Sled deck in 2021 chevy 1500

POWslayer420

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post here, I am wondering what others have done to mount their sled deck on their new chevy half ton. Im not wanting to drill through my nice box. I am thinking of using four 1/2" x 6" turnbuckles. One on each corner and anchored to the factory tie downs in the corner with a clevice. I did some research and found those little tie downs are only good for 500lbs. Is there a factory anchor point strong enough elsewhere that im missing? Have others been using those little tie downs with no issue? Do i need to buy aftermarket anchor points for my box? Would like to see and hear what others have done on similar models.
Cheers

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's what you're going to hear:

1500s aren't rated for two sleds on a deck. But many do it. I hope you don't have the 5.5 box.

Decks should be bolted down for insurance and safety reasons. But many do what you're proposing.

bsoluk

Reaction score
I’ve used turn buckles on the factory tie down points years prior. But the new Chevy tie down points are very weak. I would highly recommend to bolt it down.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the bc cops have backed off the overloaded rec vehicles
I am using the factory loops for my aluminum deck that weighs 400lb with the ramp
2 sleds with fuel and my anchored load is under a tonne so i feel fine using them
tools are required to tighten the system so insurance sayes I am covered :unsure::unsure:
the at4 3500 rates the anchor points at 500lbs also

POWslayer420

Reaction score
Here's what you're going to hear:

1500s aren't rated for two sleds on a deck. But many do it. I hope you don't have the 5.5 box.

Decks should be bolted down for insurance and safety reasons. But many do what you're proposing.
I have the 5'10" box, 6.2L trailboss and a 7' denali deck

POWslayer420

Reaction score
I think the bc cops have backed off the overloaded rec vehicles
I am using the factory loops for my aluminum deck that weighs 400lb with the ramp
2 sleds with fuel and my anchored load is under a tonne so i feel fine using them
tools are required to tighten the system so insurance sayes I am covered :unsure::unsure:
the at4 3500 rates the anchor points at 500lbs also
Do you use it this way for long hauls? Is it sketchy?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont see a issue with the factory anchor points ? 4 of them 2000 lbs ?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont see a issue with the factory anchor points ? 4 of them 2000 lbs ?
So being older and more cautious now, just imagine driving down the highway two sleds on the deck and you have a very sudden stop, maybe a rear end collision or animal. Can you imagine the force exerted on those poor little turnbuckles. Where is your deck and 2 sleds going to end up?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t care either way, but here’s a story about how much force happens to a stopping vehicle
Back in the day at the end of the parkway where you turn west on Highway one my buddy slid in the ditch. He had the old steel super clamps with a threaded handle to spin down in to the deck. Sliding to the ditch diagonally then hitting 5’ snow and stopping fast. Those super clamps bent like V’s, and 2 sleds Sled Flew off the truck like an undone helmet off your head. Thank God his deck was bolted on. Cool thing was they went way down in the ravine that used to be there. And we got to ride in the park. we had to ride them back out of there up to the highway. Lol.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you use it this way for long hauls? Is it sketchy?
been to whistler/ blue river/ mcbride
lots of frost heaves from ok valley to those areas
Have you guys seen some of the turn buckles guys use on some of the campers that weigh ????/lbs
keep the deck tight to box front of box you will be fine
and lock nuts are the ticket from coming loose

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 5'10" box, 6.2L trailboss and a 7' denali deck
If your dead set on using your halfton like a 3/4, at least run some 3/4 leafs in the back with 10 ply tires. It will help keep the nose down and not drag the bumper like a dodge. The 6.5 box would have been a better choice.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess in a accident crazy ch!t can happen. I kinda feel like those plastic super clamps are first to let go . The deck is right up against the box where is it going to go?

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess in a accident crazy ch!t can happen. I kinda feel like those plastic super clamps are first to let go . The deck is right up against the box where is it going to go?
I was in a accident with two sleds on deck and the one slide out was tore right off,the superclamps held the sleds. The one sled had nothing under the ski yet the front and rear clamp held and did not break
I bolt my deck and use turn buckles and yes turn buckles loosen off unless use a jam nut on them,I find bolting them holds deck secure and turn buckles help with movement when loading and unloading from rocking movement. imo when guys say about legs and welds cracking I feel if both are used that won't happen.
My insurance would not cover deck with just turn buckles it has to be bolted.

Top Bottom