Cleaning ceramic coated pipe?

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to do this? The pipe is quite tarnished - can you simply respray with high heat paint over a ceramic coating? It is an SLP pipe with factory coating.............any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks........

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the pipe glass beaded and get back to me a buddy of mine in millet does powder/ceramic coating:D

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i think i read in another post a couple threads back that SLP is kinda fake coating from the factory..is this right??

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a factory coating and may not be as good as proper ceramisc coatings _ can I just get some silver high temp spraypaint and go over the top of it?

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a factory coating and may not be as good as proper ceramisc coatings _ can I just get some silver high temp spraypaint and go over the top of it?

It might be better to go get it ceramic coated for real at a coater?

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is for a sled that I just want to clean up before selling, so don't want to spend a lot of mulla on new coating!! Does anyone know if I can just repaint over that slp coating?

Or thought I saw a post somewhere on putting it through an industrial parts cleaner and they come up spotless - is there any that would do that around Edmonton?

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can repaint it with high temp engine paint but it won't last. The first run you take with the sled will have the paint baking off and that is a terrible stink. You'll stop the sled and think that it is on fire due to the stink and smoke coming out from under the hood. Unfortunately I know this cause I tried it on an AC that i had. Cleaned the rust and salt damage off the pipes and then repainted w/ a good quality high temp engine paint. Even let them sit for a couple days at room temp to let the paint dry and cure properly. All looked good till that first ride across the lake and for about the next 200 km's there after the paint was still burning off. Your riding buddies won't want to get caught behind you cause of the stink....lol

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen pipes painted with John Deere muffler Black that work, best paint I've ever seen out of a can...but they're black.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian Tire sells a spray paint with a ceramic additive in it. You have to bake it at 250f but it worked ok on a buddies sled.If you wanna do it cheap give the pipes a good sanding, get some etching primer and sray that first then its up to YOU what to use for paint.:D

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can repaint it with high temp engine paint but it won't last. The first run you take with the sled will have the paint baking off and that is a terrible stink. You'll stop the sled and think that it is on fire due to the stink and smoke coming out from under the hood. Unfortunately I know this cause I tried it on an AC that i had. Cleaned the rust and salt damage off the pipes and then repainted w/ a good quality high temp engine paint. Even let them sit for a couple days at room temp to let the paint dry and cure properly. All looked good till that first ride across the lake and for about the next 200 km's there after the paint was still burning off. Your riding buddies won't want to get caught behind you cause of the stink....lol

hmm, i've black painted pipes for a couple sleds with some high temp barbecue paint from home hardware, and it works really good. It holds out much better than I thought, should be good for 2 yrs of riding.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duplicolor High Heat paint with Ceramic. Available at C-Tire. Works like a charm. When you run the pipe up to full heat it bakes on a like a ceramic coating. Very durable. You can bake it in the oven at 400 F I think it is, but the wife isn't too keen on that.

Incredible paint!!

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmm, i've black painted pipes for a couple sleds with some high temp barbecue paint from home hardware, and it works really good. It holds out much better than I thought, should be good for 2 yrs of riding.

Hmm I should have tried bbq paint. If i'm going to paint a pipe any time in the future i'll have to give that try.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy cow.... This is such a simple fix that it's not even funny.... Alls 'you have to do is clean it up with ultra fine scotch brite then you can polish it with like an aluminum polish,(example mothers polish)... You can polish any ceramic coated pipe to a almost chrome like finish with a thing like mothers polish.... And it is a good idea to do that from time to time as a peventative maintanance deal.....

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks - good tip on scotch brite and mothers. Will try that first and then the Duplicolour if that does not hold on this pipe. Great tips and thanks again.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy cow.... This is such a simple fix that it's not even funny.... Alls 'you have to do is clean it up with ultra fine scotch brite then you can polish it with like an aluminum polish,(example mothers polish)... You can polish any ceramic coated pipe to a almost chrome like finish with a thing like mothers polish.... And it is a good idea to do that from time to time as a peventative maintanance deal.....

What GLEngine said....I have an SLP pipe that I've run for 4 years and its still shiny. I wash it clean with a damp rag through the sled season and use Mothers Aluminum Polish on it applied twice a year. Try the Mothers first, it may do the job.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally got around to trying the scotch brite with polish - UNBELIEVABLE results. I am going to do half the pipe and then post pictures. What a simple solution, without having to blast and recoat. I cannot believe how well this has worked. Thanks glengine!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey not a problem... I think that it's things like that, that this site is good for helping people out with knowledge when you can.. I look forward to seeing the pics so others can see the amazing results i know you'll have..

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom