4' 250 pound muskrat sighting on trans can #1 that bites!!

boosted metal

Reaction score
Headed out from ktown to blue lake this morning. Started out a great day w sleds and gas ready to roll. We came out of sicamous and started rounding the bend on hwy#1 . I noticed a short fat furry headed 4' muskrat run out from the side of the road w a florescent jacket. Needles to say , I felt like driving the fawker over! Instead I pulled over and got bitten! Just a heads up guys. If your travelling through revy/ sicamous area w your sleds. Sleds must be anchored down with 2 straps on the rear of your sled. One strap left to right and over your suspension is not enough. Having a rear quick clamp off your rail is not enough, need 2. Unsecure load =175.00. Also was harrased on the lift on my powerstoke. Carry your inspection papers if your truck is lifted at all. These furry headed fawkers will bite ! lol

Team Stunned and Stuck

Reaction score
Website
www.overthetop.ca
does the law say you need 2 straps on the rear?
Law says it has to have 4 point tie down system, super clamp on front is considered 2 points, you do the math from there.

Now back to them 4' beaver headed things, maybe we should take a trip up there in the summer on 2 wheels......na......boostedmetal....they could pick you out of a croud a mile away, you would be the one providing the little fat fockers with shade.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I think you might have the best discussion topic I have seen on S&M for the whole of 2010.

Gonna be hard to beat that in 2011.

I heard poison works on muskrats.

Know any one at timmies?

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you have to have 4 points when in a trailer (enclosed)?

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe they should spend some time finding the stolen trucks & Trailers and less time bothering us honest fokes.
I guess do whats easiest they can just wait at timmies for when we stop for a sip and nails us. No work for them.
It use to be RCMP will get there man. Now it get the Donut & Coffee.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't catch theives if there not stopping and checking,just a thought.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is total BS.....I was at the Sicamous cop shop a few months ago....wanted to find out what the law was on strapping down a sled......was wondering if superclamps were legal?......I had the super clamp on the front and one strap on the back........the cop said aslong as it dont move that is good......then I asked about the 4 point tie down law........his exact words were there is no law like that.........has anyone seen this law in writing? I noticed with the superclamp on the front the back end of the sled wont even move from side to side. so if it dont move......dont need a strap. I have had cops behind me lots over the past few months and some times I dont even have a strap on the back........if I cant pick it up and move it.......it is not moving itself lol.........I will run one strap, because that will not let it move..... and that is what I was told to use by a cop in sicamous when I went right into the station to ask! fight the ticket!

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
that is total BS.....I was at the Sicamous cop shop a few months ago....wanted to find out what the law was on strapping down a sled......was wondering if superclamps were legal?......I had the super clamp on the front and one strap on the back........the cop said aslong as it dont move that is good......then I asked about the 4 point tie down law........his exact words were there is no law like that.........has anyone seen this law in writing? I noticed with the superclamp on the front the back end of the sled wont even move from side to side. so if it dont move......dont need a strap. I have had cops behind me lots over the past few months and some times I dont even have a strap on the back........if I cant pick it up and move it.......it is not moving itself lol.........I will run one strap, because that will not let it move..... and that is what I was told to use by a cop in sicamous when I went right into the station to ask! fight the ticket!
Okay! we have beat the ch!t out of this on other forums,

Type in your handy dandy computer: National Safety Code 10

Cops only are expected to know parts of this, They are to enforce other laws not department of transportation.

Anyway the highjacking of the thread. Anyone else think this is one of the funniest titles?

Lets get back to how we are going to trap these critters...

Grapes don't work.

Thanks anyway Bogger!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay! we have beat the ch!t out of this on other forums,

Type in your handy dandy computer: National Safety Code 10

NSC Standard 10: Cargo Securement

A standard which outlines the specific requirements for securing loads to commercial vehicles to ensure they do not shift, move or spill onto the roadway.

How does this apply to private, non-commercial vehicles ?

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score

A standard which outlines the specific requirements for securing loads to commercial vehicles to ensure they do not shift, move or spill onto the roadway.

Do what you want. You probably have read the standard now. Call your local D.O.T.
Explain to them why you are exempt.
I have seen folks get tickets taking garbage to the dump with unsecure and even untarped loads.

Better to argue and whine when you get a ticket rather than comply with safety.

Boy, that extra five minutes for a few more straps really cuts into your life.
Tell that to the people you kill when your sled comes off the deck and slams into their vehicle.

I bet you can argue about not wearing a teather cord, why you should have to have insurance and aything else that is not thought through.

You appear to have a real safe outlook on things.

Best of luck in your future decisions.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kimrick, what the he!! is your problem. I asked a simple question. I just wanted to know how it applied to non-commercial vehicles. You don't have a clue who I am and how I do things. Contrary to what you may think, I take safety very seriously.

For the record, I surpassed everything that is legally required when I had my deck, but even then, if you're in a serious wreck, your sleds are very likely coming off your deck or open trailer. In Jan./01, I was hit by another truck that crossed the center line by Mount Robson. He hit my driver's door, down the side of my truck and hit my 2-place open trailer. Both sleds had a ski bar with 1/2" tie-down bolts and two 2500 lb. ratchet straps on the back of each sled. Both 1/2" bolts and all four straps broke on impact. My sled was over 100 feet off the highway.

The reason I originally asked the question was because I heard guys were getting tickets around the Valemount for only one strap on the back of sleds inside of enclosed trailers. In my 2-place enclosed, we use a Super Clamp up front and one 1500 lb strap on the back bumper. I feel this should be more than adequate inside an enclosed trailer because if I'm ever in a wreck that my sled is coming out of the trailer, one more strap isn't keeping it inside.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure that NSC standards do apply to non-commercial vehicles although it does make mention of vehicles exceeding 4500kg GVWR. I think this may just be for commercially licensed vehicles though. My Dad is retired RCMP. I can ask him to check this out and find out what the real deal is.

As far as snowmobile transportation, I found the following under the Motor Vehicle Act:

Now snowmobile trailers are the only thing mentioned, but I would say it's safe to assume that this would carry over to sled decks as well.
As far as to how many and what kind of securement is required, the way I read it is that the ski's must be clamped down, and that at least two straps or ropes tied in such a way as to not allow the load to shift at all in any direction and each strap or rope must exceed the weight of the load by at least 500lbs.

To be honest, this is just common sense to me for tying anything down. Check out any loader, excavator or other heavy item being transported. It is almost always cross-chained where possible and at both the front and the rear.

This regulation does mention what and how many securement devices are required as per the loads weight, but only applies to vehicles with a GVWR of over 10 000kg. That's one helluva sled trailer!!:d

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LBZ, thank-you for the info. I spent a couple hours online searching for regs regarding this subject for B.C. and Alberta and came up empty handed. The reason I was curious is that my enclosed only came with two d-rings in the floor at the back of trailer and their placement makes it very tough to put two straps per sled. If this is actually the law, then I will have to add a couple more d-rings to my trailer.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Headed out from ktown to blue lake this morning. Started out a great day w sleds and gas ready to roll. We came out of sicamous and started rounding the bend on hwy#1 . I noticed a short fat furry headed 4' muskrat run out from the side of the road w a florescent jacket. Needles to say , I felt like driving the fawker over! Instead I pulled over and got bitten! Just a heads up guys. If your travelling through revy/ sicamous area w your sleds. Sleds must be anchored down with 2 straps on the rear of your sled. One strap left to right and over your suspension is not enough. Having a rear quick clamp off your rail is not enough, need 2. Unsecure load =175.00. Also was harrased on the lift on my powerstoke. Carry your inspection papers if your truck is lifted at all. These furry headed fawkers will bite ! lol

i am going to go a different route on this one here and ask how high is your truck
regulation states that the headlights can 54" max from ground to center of light.
many dealers even do not go by this regulation. i have deliverd trucks ,3ton+, to dealers that we have modified into all wheel drive from 2 wheel drive.while at the dealer i was looking at a brand new, never off the lot, unit that had a lift installed by the dealer, measured lights at 62" from the ground . i asked the salesman how they sell a unit that is not even road legal, he said not our problem the purchaser should know this and will have to take care of it.:confused::rolleyes: good sales man imo.

Top Bottom