boost so that makes sense. Steep and deep

900r good for pulling the kids around on the sleigh that’s about it. Oh and the cut block cowboys. 26k boat anchor at 8000ft
So all current NA sleds in the mountains are boat anchors? Turbo can be better, sure but saying the NAs are boat anchors is pretty extreme.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It is safe to say that the combo of Doolaide and double vaxxing has melted a lot of the circuitry between your ears. Poor little fella. ☹️

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put a deposit down on a Khaos Boost . Make my final color selections and options this week but based on feedback I’m getting I might have won the sled lottery. Most places are telling me they got 1 Khaos for every 10 snowcheck…. And the allotments were much smaller this year.

Now to break the good news to the wife.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

emoji1787.png

So by you discription what you're saying is Doo makes one semi-decent sled (the still semi fat G5 850R) and the rest of the under powered BRP NA lineup are all boat anchors.
Well if you say so I guess it's true.
You Doo guys sure get butt hurt in a hurry when some one else has a more spectacular release.
Need to wean yourself off the doolaid, you know you want a 900 Pro.
Get that Pro feeling!!!
We won't judge you for making a great choice.
C o m e c l o s e r , w a l k t o w a r d s t h e
l i g h t!!!!

Last edited:

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So much hate in this thread ???? why so angry skidoo guys? Its just a 900 cc for the guys that don't want turbos, people comparing it to a 900 built 16 years ago... wtf is wrong with some of you guys. Is it cuz skidoo didn't come out with a 900 option this year ? What is it that makes you guys so mad to condemn something that's not even out yet for the masses?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So much hate in this thread ???? why so angry skidoo guys? Its just a 900 cc for the guys that don't want turbos, people comparing it to a 900 built 16 years ago... wtf is wrong with some of you guys. Is it cuz skidoo didn't come out with a 900 option this year ? What is it that makes you guys so mad to condemn something that's not even out yet for the masses?

its not much, but its honest work

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup if doo had come out with the 900 first it would be a game changer! But now because Polaris did it’s pretty lame lol.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup if doo had come out with the 900 first it would be a game changer! But now because Polaris did it’s pretty lame lol.

say this a few times fast

137hp......26 grand
137hp......26 grand
137hp......26 grand
137hp......26 grand

once they boost it we will be in trouble. But until then its a marketing gimmick

Top Bottom