Fernie Season 2021/2022

ryanb40

Reaction score
We rode in from morressy yesterday after hearing about good conditions. It was pretty decent. Normal patchy spots up the pipeline, in the trees was pretty good everywhere.

I ended up getting the flu while I was up there, then broke the axle between the top idlers on the t-motion. A group of 4 guys from Cranbrook on their way out from doing a track swap were able to afro engineer it back together using a socket to sleeve the inside of the tube, and cutting the shaft down with a file. These guys restored my faith in the sledding community. The last couple years have been pretty brutal for guys not lending a hand when they see you in need. These guys went over and above to help us get out. I couldn't imagine a worse situation to be in for myself. Very grateful for them stopping and being willing to help.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode in from morressy yesterday after hearing about good conditions. It was pretty decent. Normal patchy spots up the pipeline, in the trees was pretty good everywhere.

I ended up getting the flu while I was up there, then broke the axle between the top idlers on the t-motion. A group of 4 guys from Cranbrook on their way out from doing a track swap were able to afro engineer it back together using a socket to sleeve the inside of the tube, and cutting the shaft down with a file. These guys restored my faith in the sledding community. The last couple years have been pretty brutal for guys not lending a hand when they see you in need. These guys went over and above to help us get out. I couldn't imagine a worse situation to be in for myself. Very grateful for them stopping and being willing to help.

They get the bridge repaired? Parking in usual spot?

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
Can you unload at the tin shack and go down the pipeline from there? No logging in there this year?
We weren't sure. If it was busy we would have went to Corbin. There was a skidder parked at the yellow gates so we went to Tin Shack. It had been plowed but not for a few days. There was snow on the road and guys were parked on the pullout and at the shack. Drove the truck up to the corals and there was a D6 there and that's where we parked, good thing. Just past the corals where the road forks they plowed through the left but the right to the pipeline was not plowed. But like usual it's getting rough already so I'll go to Morrissey next time.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Corbin today, it was cold but not that bad, -16 up high, -20 at the truck. Better than the -35 when I left the house.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Join us for a memorial ride in honor of past president Bob Arnott. We will be leaving the Morrissey staging area at 10am and riding as a group to the Rolling Hills cabin for a complimentary BBQ lunch and social.

The ride began in 2017 as a tribute in honor of an old friend and strong leader in the Fernie snowmobile community. Thank you to Bob's long time riding partner and FSA Volunteer Randy Zahn for leading the ride again this season.

If your out riding in the area drop in and say hi and get a free smokie, or hotdog chips and pop. Would like to met a few snow and mud peeps if your around

ryanb40

Reaction score
They built a road around the bridge and a snow bridge across the creek. Parking is all the same still.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone out today is nuts IMO
Screenshot_20220101_073955_com.pelmorex.WeatherEyeAndroid.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to Calgary the morning of the 27th. Temps on vehicle read -41. Seen sledders heading south to Fernie with sleds on open trailers and decks. Was thinking they would never get them started when they got there. Windchill on a deck at speed was probably -55

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see the highway from my house in Sparwood and have seen at least 5 trucks with sleds going by heading to Fernie.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-28 in Sparwood, -25 in Fernie and -23 in Cranbrook right now. A friend is just heading out to take some newbies riding. Hope I don’t get a message from his inReach requesting assistance.

To cold for me today.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to Calgary the morning of the 27th. Temps on vehicle read -41. Seen sledders heading south to Fernie with sleds on open trailers and decks. Was thinking they would never get them started when they got there. Windchill on a deck at speed was probably -55

Years ago I fired up my M1000 on the sled deck while we were in Revelstoke at my friends…let it warm up to full temp. We then drove 50 minutes North without the cover on my sled as I figured the full warm cycle in Revy would be good for a relatively easy pull start at the staging area.

When I pulled my sled over to start it I just about yanked my arm out of my socket…the motor didn’t budge at all. Had to hand balm my sled off the deck and put a 4” aluminum flex tube from the truck exhaust to under the hood of my sled.

Wind chill definitely affects the ability to hand start a motor. When it’s relatively cold out, I now use my cover for anything more than a 10-15 minute drive.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
-28 in Sparwood, -25 in Fernie and -23 in Cranbrook right now. A friend is just heading out to take some newbies riding. Hope I don’t get a message from his inReach requesting assistance.

To cold for me today.
If your out tomorrow come up to the rolling hills cabin any time after 11am.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago I fired up my M1000 on the sled deck while we were in Revelstoke at my friends…let it warm up to full temp. We then drove 50 minutes North without the cover on my sled as I figured the full warm cycle in Revy would be good for a relatively easy pull start at the staging area.

When I pulled my sled over to start it I just about yanked my arm out of my socket…the motor didn’t budge at all. Had to hand balm my sled off the deck and put a 4” aluminum flex tube from the truck exhaust to under the hood of my sled.

Wind chill definitely affects the ability to hand start a motor. When it’s relatively cold out, I now use my cover for anything more than a 10-15 minute drive.

I absolutely loved my M1000, but it always took two of us to start that beast when it was cold. :D :D :D

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski hill shows 30cm more than Revy. Cautiously optimistic that is a real number

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

To cold for me today.
Yeah, many people don't realize that at these temps, if the smallest thing goes wrong, you are immediately in a survival situation when its this cold. Getting rescued is even harder because S&R may not put people in danger to come get you (if they can get their own equipment to start).

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski hill shows 30cm more than Revy. Cautiously optimistic that is a real number
Quite possible Ken, Fernie is known to get the goods (my favourite hill on a powder day) i want to ride down their this year so I hope so.

We skied at Revy yesterday and the snowpack is definitely down from normal. I would say almost a meter less than it usually is by now.

Top Bottom