2021 Sled Show in Edmonton - Cancelled

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Well the part about a new virus? Too late. That has already been talked about by whatshisname the communist leader of the WHO.
I don't have TV, and I don't listen to radio, so haven't heard.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Not sure who organizes the event and location, but I would think Red Deer would a lot cheaper venue for people and vendors all around.
We usually end up getting a room anyway cause no one is in any shape to drive home, and even that might be a little cheaper in RD.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like Tyler has said this show is a major fundraiser for the ASA. They have to deal with Northlands or Expo centre on everything. The ASA has to give up space for a beer garden only for Expo centre to make all the funds from Beer Gardens. The ASA sponsors space for any Alberta Snowmobile Association Club to attend and promote their area and also space for the antique sleds to be displayed. The ASA has tried a southern show and attendance didn't show up to support it. Main attendees of show are from North Central Alberta. The Alberta snowmobile show is recognized as a premier show across Canada and a thing to be proud of. Our Western Canada show being better than some Eastern Shows feels good. Lets hope that this show is a kick off to a great snowmobile season. Great snow and good weather is coming and we can all go out and enjoy it safely.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RED DEER, RED DEER, RED DEER! You don't even have to wear pants in Red Deer. Lets get the show moved. I'm sure there are tons of Edmontonian's who want a road trip like everyone else.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
won't be moved this year, but I will bring this forward to the show organizers.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^ for everybody except JT"s media and the doctors and subject experts that take the time out of their hectic day to be on the TV every day.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Edmonton just mandated masks for any indoor event so wear your mask with your helmet and cut a small hole in the mask so you can drink your 10 dollar beer with a straw Calgary and Edmonton mayors need to go for a train ride
They are talking about exemptions for events that require proof of vaccination or negative test.....

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they want me to go get tested so they can tell me i have covid even though i feel ok so they can tell me to stay home from work and track my phone so they know where I am they can go fu$k themselves the Canadians health care system is as corrupt forskin himself

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like Tyler has said this show is a major fundraiser for the ASA. They have to deal with Northlands or Expo centre on everything. The ASA has to give up space for a beer garden only for Expo centre to make all the funds from Beer Gardens. The ASA sponsors space for any Alberta Snowmobile Association Club to attend and promote their area and also space for the antique sleds to be displayed. The ASA has tried a southern show and attendance didn't show up to support it. Main attendees of show are from North Central Alberta. The Alberta snowmobile show is recognized as a premier show across Canada and a thing to be proud of. Our Western Canada show being better than some Eastern Shows feels good. Lets hope that this show is a kick off to a great snowmobile season. Great snow and good weather is coming and we can all go out and enjoy it safely.
Sorry man… but I have to comment on this post and call BS!

Yes… the event is a large fundraiser. I get it… the quality of the venue vs the price it comes with is where the problem lies. It is simply too expensive, and I would venture a guess that most “sledders” would be just as happy (with a beer in their hand) in a Quonset in the back forty

The southern show you speak of, is not like comparing apples to apples. What would the attendance be if there was only 1 event per season. The numbers would look very different. And I don’t remember being asked where I’m from when walking in the door, so to suggest that it’s only north central AB that supports it, is a bit presumptuous.

I’m not suggesting that it moves south permanently, but moving it around and as I stated earlier, bringing a more rustic feel, would be something more desirable to the sledder demographic. I remember the years that the Calgary club hosted at the Chestermere arena, and then out at the Bearspaw community centre. The whole event was very low key and relaxed. I would venture that current vendors would greatly appreciate a cost effective venue to showcase their products. Everyone loves the start of a new season… and a good event/party to kick it off is all people are looking for.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those that are coming to this show this year, what will you be looking for? I come to catch up with friends, to see the latest gear and the newest out there! I have switched from 15 years of riding Poo to now riding with a Doo this winter, could use some boots and a pair of heated goggles, but am really looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and smiles.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Those that are coming to this show this year, what will you be looking for? I come to catch up with friends, to see the latest gear and the newest out there! I have switched from 15 years of riding Poo to now riding with a Doo this winter, could use some boots and a pair of heated goggles, but am really looking forward to seeing some familiar faces and smiles.
You won't see any smiles if everyone is wearing a mask.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry man… but I have to comment on this post and call BS!

Yes… the event is a large fundraiser. I get it… the quality of the venue vs the price it comes with is where the problem lies. It is simply too expensive, and I would venture a guess that most “sledders” would be just as happy (with a beer in their hand) in a Quonset in the back forty

The southern show you speak of, is not like comparing apples to apples. What would the attendance be if there was only 1 event per season. The numbers would look very different. And I don’t remember being asked where I’m from when walking in the door, so to suggest that it’s only north central AB that supports it, is a bit presumptuous.

I’m not suggesting that it moves south permanently, but moving it around and as I stated earlier, bringing a more rustic feel, would be something more desirable to the sledder demographic. I remember the years that the Calgary club hosted at the Chestermere arena, and then out at the Bearspaw community centre. The whole event was very low key and relaxed. I would venture that current vendors would greatly appreciate a cost effective venue to showcase their products. Everyone loves the start of a new season… and a good event/party to kick it off is all people are looking for.
you make a good point on "being asked where you're from"..... but how many people would actually take the time to speak to someone and give them that information? I'm serious here, Sledderglen and I both work very closely with the ASA and will happily share any feedback, but if its friday at 4, and you're rushing in to get the latest deal on Klim Bikini Style Underwear from Martin Motorsports, are you actually goign to take the 2 minutes to give someone at the door/ticket booth your Postal Code, or City/Province so that we can get an accurate gauge as to the demographic?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im guessing if Edmonton still has mask mandate, and the event is mask mandatory the turnout is going to be pretty crappy. I feel for the vendors that shelled out cash last year, and will likely have to use that credit this year only to have a crappy turnout.

Top Bottom