Do you ride with teather?

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread...I can definately see it on the efi sleds for the engines sake. Cant say I wear mine though...in the middle of a line on a steep face and your tether comes off...bad news...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will never wear my tether as long as i ride a carb sled. however i am concidering a teth-air. anyone on an efi sled should wear it i think. last weekend my friends new etec was upside down and all of the sudden it started to wind up full throttle as it was still slowly rotating downhill towards my friend. the throttle may have let up as it righted itself but the track would still be spinning at a high rate of speed and used his body to stop. it was a mad scramble digging under the sled trying to raech the rip cord. everything turned out ok but makes ya think.......i will asy my carb sled shuts off even if its laying on its side. soo not all that worried about it. the way i hang off my sled i think the tether could be a real issue for me. ditch banging is a different story.

i was thinking the same thing. when you hang far off the side and your on the opposite side of the tehther hook sometimes i find i end up stopin real fast and it hurts. lol. but i guess you could put a extension onto the cord

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I was riding one of my brothers sleds.
Coming down the mountain the left throttle caught a branch.(too close to the trees)

Wide open throttle into the other trees
$ 6000.00 damage, now he has a teather on both sleds.:beer:

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ALWAYS !!!i even hook it up to me if im only unloading or loading onto the trailer.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing. when you hang far off the side and your on the opposite side of the tehther hook sometimes i find i end up stopin real fast and it hurts. lol. but i guess you could put a extension onto the cord

ya exactly like when im pretending to be chris burandt on a 45 degree slope going through 38" wide tree openings if that thing catches and my sled shuts off....goodbye sled and goodbye any chance of recovery

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I was riding one of my brothers sleds.
Coming down the mountain the left throttle caught a branch.(too close to the trees)

Wide open throttle into the other trees
$ 6000.00 damage, now he has a teather on both sleds.:beer:

did it knock you off or did ya jump takes just as long to hit the kill switch on the bars as it does to jump. shouldnt have the rubber on the kill switch to prevent it from getting bumped?:confused: jk. chit happens i guess. but i have a hard time havin fun when the movement is so limited. even if i tie it to my waist on the tether side my cord is to short.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading about the limited movement, just went into the shop to see how far i get get with it on. I cant stand behind the sled but i can have my feet at the rear wheels. I can walk at least 2 feet from the side. I can lean all the way to one side and still not have it come off.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
did it knock you off or did ya jump takes just as long to hit the kill switch on the bars as it does to jump. shouldnt have the rubber on the kill switch to prevent it from getting bumped?:confused: jk. chit happens i guess. but i have a hard time havin fun when the movement is so limited. even if i tie it to my waist on the tether side my cord is to short.

snowmobiles were not meant to be ridden standing up....

Settle yourself down, sit and ride within the manufacturers intended use of the product and the tether will not interfere with operation...

Friggin kids....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading about the limited movement, just went into the shop to see how far i get get with it on. I cant stand behind the sled but i can have my feet at the rear wheels. I can walk at least 2 feet from the side. I can lean all the way to one side and still not have it come off.

thats great but can you do this with it on? LOL

Winter+X+Games+Day+4+4ENWpD1HMbfl.jpg

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/carnage-22959.html

Full throttle sleds without riders aren't always upside down, maxwell. So, given that you have been shown two carbed sleds that ran away to disastrous ends - please explain to us in detail why carbed sleds do not require tethers.

i didnt say they dont. i just choose not to use mine. thats my choice.

if you read what i wrote i said I DONT WEAR MY TETHER. not EVERYONE WITH A CARB SLED DOESNT NEED A TETHER.

if you see my sled bombing accross a lake headed towards a group of babies then i guess then you can say i told you so?

Last edited:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didnt say they dont. i just choose not to use mine. thats my choice.

if you read what i wrote i said I DONT WEAR MY TETHER. not EVERYONE WITH A CARB SLED DOESNT NEED A TETHER.

if you see my sled bombing accross a lake headed towards a group of babies then i guess then you can say i told you so?

I think someone pulled the tether connected to your brain just before you posted.....just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice...
why are you so worried about my tether. its my choice move on.

I am just curious as to why you think the carbed sled is safer, or less prone to runaway, than the EFI one - what's the thought process? Enlighten me!

Last edited:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
I don't wear mine enough...a guy should...there is not one ounce of argument in this thread that counters the safety feature.

My Bro-in-law was waiting on the trail on our way up to Clemia and adjusted his hand wind guard...it pinched the throttle cable and sent his REV straight into the bush at full throttle with him holding on for dear life. He held on knowing that his tether was not on him...if it was...no big deal he could have let it go.

Minimal damage, his sled smelt pine fresh and he was OK. I've never seen Sledderdoc laugh that hard, don't think I will again.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to why you think the carbed sled is safer, or less prove to runaway, than the EFI one - what's the thought process? Enlighten me!

it has nothing to do with running away. in fact most efi sleds have a tps to prevent startup runnaways which carb sleds do not. so one could say an efi sled has a smalller chance of running away than a carb sled.

that being said a carb sled will run away just like an efii sled. the difference is a carb sled wont chainsaw overtop of you like an efi sled will if rolled. THIS is my main concern and the only reason i would wear a tether on an efi sled.

maybe my day will come that my throttle pins magically and i fall off. sending my machine into the deep woods. i will post photos and you can LOLOL all day.

im not against tethers no one can argue the safety. and i am seriously considering a tethair. its the cord that has me worried. and thats my opinion only.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have certainly drawn a personal line in the sand on the issue. I don't think I am alone when I give the opinion that you drew it in a strange place...

Top Bottom