Fernie Season 2021/2022

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooo… who knows who to call for sled recovery? One of our group ate a rock today. Had to leave the sled in Corbin as it’s a ways back and not where it would be towable without significant effort.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you end up getting out for a ride?

Yup...went out and rode south of Harvey Pass. We stayed on the roads/trails as the snow depths were mostly between 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 feet. The base was fairly good and it was good to get out and smash some pow...over the hood in a few places, but I would be skeptical of hitting any cut-blocks right now. Tore my track in a thin cut-block in the middle of last winter and don't want to repeat that scenario.

Ran into a group of guys at the McLatchie/Lodgepole intersection that had staged at Corbin and come up around from the Flathead FSR and intended on looping back on the McLatchie FSR...turned out the bridge near the McLatchie/Flathead junction was washed out and they couldn't find a way across the river and had to head back on the McLatchie FSR. Two of the guys were waiting at our trucks when we got back from riding and said they were super low on fuel...we were trying to figure out how to get them some gas from our trucks or sleds when the remaining 4 sleds showed up. No way we were going to be able to gas up six sleds that probably had 50 Km or more to get back to their trucks. They ended up riding down Lodgepole FSR towards highway 3 and one of them ran out of fuel 5 or 6 Km from the highway, we gave him a ride to the Morrissey turnoff at Highway 3 where we met the rest of his group. One of the guys from our group gave 3 of the 6 guys a ride to the Corbin staging area so they could pick up their 3 trucks. They then had to drive back to Morrissey and pick up the other 3 members of their group and the sled that was left on the road up on Morrissey...hope the 3 that were left at Morrissey didn't get to cold as it was probably 2 hours for the round trip to Corbin and back. $hit happens.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooo… who knows who to call for sled recovery? One of our group ate a rock today. Had to leave the sled in Corbin as it’s a ways back and not where it would be towable without significant effort.
Let us know how it turns out

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cold spell is on the way. Might change by then but could be colder
Screenshot_20211220_183605_com.pelmorex.WeatherEyeAndroid.jpg

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Warnings​

3:50 AM PST Wednesday 22 December 2021
Snowfall warning in effect for:

• Elk Valley

A long period of snowfall with total amounts of 20 to 30 cm is expected.

Locations: Elk Valley.

Timespan: Today through Thursday.

Snowfall accumulations: 30 cm near Fernie.

Remarks: An approaching Pacific system is bringing snow to the B.C. Interior. Light snow began last night and will intensify this evening. Snow will become light late Thursday. Although most of Elk Valley should expect 10 to 20 cm of snow, Fernie will receive close to 30 cm.

Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve. Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow.

wideman12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got out on Monday.
Good conditions, Uncovered a few stumps with ski taps. Enough to make me leave certain areas and play it safe. I’m guessing it’s one good snow fall from full game on?

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone actually out riding? Even if I was home I wouldn't be going out. Not worth the risk anymore.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a friend loose a diamond drive in the rolling hills @ -23 . Taught everyone a lesson on how cold it really is out there .

Flick

Reaction score
Yea it's very cold. We canceled a trip to Blue River in the name of safety. How were the snow conditions for you? Hoping to get out this weekend in Fernie.
Had a friend loose a diamond drive in the rolling hills @ -23 . Taught everyone a lesson on how cold it really is out there .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Blew a motor in the Rolling Hills on a new Doo, and by the time we did the trouble shooting, we were quite cold. It was -27 and even though we were sheltered in deep trees, the cold was penetrating. We got the blood flowing when we had to hand bomb the sled up an incline because we couldn't get the snow to pack enough to pull up hill with another sled. Good thing there were 5 of us in the group. Got to that lovely cabin and it didn't take long to get the fire stoked up and get warm for the ride down.

That's when I changed the temperature parameters for my riding limits.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Was out on Friday. It was -15 at the tin shack. Coldest was Doug Dean down the McEvoy to the pipeline by feel. As I get older I don't find it fun in the cold any more.

As for the snow it was awesome early conditions. Once this sets up and gets another storm cycle on it should make a good base. Be interesting to see what that rain crust does over the winter though.

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you unload at the tin shack and go down the pipeline from there? No logging in there this year?

Top Bottom