Enclosed trailer Must have options

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put this up here in hopes of getting more feed back due to higher traffic.
I am getting quotes on a new 22 ft deck over enclosed trailer and would like to hear what u absolutely must have if you were ordering a new one . Pulled lots of trailers but never owned an enclosed and would like to get it right the first time. I am still Waffling between steel and aluminum obviously because of price.
I have made a list of the things I think are important and would need built in at the factory. Others could be added later I guess. Feedback from owners or anyone that knows what works is appreciated
1--gas doors ? Have heard most guys don't use them, gas station hoses are too short
2--forced air furnace or Radiant propane heater? I am ordering it insulated and want to winter camp as well. Have heard the forced air don't heat well and don't "dry" your stuff. And the fan drains the battery in no time if using constantly. The Option I have here is a 35000 btu. Anyone use a roof mounted radiant propane heater ? Was thinking of this as an alternative
3--LED lights. The more the better ?
What about outside flood lights ?
4-- 2 , 4 ft 2 door cabinets. get factory installed or should I save some $ and do it myself.
5-- wall mount spare tire holder. Or carry in. truck box
6--crank out roof vent
7--benches. 2 total. One either side. What works best a 50" long seat that hangs length wise against the wall or one that folds out away from the wall into the center of the trailer ?

What am I missing ?
Any feed back
Is appreciated.
Cheers !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forced air furnace is the only way to go for heat. I have never seen a radiant heater in a trailer so cant comment on that. You mentioned using it for camping... I put a awning on mine. Use it all the time.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forced air furnace is the only way to go for heat. I have never seen a radiant heater in a trailer so cant comment on that. You mentioned using it for camping... I put a awning on mine. Use it all the time.

The awning is a good one for sure thanks
Interestingly it was a dealer who mentioned going with a radiant heater. He couldn't provide it and I would have to source and install it my self. No fan interests me. So will the battery last an entire night running the furnace ? Do guys leave the furnace running while on the hill all day ?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a white one over black. I loved my black trailer for one day. It looked like crap after that. My current white one looks great and will for years to come.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the time the time, unless you are out somewhere else, you can find a plug in for the trailer at the hotel.
Buddy of mine keeps the trailer cold, and only heats when the sleds need melting. If the temps are warmer, above zero, it is good to have some side wall air vents to ram air inside. That dries the trailer well.
Fold down couch/bed is a nice touch, DVD player is also good for a trailer party..\\ Forced air with some decent venting is essential.

The awning is a good one for sure thanks
Interestingly it was a dealer who mentioned going with a radiant heater. He couldn't provide it and I would have to source and install it my self. No fan interests me. So will the battery last an entire night running the furnace ? Do guys leave the furnace running while on the hill all day ?

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forced air hands down!!! I tied one of the outlets to a boot dryer setup, glove dryer and helmet dryer. Set up 4 quick set up clothes lines to hang bibs and coats. I run the heater for about 3 hrs after getting off the hill and everything is crisp dry. Turn on heater when leavin hotel and gear is toasty warm by time you get to parking lot.

Not having to pack gear in and out of the hotel is awesome!!!

Last edited:

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a white one over black. I loved my black trailer for one day. It looked like crap after that. My current white one looks great and will for years to come.

That was close. Was looking at a 2 tone black and red combo. White is more boring but sure does look better longer tks

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most of the time the time, unless you are out somewhere else, you can find a plug in for the trailer at the hotel.
Buddy of mine keeps the trailer cold, and only heats when the sleds need melting. If the temps are warmer, above zero, it is good to have some side wall air vents to ram air inside. That dries the trailer well.
Fold down couch/bed is a nice touch, DVD player is also good for a trailer party..\\ Forced air with some decent venting is essential.

Ok good info. Fold down bed sounds cool. A lot of my camping would be remote. No plug ins. So. Sounds like a generator is needed to prevent drawing down the battery.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forced air hands down!!! I tied one of the outlets to a boot dryer setup, glove dryer and helmet dryer. Set up 4 quick set up clothes lines to hang bibs and coats. I run the heater for about 3 hrs after getting off the hill and everything is crisp dry. Turn on heater when leavin hotel and gear is toasty warm by time you get to parking lot.

Not having to pack gear in and out of the hotel is awesome!!!

Good to hear the forced air is working for guys. Do u know how many BTU your furnace is running ?
And this may be a dumb question but does the battery get re-charged as you drive ? Have heard of guys having to install a battery tender to trickle charge. I am used to the RV way of charging by just plugging into 120

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a 1000watt yamaha generator that is not much bigger than a toaster. It will run heater, 32" flat screen, stereo and crazy amount of lights all at once.I also have a 1000watt inverter in the truck but it will draw down truck batteries in a night.
Ok good info. Fold down bed sounds cool. A lot of my camping would be remote. No plug ins. So. Sounds like a generator is needed to prevent drawing down the battery.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Liability wise, some fuel stations will not allow you to fill through the small fuel doors so why have them, your choice. I was told by an attendant that if something unplanned happened inside the trailer that could cause a fuel spill, an explosion or fire they would not know until it could be to late to possibly help stop a bad situation. Figure out what size axles you need, then order with the next size bigger, not just for weight, you get bigger brakes, wheels,tires, and main frame. 35000 btu furnace should do, propane tank mounted under within frame if no room on the hitch and a BBQ outlet. V-nose with no drive-out door in the front,everything has reverse. Front with full width cabinets upper and lower, more than enough cabinet. Can get spare tire built into the floor, access from inside, only downside is if you have a flat you have to move sleds off of the door. 2 flow through vents and 1 motorized roof vent if you go with the taller walls. Add more LED lights from what is standard and some under the upper cabinets. Only tinted windows. 36 inch or wider entrance door. Mount a 4500lb winch on the floor just inside the front cabinet to drag dead toys inside. 2 hi power LED work lights on passenger side. Order with backing plates in the wall for a future awning. Pre-wired for air conditioning. 2 lenghtwise benches across from each other at the front, you can only sit 2 people on each style anyway so just personal preference. Carry 4 lawn chairs in the lower cabinets if its a nice winter day outside. 2-6volt batteries. Solar on the roof. 4 ft high checker plate V-nose protection. Electric front jack. Backup lights. It all hinges on what your budget will allow. Good luck!

Last edited:

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a 1000watt yamaha generator that is not much bigger than a toaster. It will run heater, 32" flat screen, stereo and crazy amount of lights all at once.I also have a 1000watt inverter in the truck but it will draw down truck batteries in a night.

That is perfect, a small gen will run all that stuff. So would u say your furnace would keep your trailer warm enough to sleep in. If it is insulated ?

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for sure. furnace runs fairly often but I can hold over +25 inside when -20 outside and my floor is uninsulated. Forgot furnace on one night and had thermostat cranked.. was hot as hell n there.
That is perfect, a small gen will run all that stuff. So would u say your furnace would keep your trailer warm enough to sleep in. If it is insulated ?

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Liability wise, some fuel stations will not allow you to fill through the small fuel doors so why have them, your choice. I was told by an attendant that if something unplanned happened inside the trailer that could cause a fuel spill, an explosion or fire they would not know until it could be to late to possibly help stop a bad situation. Figure out what size axles you need, then order with the next size bigger, not just for weight, you get bigger brakes, wheels,tires, and main frame. 35000 btu furnace should do, propane tank mounted under within frame if no room on the hitch and a BBQ outlet. V-nose with no drive-out door in the front,everything has reverse. Front with full width cabinets upper and lower, more than enough cabinet. Can get spare tire built into the floor, access from inside, only downside is if you have a flat you have to move sleds off of the door. 2 flow through vents and 1 motorized roof vent if you go with the taller walls. Add more LED lights from what is standard and some under the upper cabinets. Only tinted windows. 36 inch or wider entrance door. Mount a 4500lb winch on the floor just inside the front cabinet to drag dead toys inside. 2 hi power LED work lights on passenger side. Order with backing plates in the wall for a future awning. Pre-wired for air conditioning. 2 lenghtwise benches across from each other at the front, you can only sit 2 people on each style anyway so just personal preference. Carry 4 lawn chairs in the lower cabinets if its a nice winter day outside. 2-6volt batteries. Solar on the roof. 4 ft high checker plate V-nose protection. Electric front jack. Backup lights. It all hinges on what your budget will allow. Good luck!

Still have some old sleds that only go one direction so will need that front door. Lol. The dual batteries is a good idea for sure as well. Tons of great ideas here.
Much Appreciated

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 22+4' steel frame high deck. Sold it and went with a 24+4' aluminum mid deck with 5000lb axles, and escape door, in case I wanted to haul my car. Went with a 6,6"ceiling in case I bought a side by side. forced air furnace, boot and glove dryer, 3 cabinets and one is heated for helmets. LED puck lights, 120v fluorescence, bench to sit on, fold down work table, 120 outlet, stereo.
2 40lbs. propane tanks on the front.

Wish I would have put the tracking for tying down sleds and not just the D rings.
Wish I would have went with the domed roof so it sheds water, and not just the rolled corners on the roof.
Wish I installed a lower cabinet in the v-nose so I could have a kick ass bar.
Need a t.V and dvd player.
Never ran into an issue fuelling from the two fuel doors, and wouldn't go with out. And never been told I can't fuel from those.
Really like the kick ass 5th wheel burant trailer with the two furnaces, and floor heat.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite a few trailer have the forced air heater mounted in a dumb spot. If you ever wanted to dual purpose the trailer, because of the mounting location you can't get a side by side in. Roll bar hits......

Always more lighting, inside and out, i have huge flood lights all around outside of mine because mine is a triple threat, sled, sxs, and goose hunter. I can light up a quarter section to set up decoys all night or skin a deer with shades on lol

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My furnace has ducting that forces air down towards floor works very well usually set it mid thermostat and we will suck down a full 30pound propane bottle in 3 nights. I insulted floor with spray foam underneath not a must but keeps ice off floor and furnace cycles less. Tool/paper towel holder and as much shelving as possible are also nice. Check out Redline Engine Performance: Home Page hes got a lot of new stainless shelf products.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still have some old sleds that only go one direction so will need that front door. Lol. The dual batteries is a good idea for sure as well. Tons of great ideas here.
Much Appreciated

Buy a24' fits 4 sleds better and have a trailer with a fibre glass finish or glued on tin sheets if it has screws u will be tighting them after every trip ive had 3 enclosed trailers over the last 10 yrs.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have enjoyed reading through the suggestions. Some pretty good ones. Hasn't anyone had a fueling station put on their enclosed? Most toy haulers have them and they work very well. Buddy of mine has a 50 gallon tank on the bottom of his. Gotta be discrete though as BC Ferries don't like them for some reason.... Slip tank in the truck might work too

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have enjoyed reading through the suggestions. Some pretty good ones. Hasn't anyone had a fueling station put on their enclosed? Most toy haulers have them and they work very well. Buddy of mine has a 50 gallon tank on the bottom of his. Gotta be discrete though as BC Ferries don't like them for some reason.... Slip tank in the truck might work too
My trailer is a mid height so I have short wheel wheels on either side. I put 4 of the plastic military style jerry cans there with my spare tire. Works great. My toy hauler has the fuel station like you said but in the enclosed I am ok with the jerry cans.

Top Bottom