fellow sledders

JDmotorhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always help people. 2 or 3 people can get a sled out usually in a couple minutes versus one guy taking 45 getting a path stomped out and a good run at it. Seriously folks if you see a person by himself and he needs help how much skin off your back is it to go and pull a ski for a few minutes. Often you get to chatting and you find out you have a fair amount in common or know the same people.

Having said that when someone is stuck on a hill or in a dangerous spot he is on his own.

Man oh man I can't believe how callous the comments are on here. Either I am a really really nice guy you or some of the people on here are just aholes.

Crazy in my mind that a group pf guys would watch a person getting himslef out and not go help. Of course I am a small town guy and maybe I am just NAIVE.

Anyway if you see a guy on a yellow REV in the Kootenays offering to help you out of the goodness of his heart it is probably me. If you see a guy on a yellow REV stuck up to his handlebars in need of a pull maybe help me out cause I would do the same.

Just sayin..........

I agree 110% man, I help everyone and anyone, with that I hope it folds back on me. It was only this year I was hunting in the middle of no where and we ran into some tire trouble, only to find out that the dealer that I bought the truck from put the wrong wheel wrench and jack in the kit that came with the truck. This old guy stopped and helped me out and when I asked him what I could give him or do for him he just said " make sure you don't pass the next guy you see that needs help" and that was enough for him. I think this guy had it right............just saying

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was the deepest I've helped dig out someone, no names mentioned but it was a group from Edmonton, leader first name started with M last letter was o, on turkey weekend, at a popular gas drop on boulder. Took roughtly 25ish guys to get it out of the creek hole.

Revy1126060006.jpg

Last edited:

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my first year riding and I've already been told by lots of people that I'll spend alot of time this year digging and I'm fine with that. If people wanna help I'll be very grateful but I don't expect it. Its a lesson to learn the hard way. It sucks getting stuck so I have to learn not to do it if I don't wanna be digging. When I started quadding I learned to get myself out of stucks all the time. I don't like holding the group up and I don't like losing seat time.

Treedragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have to say ive never been so p.o.d and disappointed as i was last weekend.as me and a good buddy were riding with another small group, which i will not mention i got stuck and as some of you who were in vale. last weekend you know what the chances of that were. as im trying to dig myself out, the other non mentioned group sat and watched for about 10 minuts and then dicided to leave without any help what so ever. i was under the impression that we were all supposed to look out for one another but i guess some people dont have a shred of moral fiber in their body and this almost seems to be a growing trend. [oh, well you got stuck so dig yourself out] im not saying you should rely on people to get you out of a situation all the time but at least stop and ask some one if they need your help. i think someone should right a book on sled edicate.:twocents:
I'm sorry but when we asked if you guys wanted to come break trail in to danger basin you guy's said no we want to go back into avalanche alley(Which IMO is retarded) ,so i don't believe we were riding together. As for not helping did you forget that you were stuck at the cabin which we helped get you unstuck about 2 minutes before you were stuck again. You would think after being stuck so much at least you would be good at getting unstuck. The reason i didn't help you is because you put no effort in to getting yourself unstuck. Hell you just walked away from the first stuck and blamed the new cat and told your buddy to try his luck, but you got stuck again on the old cat 2 minutes down the trail then your buddy got stuck going down hill. Then after getting out of that hole I heard you made it 20 feet and was stuck again. Sorry you feel like we abandoned you guys, but there was two of you and it was an easy out just roll the sled but you and your buddy put more effort in arguing than shoveling. Sorry i like sledding and getting stuck every 5 minutes and listening to the married couple fight gets old fast!!!!!!

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we usually help fellow sledders out or at least ask if they need a hand. and then there is the couple guys that came out with us and were getting stuck none stop. it gets a little tiring when there making stupid mistakes, and the final straw was when one of the guys in the group got tangled in a tree at the end of the day. it took 3 of us about 30-40 min to get him out while the other fella that we were digging out all day watched. the next day he was on his own and we won't bring him back with us.

Chunk

Reaction score
Can't say I've ever heard someone start a thread complaining that they're not being babysat enough by fellow sledders. Stop whining and keep riding.
i have to say ive never been so p.o.d and disappointed as i was last weekend.as me and a good buddy were riding with another small group, which i will not mention i got stuck and as some of you who were in vale. last weekend you know what the chances of that were. as im trying to dig myself out, the other non mentioned group sat and watched for about 10 minuts and then dicided to leave without any help what so ever. i was under the impression that we were all supposed to look out for one another but i guess some people dont have a shred of moral fiber in their body and this almost seems to be a growing trend. [oh, well you got stuck so dig yourself out] im not saying you should rely on people to get you out of a situation all the time but at least stop and ask some one if they need your help. i think someone should right a book on sled edicate.:twocents:

cjay

Reaction score
YOU KNOW WHEN I FIRST STARTED SLEDDING IT WAS THE PEOPLE THAT MADE THE SPORT WORTH WILD
i can t say the same today , it seems like a larger and growing number of people in this sport could give a turd about anyone but themselves
it s as if if your not at their level you shouldn t be allowed on the mtn -------------- well poo on you that think this way
when we as sledders get together we all laugh and joke about the one that got really stuck and take pictures and poke fun ------ but its just that its good natured
but to simply not even consider aiding someone that could clearly use the help is ignorant ---- we all take risks and we all attempt new things but i for one am always willing to offer assistance
sometimes the individual dosen t need help and sometimes they re very apprectiative . i think its the knowing people are willing to aid others that encourages newbies to try new things and we were all newbies at one point and we ve all needed help getting unstuck or with a broken belt or even a break down

FOR YOU that will stop and offer assistance .............. i thank you for myself and all those people that are out there trying something new
its people that have (been there done that) that inspire me and encourage others to (give it a try) we re right here to help

IN conclusion we all need to be cosiderate those less fortunate ........... so what give a guy or gal a helping hand they ll remember when the time comes to help someone else

cheers

play safe

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So all I got out of this is someone was stuck every 5 minutes and is upset that another group only helped him out a few times and then got tired of all his stupidity and decided to continue riding. I'm all for helping out fellow riders, which I have done. I have also had fellow sledders help me out. But it gets to a point when you have to let them learn the hard way.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snowmobile=stuck
good nature=unstuck
passing someone stuck=uncool
uncool=you being passed next
you being passed=frozen nuts
frozen nuts=no action
no action= moms basement at 45
45=45cal
45 cal= havent you figured it out yet?!?!
blammo!= obit and the memory that guy never helped me out!

HELP WHO NEEDS HELP!!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hasn't anybody had one of those days that no matter what you do, you get stuck every 5ft?! I know I have. Last yr in Creston I got stuck, literally every 5 ft. Every stuck, I got more and more frustrated. The more frustrated I got, the more stupid moves I did and the more stucks happened. Until I blew it, I'm fairly certain I knocked snow off the trees from the profanity being spewed out of my mouth. I told everyone to just go ahead and I'd stay where I was but they wouldn't let me give up which was nice.

Was I a pain in the @$$ that day to the people I rode with? I'm sure I was. Did I dig myself out sometimes? Yep. Bottom line is, everyone has a bad day, yes it can be annoying. But you get what you give on some occasions. There are such things as "no friend zones" though. Had a few buddies go to do something, and they know no one is going to be helping them if they get stuck because of the hill they are on.

I dunno, I can see both view points for sure. I think it's nice to help your fellow sledder. But I'm sure not going to b!tch about it if I get stuck and no one comes to help. It'll just take me a LOT longer to get out myself. :)

It also might give me a slight advantage having one of these () and a set of these (.)(.) :D

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I for one will offer assistance - even if there is a few people in the group. I usually ride with one, maybe two riders other then myself, and have dropped into questionable terrain to help out a fellow rider not in the group - whether they are stuck, broke, or require first aid. I will note that things have changed a lot in the last ten years, as I've seen firsthand groups of 15-20 riders just ride on by when someone is broke down on the trail, or they are stuck in a treewell. That is unacceptable from an safety standpoint. My advice is to rely on yourself, and that includes packing appropriate survival gear, and riding with those who are willing to lend a hand to those in need. As for the newbies to the mountains - do some research on the area you are planning to ride, and start with a "family friendly" area to build your skills rather then trying to be a hero the first season, or enlist the services of a guide. Both would be ideal.

DV8ED Digger

Reaction score
Hasn't anybody had one of those days that no matter what you do, you get stuck every 5ft?! I know I have. Last yr in Creston I got stuck, literally every 5 ft. Every stuck, I got more and more frustrated. The more frustrated I got, the more stupid moves I did and the more stucks happened. Until I blew it, I'm fairly certain I knocked snow off the trees from the profanity being spewed out of my mouth. I told everyone to just go ahead and I'd stay where I was but they wouldn't let me give up which was nice.

Was I a pain in the @$$ that day to the people I rode with? I'm sure I was. Did I dig myself out sometimes? Yep. Bottom line is, everyone has a bad day, yes it can be annoying. But you get what you give on some occasions. There are such things as "no friend zones" though. Had a few buddies go to do something, and they know no one is going to be helping them if they get stuck because of the hill they are on.

I dunno, I can see both view points for sure. I think it's nice to help your fellow sledder. But I'm sure not going to b!tch about it if I get stuck and no one comes to help. It'll just take me a LOT longer to get out myself. :)

It also might give me a slight advantage having one of these () and a set of these (.)(.) :D

Rowdy... you F'n ROCK!!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I for one will offer assistance - even if there is a few people in the group. I usually ride with one, maybe two riders other then myself, and have dropped into questionable terrain to help out a fellow rider not in the group - whether they are stuck, broke, or require first aid. I will note that things have changed a lot in the last ten years, as I've seen firsthand groups of 15-20 riders just ride on by when someone is broke down on the trail, or they are stuck in a treewell. That is unacceptable from an safety standpoint. My advice is to rely on yourself, and that includes packing appropriate survival gear, and riding with those who are willing to lend a hand to those in need. As for the newbies to the mountains - do some research on the area you are planning to ride, and start with a "family friendly" area to build your skills rather then trying to be a hero the first season, or enlist the services of a guide. Both would be ideal.

Well said. The difference I see in people like the original poster is that there are people that will help, and there are people that have the expectation that other's must help. Fawk that. Most sledders follow the unwritten code that you help your fellow riders - but this generosity only goes so far and lots of people out there take advantage of it. Don't be a lazy ass - it might take some ingenuity or ....god forbid........manual labour....to get your sled unstuck - usually a bit of both is required. The only true "code" is self-reliance. Sledding is typically a solitary sport - you have to accept that you might get stuck and you might have to dig your ass out. If your friends come along and help you, great, but it should never be "expected" that they or other people do.

Back in the day we had 1978 440 TnT's and it took us all day to go up the hill 8 kms, you got stuck and you learned how to get yourself unstruck. If you dropped over a bank or you got stuck in a drainage - you packed branches and logs under your machine to support it, or you shovelled a highway out of the creek bed, etc, whatever you had to do. If it took you all day to get unstuck - well...so be it. This was how you learned what not to do and how to get yourself unstuck - you didn't wait for some guy with more HP and a longer track to put his sled and life in danger, to drop into the drainage and pack a trail out for your stupid ass........If you don't want to get stuck, stay on the fawkin' trail. How do you think that all these guys that manage to get ourselves unstuck learned???? We got stuck and then we got unstuck - by ourself. Never ever rely on anyone else to help you in the backcountry - if they do it's a bonus but should never be an expectation.

Too many people expected to help now, and too many parking lot hero's now that head up the hill with a $10K machine and think they know everything. The machines these days are so capable, they can get people into trouble spots very quickly. I will help guys in my riding group all day long, because they are in my group. For strangers - if someone is broke and they need a hand getting out, I will tow them, etc. but I won't put myself, riding buddies or my sled in danger for someone else's stupid actions. I will describe to people how I would do it, but I won't go there unless it is safe and they really need help. I am the first guy to stop and help others and to make sure that they are OK, but if I've already dug your ass out and you are now stuck in a safe spot...you get to fly solo for this one. I welcome all new riders to the sport and will glady take people up the hill for their first time, because at that point my "expectation" is that they will be stuck all day and I will be ready to spend the day digging them out - I don't count it as a lost riding day - any bad day on the hill is still better than the office. All that's needed is clear expectations of what you ask of your riding partners but there should never be expectations that strangers will help.

Oh and if you go out in the early part of the season when the hills are getting pounded with big snow dumps, and no base, and you don't think you are going to be stuck - you're fawking stupid.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Modman.

As a heads up this Modman will take you to the hills. (thanks again) help show you the ropes and help you out when you get stuck and you are in his group. But like he said. DON"T expect people to help you all the time.

Maybe the people that drove buy felt you were in a dangerous spot. Wondering why none of your buddys helped out or even noticed you were missing.(something to think about on your next ride) Still a BAD THING TO LEAVE ONE RIDER ON THE HILL. Shouldn't of happened.

If you find yourself uncompatable with the people you rode with GO find some different ones. Riding with people that you don't click with or feel safe with is a bad thing. Tell people your expectations BUT BE Honest with them and YOURSELF about your abilities. This makes for a good riding experience.

hope this helps

Treedragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Modman.

As a heads up this Modman will take you to the hills. (thanks again) help show you the ropes and help you out when you get stuck and you are in his group. But like he said. DON"T expect people to help you all the time.

Maybe the people that drove buy felt you were in a dangerous spot. Wondering why none of your buddys helped out or even noticed you were missing.(something to think about on your next ride) Still a BAD THING TO LEAVE ONE RIDER ON THE HILL. Shouldn't of happened.

If you find yourself uncompatable with the people you rode with GO find some different ones. Riding with people that you don't click with or feel safe with is a bad thing. Tell people your expectations BUT BE Honest with them and YOURSELF about your abilities. This makes for a good riding experience.

hope this helps
No he was not in a dangerous spot and he was with his good buddy that was stuck right beside him. Like i said if he put some effort in to getting out i would have helped, but if you stand there and look at the guy's 20 feet from you with out at least stomping down a path to roll your sled out you will never learn. Even riding with buddy's I don't expect them to stop unless I'm in trouble like in a creek or tree well. I've brought many of newbies to the mountains,and many are now addicted to this wicked sport. I've dug my fare share out and will continue to do so. Sorry again for not being at his beck and call my bad!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to think that you gather as much "good" karma as you can so when your the one in need, it'll be there
As I pulled into the Allen parking lot last Saturday there was a truck and trailer stuck. I pulled up and asked if he had a tow strap, he said yes and I told him to hook me up and i would try to pull him out. It didn't take much effort and he got straightened out and I was unloading my own sleds a few minutes later. It was then that I noticed there were actually about 20 other vehicles in the lot with people in or around them. As I was just closing up my truck the guy I had helped comes over and gives me two trail passes, for my wife and I and he won't hear of me not taking them. Thanks a lot it was very appreciated but not necessary. Later in the day I got myself into a pretty bad stuck that I was able to get out myself ( with about a hour or more of digging) and without asking a couple of guys came and helped me out
Thanks powdrhor and your buddy Lyndon.

Last edited:

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the funny thing is most time someone is stuck all they need is a quick tug on the ski and your up gone whats the big deal we all get stuck and if you dont your not riding hard enough ... if you go by someone help them out whats 5 min or less of your time?? but if your stuck dont sit and watch till someone comes to help get your shovel and start diggin so for when someone does stop all it is, is a hard tug and away you both go

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
" i guess some people dont have a shred of moral fiber in their body and this almost seems to be a growing trend." powerclaw . the growing trend to day poweclaw is people not takeing responsibility for their actions ,hopeing some one else will take care of them when they get into the shiiit . A stuck is way diff. then a break down ! Just chalk your stuck up as a learning lesson on how to ride better in the snow conditions you where in ! When you start you Sled edicate book ,1st chapter should be on not Whining !

Well said, I in fact am embarrassed when I need help to get out and I will shovel for 2 hours if I need to get myself out, yes it's been done many times lol. If you are in serious trouble I will stop and help but people need to think as well, there is more to getting your sled unstuck then brute force, 5 or 10 minutes with a shovel can go a LONG way.

Top Bottom