2019 Arctic Cat mountain cat or 2020 Alpha ?

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be looking for an air bubble, my 2020 Alpha runs around 140 -145 on the trail depending on conditions. As previously stated scratchers down no matter the trail conditions. Last spring we rode a fairly icy trail with my snow flap cut to about 4 inches my Alpha was the coolest sled in our group, worst was the 2022 Doo turbo. Point being the AC cooling system works very good. The T-stat were an issue in the 18-19 MY I haven't heard of any 2020 or newer having issues also the part number changed up in 20 from the 19.
My was running in the mid 140s in the deep powder which I find odd.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be looking for an air bubble, my 2020 Alpha runs around 140 -145 on the trail depending on conditions. As previously stated scratchers down no matter the trail conditions. Last spring we rode a fairly icy trail with my snow flap cut to about 4 inches my Alpha was the coolest sled in our group, worst was the 2022 Doo turbo. Point being the AC cooling system works very good. The T-stat were an issue in the 18-19 MY I haven't heard of any 2020 or newer having issues also the part number changed up in 20 from the 19.
This. I was fighting high temps on mine and finally just threw a T-stat in it and it runs normal temps again.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This. I was fighting high temps on mine and finally just threw a T-stat in it and it runs normal temps again.
I think i may try the same. sled only has 200 kms so figured i shouldnt be seeing this

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have heard that now from a few people that the t-stat fails prematurely on the odd sled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after talking to someone who is familar with this big shark kit with tune, seems like its ok to be running the temp where its at, also I will try and run a snowflap on next ride up and see if that helps for trail riding.
Also if the thermostat was failing or the water pump impellar was spinning on shaft I would think that the machine would just overheat eventually but it never did when I was in the powder, it just ran consistently in the 140s.
So I cant see that being the issue.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
89D671A7-10D1-4916-BAC0-26FA65C33CAE.jpeg

I’m running these on the skis on trails. Makes a big difference.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 264511
I’m running these on the skis on trails. Makes a big difference.
Damn things tried to kill me multiple times coming off the deck. In the scrap pile they went. I climbed my flapless 165 on whooped out icy trails and never had a heat issue. Wife was always hitting 70s though. Just got in the habit of switching sleds at 68 just like in the bedroom.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
After riding an alpha since january 2019. I would never own an alpha again. The track is the only reason why it works so well. Not the rail. Constant repairs on the rail. tracks delaminating. rods breaking.

If i could put an alpha track under a twin rail skid thats by far the best thing cat could do.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After riding an alpha since january 2019. I would never own an alpha again. The track is the only reason why it works so well. Not the rail. Constant repairs on the rail. tracks delaminating. rods breaking.

If i could put an alpha track under a twin rail skid thats by far the best thing cat could do.
Couldn't agree more

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 19 has been good to me overall. A few warrantied clutches. The track is intact but showing its age at 7300km. Squeeked a hole at 7000km and got a new motor under warranty. Better track record than my previous Poos.

They aren't the lightest or most powerful but they put the power to the snow. Even on icy trail junk in the spring they claw better without being spooky on the downhills.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 19 has been good to me overall. A few warrantied clutches. The track is intact but showing its age at 7300km. Squeeked a hole at 7000km and got a new motor under warranty. Better track record than my previous Poos.

They aren't the lightest or most powerful but they put the power to the snow. Even on icy trail junk in the spring they claw better without being spooky on the downhills.
Typically, what are the others in your group riding?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How many miles on Sask flats did you put on it?

We ride with 4 Alpha's, not a lot, but only 1 damaged rail from landing on a stump. Zero track damage on any of them. On the doo's, you couldn't ride behind them there was so many lugs coming at cha!

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We ride with 4 Alpha's, not a lot, but only 1 damaged rail from landing on a stump. Zero track damage on any of them. On the doo's, you couldn't ride behind them there was so many lugs coming at cha!
what years and how many kms on them roughly ?

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what years and how many kms on them roughly ?
2019's and 2020's. Mine is the highest at 3300km, 2 others are lower in the mid-2000km range and the last 19 is a demo so only gets ridden a few times a year so is sitting at 1400km.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

I rode my alpha down the ditch of my driveway on the farm two times to make sure it worked and didn't give any issues before heading west.

Rear wheels blew off in a drainage and shot forward stabbing the track.
sliders getting torn up from running track tension at factory specs and the clips ripping down the middle down to rail
front arm breaking
front skid shock bolt stripping out
rear swing arm scissor breaking
rear swing arm bolts scissor bolts coming out after replacing scissor under warranty and using red loctite
top cap on the rail is now showing the glue is failing

track had half of the rods broken in it within first two years

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode my alpha down the ditch of my driveway on the farm two times to make sure it worked and didn't give any issues before heading west.

Rear wheels blew off in a drainage and shot forward stabbing the track.
sliders getting torn up from running track tension at factory specs and the clips ripping down the middle down to rail
front arm breaking
front skid shock bolt stripping out
rear swing arm scissor breaking
rear swing arm bolts scissor bolts coming out after replacing scissor under warranty and using red loctite
top cap on the rail is now showing the glue is failing

track had half of the rods broken in it within first two years
Well do u jump the alpha ? Just curious because thats alot of issues. Also I know sleds can be jumped but maybe the alpha is one sled that cant be jumped because of the single beam rail.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well do u jump the alpha ? Just curious because thats alot of issues. Also I know sleds can be jumped but maybe the alpha is one sled that cant be jumped because of the single beam rail.
Only 2 possible answers. He had a lemon, which of course sucks, or he hits lots of stuff and wouldn't matter what brand he was on. Stuff was going to break.

Last edited:
Top Bottom