I guess we will need a new Matryx 900 section tomorrow?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everything that I've read up and watched on the 9R, it does sound neat, time on the snow will tell.

But I also find it hilarious how hard they are bashing on the bottom end of the 850 boost isn't any good in the trees.

Well maybe if poolaris used a fuel Injection technology that wasn't 15 ish years old it wouldn't be as boggy.

Doo gave up on SDI in their 600's in the mid 2000 if I rember right.

IMO semi direct is best for boost. Direct injection doesn't give enough time for the fuel to mix with the air at 8000rpm and throttle bodies injectors wash the fuel off the crank. Next year we will find out where the extra fuel do is putting in is coming from, if it coming from the auxillary injectors the rate of crank failure and lack of lubrication symptoms is likely to rear it's head.

Time will tell I guess, I've been wrong before.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WHAT? Cost, Complexity, Fuel and Oil consumption, Weight, Turbo lag. And if you don't feel much lag now it is because you don't have much boost now. Wait till the higher Doo boost model gets nice heavy clutch weights and see if you notice the lag before boost is built.

The throttle response on the new 180hp doo is better than its predecessor with more hp. Skidoo did not just flash this machine and add weight, it has been re-engineered to provide the same or better level of engien response

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO semi direct is best for boost. Direct injection doesn't give enough time for the fuel to mix with the air at 8000rpm and throttle bodies injectors wash the fuel off the crank. Next year we will find out where the extra fuel do is putting in is coming from, if it coming from the auxillary injectors the rate of crank failure and lack of lubrication symptoms is likely to rear it's head.

Time will tell I guess, I've been wrong before.
You might be onto something there, could be why the 850's don't last as long as the 800 etec.

Either way, all the new sleds are pretty deadly, except for the price, faaack

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m excited for the new 9r. Fresh meat for the Alpha to spank! The turbos are just out of reach for a tuned alpha but the 9r will be ripe for breaking some hearts. Chrisco you should get one, I miss spanking your n/a 850. lol.

i dont think he wont be leaving boost any time in the near future lol

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really get the feeling these companies are cashing in on the “scarcity”. Jack up the price, limited the timeline, promote a limited supply and guys are tripping over each other to check one before it really sets in what’s going on….even before all the 4 have released there product.

Or is this just the cost of doing business today. Things have really escalated in a hurry. I bought a 2020 alpha and the 2022 is almost 40% higher. Wtf.

This will come to a grinding halt when the used market drops out because all the new or new/old riders drop the sport to go back to what they were doing prior to Covid.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I really get the feeling these companies are cashing in on the “scarcity”. Jack up the price, limited the timeline, promote a limited supply and guys are tripping over each other to check one before it really sets in what’s going on….even before all the 4 have released there product.

Or is this just the cost of doing business today. Things have really escalated in a hurry. I bought a 2020 alpha and the 2022 is almost 40% higher. Wtf.

This will come to a grinding halt when the used market drops out because all the new or new/old riders drop the sport to go back to what they were doing prior to Covid.
Interest rate. The old saying cash is king is long gone. My friend was looking at a camper and wanted to pay cash and the dealer flat out told him to go spend his cash some place else, they make more money financing.

Dealers can sell a sled for 3000 more than private because they finance. Private buyers either can't afford to pay that much cash or are the people who know it's not worth that much.

If the interest rates start to climb there is going to be a lot of hanging lips when people find out borrowing money isn't free, it had just been free the last few years.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2 dealers I’ve bought from on the last 2 new sleds told me that exact thing. Financing makes them the cash and 90% finance new sled purchases. Cash purchases they don’t really care for. Lol.

I guess my point all there doing is killing the snowmobile culture. Pricing it out of range for people to get into.

I know my wage hasn’t gone up 40% since 2012. If anything went backwards.

It is amazing though what doo and poo have brought to the table. Beauty sleds.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good factory mountain sleds, lack of guys who know how to tune, constantly changing engine designs, and now hairdryers (and factory hairdryers!) have killed the larger BB market. The factory castings will only accept a certain overbore before they are too thin and crack. Nikasil allowed direct plating to castings so if you are serious about making BB's, you need to design new jugs with liners. Prototyping, tooling up and production machining for big bores is a lot of money.

Builders cannot afford to make 50 of something for a low price, you need like 500 or 5000. And piston companies like Wiseco want minimum orders, so you order 1000 pistons, carry the overhead and hope that you sell them all. Or you make kits or parts as they are ordered, but then the customer is waiting 3 weeks for parts, while their buddy bolts on a turbo and burns his sled down too, but he goes and buys parts right off the shelf at Doo / Polaris and is riding the next weekend. Every time the OEM's change the motor, its a full reset to build something that adapts to the new stuff. $$$

There are still guys that will build you a true custom BB package, but the costs are big. A used 1007 Crankshop motor (230 HP) with a core 800R bottom end will run you $7,200 USD (so that's like $9,000 CAD with shipping). And its a race motor so you better know how to tune, which most people don't (and can't be bothered with) these days.

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 900r falls short on what Polaris should have provided customers, it shoulda been a 950 or 1000 at least
But that will b next year I guess, or the one after. why50cc at a time only. Just milkin it out on the long run.

Its cool don’t get me wrong but maybe Peeps are looking at it wrong??? Maybe it is enough power, it’s just that all sleds are to dam heavy? (@500lb)
Maybe a 700cc would b plenty, if sleds only weights 250lbs
I think less weight might/should b the real goal for sled companies not more horse power.
It’s 2023 almost now, and there is really strong building materials out there to make it work.
Idk…..I’m just bored rn thinking about how to make my new sc boost lighter when I get it.or links track or . Or or ….lol

500lb ish is a lot of weight for anybody

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good factory mountain sleds, lack of guys who know how to tune, constantly changing engine designs, and now hairdryers (and factory hairdryers!) have killed the larger BB market. The factory castings will only accept a certain overbore before they are too thin and crack. Nikasil allowed direct plating to castings so if you are serious about making BB's, you need to design new jugs with liners. Prototyping, tooling up and production machining for big bores is a lot of money.

Builders cannot afford to make 50 of something for a low price, you need like 500 or 5000. And piston companies like Wiseco want minimum orders, so you order 1000 pistons, carry the overhead and hope that you sell them all. Or you make kits or parts as they are ordered, but then the customer is waiting 3 weeks for parts, while their buddy bolts on a turbo and burns his sled down too, but he goes and buys parts right off the shelf at Doo / Polaris and is riding the next weekend. Every time the OEM's change the motor, its a full reset to build something that adapts to the new stuff. $$$

There are still guys that will build you a true custom BB package, but the costs are big. A used 1007 Crankshop motor (230 HP) with a core 800R bottom end will run you $7,200 USD (so that's like $9,000 CAD with shipping). And its a race motor so you better know how to tune, which most people don't (and can't be bothered with) these days.
I'm one of those guys. I have tuned lean burn twin turbo natural gas engines through work. But snowmobiling is my rec time. I don't mind wrenching and customizing while I'm not riding. But I don't want to be sitting in the mountains with my sled torn a part changing clutch components or a lap top hooked up to it.

For the snow and terrain I ride I snowchecked a 9R 155 Khaos. And the only thing I might do to it is a Kurt's geardown since QD2 belts are expensive and hard to get. All these new sleds are getting so good right out of the crate it's just too easy, Arctic Cat included.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im a polaris faithful hands down, but i cannot understand the hype for this 900. And the price... its more then what i paid for my boost. Has everyone forgotten that we ride at 6-8000 feet?? These Polaris ambassadors are as bad as our politicians. Repeat the same agenda and the masses will follow.

Regardless of what the REAL HP number is of the 850 to the 900 its only 7%. So, lets use 165HP for the 850 add the 7% giving the 900 177HP. Most of Valemount is right at 7000'. 3% per 1000 loss will give you 146 hp vs 180ish hp on the boost.

I hope everyone realizes a clutched and gear down 850 will be as fast or faster then this 900..... but ya... go spend 25K for a 12hp increase...

PS. i did snowcheck a 900 as the will need clutching

MarkCos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
87EBDCE8-879C-43CA-8FB9-35F1C71938ED.png
A set of these bad boyz on a 900r..if they makem next year, would b sick

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a polaris faithful hands down, but i cannot understand the hype for this 900. And the price... its more then what i paid for my boost. Has everyone forgotten that we ride at 6-8000 feet?? These Polaris ambassadors are as bad as our politicians. Repeat the same agenda and the masses will follow.

Regardless of what the REAL HP number is of the 850 to the 900 its only 7%. So, lets use 165HP for the 850 add the 7% giving the 900 177HP. Most of Valemount is right at 7000'. 3% per 1000 loss will give you 146 hp vs 180ish hp on the boost.

I hope everyone realizes a clutched and gear down 850 will be as fast or faster then this 900..... but ya... go spend 25K for a 12hp increase...

PS. i did snowcheck a 900 as the will need clutching
All of my riding is below 7000. If you try really hard you can get to 7000 but not much for riding as you are in the top of a ridge lol. Most of it is between 5800 and 6500.

I like low end response. And I also like new things lol. I will be calling you for a 9R clutch kit and Kurt's once you have it figured though.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might be onto something there, could be why the 850's don't last as long as the 800 etec.

Either way, all the new sleds are pretty deadly, except for the price, faaack

Forsure, 15 years ago $25k bought you a mod sled of approximately the same capabilities as the stock sleds of today.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im sure the 900R will have wicked bottom end. The kurts gear down and clutching will only make it that much better... and a cut skidoo track.. lol

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The throttle response on the new 180hp doo is better than its predecessor with more hp. Skidoo did not just flash this machine and add weight, it has been re-engineered to provide the same or better level of engien response

Please regale the good people of Snow and Mud with your extensive personal experience demonstrating this claim. I'll wait. :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom