How fast can your life change?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope you get well soon. Sounds like you got lucky in one respect in having so many competent and skilled people respond so quickly, good for them, and maybe for all of us one day. It hopefully will make resting and healing a bit easier knowing that your story made all of us think and then maybe rethink before we do something we know may be a bit close to the line, may save someone else from going thru what you are. Have fun with the physio ladies, they can be a hoot.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Good luck with your recovery. Listen to those Physio freaks. They know what they're talking about. I can relate to the empty feeling of driving off a cliff as I've also done a 60 footer off my dirtbike. I was fortunate to have not been hurt but that feeling haunts me to this day. I've had countless other bad accidents and have broken many bones but that feeling of driving off a cliff still hangs with me today.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
All the best in your recovery Kyle. As I read through the posts, most have been there to some degree and can offer honest, real life support. Be strong and come back with a passion like never before. :thumbsup2:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the best with your recovery Kyle! Wishing you all the best through the Christmas season and hopefully you will be up and on that horse in the near future shredding some virgin pow again. Thanks for sharing your story.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Best of luck in your recovery Kyle, and thanks for sharing your story

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your ordeal, would be a very hard thing to relive and explain..really is amazing how fast life can change. I wish you a speedy and healthy recovery dude. Could have been so much worse.., yet may not have been able to work out any better with the situation.., props to Curtis and everyone involved in getting you off and out of the mountains alive. Take care.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When meeting some novice riders, on the amazing out of the box machines we can get these days, I often recount some of the close calls I have had. This includes twice that I have worked my way to the top of some amazing climb to find that I'm basically parked on air.

Glad you made it out in one piece.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of this ridge? I'm trying to picture how this went down to learn. Too much speed climbing, unaware of the drop on the other side?

Guys are saying they are rethinking their packs. What items are you now including after hearing this story?

Kyle, thanks for sharing. Is there any items you used or wished you had that could have helped?

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of this ridge? I'm trying to picture how this went down to learn. Too much speed climbing, unaware of the drop on the other side?

Guys are saying they are rethinking their packs. What items are you now including after hearing this story?

Kyle, thanks for sharing. Is there any items you used or wished you had that could have helped?

Go on face book and like frozen pirate snow services that's Curtis, he has a video of the hole ordeal. Kyle was not the first guy that did this on that hill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It it was a combination of a lot of things that caused me to have this accident. I am not familiar with the area at all, so I shouldn't have been blasting over the top of something I didn't know what was on the other side. I was carrying a massive amount of track speed which probably helped, if I just crept over the edge, from what I've been told, would have been an even worse rocky fall.

With regards to items being packed up the hill, well I had the usual stuff. Now that I went thru this, I need to rethink what I'll be packing as well.
small heat blanket would go a LONG ways times like this. Maybe a couple. I don't own a SAT phone, but I will next year and I will know how to use it. It was only luck that Curtis was on scene and knew how to use it. A list of emergency contact numbers for the area is another thing. I'm just thinking out loud here I haven't been able to put much research into it yet.

maybe a parachute..... Lol!

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
stay strong dude ...

start flirting with the physio ladies, it helped my recovery back in the day ...

since this is a sled website, any pic's of the sled ???

Ill post up pics as soon as I get some decent ones.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, quite the ordeal. Glad you are ok and on the mend. As far as packing extra things when sledding,I think it is important to consider carrying survival and first aid items in your backpack and not on the sled. Had you had the items on your sled,they would not have done you any good. My avy pack weighs 19 lbs with only my survival gear in it. I really dont like carrying that much weight on my 60 year old back but do anyway-just in-case of a situtation like you had. My axe,saw,tools.and accessories I carry on the sled itself. Speedy Recovery Kyle!

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing the story man.glad you are ok! my brother went through a similar situation with his leg,fell off a 2 story building and had to have pins and **** put in his leg.

chin up things will get better.

Pantherscry

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. These are the stories we all need to read. We can all get caught up in the day and forget about safety. I'm glad your doing ok, wish you a speedy recovery.

c.wilson07

Reaction score
Could someone post a list of emergency numbers a guy should have for vale and revy for that matter. I pack lots of survival and emergency stuff but after reading this I notice I have no idea who I should call if something actually happened

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your story. Hope you have a full recovery.

I have heard a story of a fellow doing a similar thing at Island Lake Lodge many springs ago...I believe his survival also revolved around having some experienced back country people nearby.

Thought i might add this video link of a very near miss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgd01qJjnR0

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your story and thoughts Kyle, wishing you a speedy recovery.

In 2002 a friend went off a 600' cliff in the Bull Moose area of Tumbler Ridge, almost the same scenario as you describe. he and another friend had separated from the rest of us on the way out, we were going to Hasler near Chetwynd and they decided to head to Tumbler instead. we never knew what happened until we were almost back in the Peace. we fueled up the trucks, turned around and headed for Tumbler. when we got there S&R said because it was dark there was nothing they could do except wait for first light. we didn't want to accept that and told them we were heading out, they threatened us with arrest by the RCMP if we tried. I never slept a wink that night thinking of my buddy laying there, possibly dead and the thought of finding a frozen body in the morning was more than I could stand. the phone call to his wife was something I hope to never have to do ever again in my life. It killed me inside hearing her sobs as I promised we would do all we could to find him.

the next morning we went out with S&R, they pretty much knew exactly where he was by our description and they split up to another peak to overlook the cliff face and spotted his sled, he saw their headlights, and fired up his sled so they would see his headlight. when they told us on the radio he was alive, it was the best feeling. the only problem was where he landed S&R said there was no way up from below, and they would have to rappel down to him. we could see a logging road beneath his position, S&R gave us the green light to try and reach him from below but said it would be near impossible to do on their sleds as they were only using small 550 fan cooled trail sleds. they set up above and began their way down to him, and we went down to the logging road and started poking our way up. it took us an hour but we made it up to him just as S&R reached him with the backboard. he was in bad shape, his face was covered in blood inside his helmet but he was pretty happy to see us and I won't lie, there were tears. they strapped him down, and we helped S&R bring him down the trail we had made coming up from the road.

he had a broken neck and back, serious head trauma (the blood was from inside of his ears), and zero memory of what happened. not even going off the top over the cliff. he had gone over the rocks on the way down, splitting his helmet almost in two. when he came to his sled was sitting a few feet away with the bars smashed down on top of the dash, so he dug himself a pit under the sled and waited. once back in town at the hospital they x-rayed him, ambulance to GP, and then flew him via fixed wing to Edmonton. he has made a full recovery since then, a few years later we went back to the same spot because he said it was something he had to do. we haven't been back to Tumbler since.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 yrs ago. i went over the bars on the dirt bike. broke 7 ribs a knee a toe. 2 collapsed lungs, broken shoulder and a good wack to the head. lucky i dont remember much. do remember riding out(5km to truck) dont know how i did it. blips of emerg, then waking up the next day. spend the next 2 months sleeping in a chair.not the funnest thing ive ever done.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
2 yrs ago. i went over the bars on the dirt bike. broke 7 ribs a knee a toe. 2 collapsed lungs, broken shoulder and a good wack to the head. lucky i dont remember much. do remember riding out(5km to truck) dont know how i did it. blips of emerg, then waking up the next day. spend the next 2 months sleeping in a chair.not the funnest thing ive ever done.

And now you put a track on it.....putz

Super happy your still here to tell you tale Kyle, here's hoping you have a speedy recovery

Top Bottom