How fast can your life change?

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could someone post a list of emergency numbers a guy should have for vale and revy for that matter. I pack lots of survival and emergency stuff but after reading this I notice I have no idea who I should call if something actually happened
just a passing thought..but alot of us check the area fourms before we go out riding. what we should have is either a sticky at the top of each fourm or area with contacts or a separate fourm for it. I think it would help alot of people unfamiliar to these areas out as few probably honestly think of it or know where to start.
if this takes some financial horsepower we were considering sponsoring the site and will if it takes a few bucks to make something like this happen.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
just a passing thought..but alot of us check the area fourms before we go out riding. what we should have is either a sticky at the top of each fourm or area with contacts or a separate fourm for it. I think it would help alot of people unfamiliar to these areas out as few probably honestly think of it or know where to start.
if this takes some financial horsepower we were considering sponsoring the site and will if it takes a few bucks to make something like this happen.

This is an absolutely fantastic idea!

Thanks Kyle, for sharing your story. I'm just starting out, but have already learned so much here, and this is a big learning experience for ALL of us.

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Kyle, here's hoping for a swift recovery and many more happy sledding days ahead of you!

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One hell of a story Kyle and one I sure everybody will take something from and use in their everyday lives.

Wishing you a swift recovery

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope u get better soon dude

Was trying to explain to my wife what happened , show her a video, then let her read ur story

I know I have seen a YouTube video, with a guy on a rev and helmet cam that does the same thing

But I can't find it

Anyone know where it is??

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get well soon and thank you very much for sharing your story. I was just pulling into Barry and Judy's bed and breakfast in mcbride when I heard Barry say that he was on standby to come rescue you in the vale chopper. Shook me up a bit before I started riding that week. Glad your okay and your situation has also made me re-evaluate my equipment & mentality when it comes to mountain riding. Your story has helped educate a lot of newer or seasoned riders. We need this to keep pushing our sport to become safer everyday we are on the hill.

Take care.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Was trying to explain to my wife what happened , show her a video, then let her read ur story

I know I have seen a YouTube video, with a guy on a rev and helmet cam that does the same thing

But I can't find it

post 519 page 52 or 53 in valemount conditions thread

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get well soon kyle and thanks for sharing your experience

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

But I can't find it

I tried to find that to and it's the same hill to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tried to find that to and it's the same hill to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes figured it was the same hill
That was hard to watch.... I wish I had as much snow on the other side as that guy did!
I bet, that's what my wife asked, she said there's snow to land in

I told here that was in march ish

She said ooooooh..

Snow is soft if it's snow below

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy story. Glad to hear you on the mend. You're a lucky man! Get well soon!!

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Do you have to use a chair, then a walker? Might be good practice wayyyy down the road when you go to an old folks home, start calling everyone Billy, are eternally bitter and have to wear a bib...around your neck, plus snow sports activities have degraded to watching the guy shovelling the walk and thinking he's doing it all wrong! Lol.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi kyle pete here i know what your going through when it comes to your thoughts and emossion, in 08 2 friends an i were up in holy grail at blue on the sunniest day of sledding i ever had. It took us 4 hrs to get there that day but when we made it we all started high fiven each other because there was not one bird track in the snow that day. Just 3 guy that were in heaven.
Then like you, **** hit the fan, we started pokin at this average hill, all taken about 2 turns each when i was coming down and ron went up for his 3 try the hill let loose, by time i turned around he was buried in 10 ft of snow. The other rider saw him last and we started our search, found him in about 5 mins, but by time we dug down in was to late. At that time it was the worst day of my life from heaven to hell in a heart beat. But in was about to get worse. This was about 1;30 in afternoon, so down the hill we went and back to blue in 35 minutes, called cops who said that they would get rescue party together by 5 and come up. We went over to weiglies heli sking where gary got us in a chopper right away. As we were flying up cops radioed and said not to touch body as they had to recover it. When chopper landed i started to run but poilet stopped me so ron had to stay. Now i knew the recovery would not happen this day as dark was coming. At 9 that night the corinor arrived and said they would do recovery in morning. I was not happy, i felt that i let ron down by no digging him out in time then leaving him on hill. Next morning they recoved his body only to tell us that animals had defaced him and we could not see him now. The hardest thing i ever had to do was look at his wifes face when i told her i failed ron and her that day.
To this day i still think and see him when im riding. Its very hard but my therpy is talking to who ever wants to hear story or helping other from this happening to them. We all had avy training just got side tracked by great day, now i will never ever leave someone on the hill hoping cops will help.
Things will get better in time just hang in there an be positive. Some dumb asses will say that you were at fault but that does not matter its what you and your family an friends know.
Take care and get back on horse. Fellow sledder pete

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Kyle. I am glad to hear you will be alright, and I'm also glad to hear you were in good company with people nearby who helped get you off the mountain. I don't ride the hills like that anymore and had my own near death descent at Quartz back in 1995 but have learned enough to know that a Sat phone is probably the most single thing to help get you rescued and perhaps save your life that day. I have often thought that a sat phone would be a wise thing to keep in my pack and if not for me, perhaps to save someone else. Glad to hear Curtis was able to provide that and hope that many others here rethink a sat phone being added to a groups pack/s. Better than a spot, this allows real time info to be relayed to rescue teams.

Be well man and hug your family! :)

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are correct Kyle91rs, life can change direction's in seconds.. I am in the same boat as you, my sledding season came to an end before it got started. I have the pleasure of wearing a neck brace for the winter due to a deep dive in a shallow hot tub, (I wish I could say there was alcohol involved in my wreck lol) but on the bright side we both are here to talk about it!! I wish you a speedy recovery!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom