2012 Yamahas?

Smokey1

Reaction score
Coming up on 38k kms time to check valve clearance lol.

But really, 800kms so far this season and nothing but a little bit of fuel.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wrenching sucks.......when is the first service besides oil change for the Apex? I heard for the R1 bike which I think is the same engine is valve service at 20 000KM any input? only thing I do is greese the M-10 every ride lol and turn key.

Well the first valve adjustment on the 500 Phazer is at 10,000km so 20,000 for an apex might be about right. Any 800 smoker would be on it's fourth engine by that time lol. The wY I figure it if in gonna cough up 12,000+ dollars for a brand new machine I would expect it to last longer than 2500km.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only bad point for the yamaha 4 stroke is we have to adjust valves at 20 000 km but on the good side it is better than the guys running 2 smokers that change their engine more often than we yamaha guy change our oil! lol yes Im heavy.....wont say I'm not......but I can out climb you! LOL

tranquillicer

Reaction score
Soooooo......what we have concluded here is 1)Yammis are heavy, very reliable and need a turbo to function in the hills..2) 2 strokes are generally much lighter, don't have to have a turbo to function decently in the hills and are not as reliable as a Yammi....... I'm getting a little long in the tooth and my memory is not what it use to be but seems to me I've heard this before:beer:
Last time I checked I had waaaaaaaay over $30,000 into my TNytro....sold it for half that. I knew it going in but its still a big hit on your investment.
Again, my memory is a little weak but I think the rule of thumb for the Yammi is.... change oil every year and filter every 12,000 miles but not sure why you wouldn't change the filter while your in there.
So can Yammi build a 500 ish pound 4 stroker with 160-180hp with out boost and make it last like everything else from '08 to now? That would be something to make the other three stutter a bit I'm sure.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooooo......what we have concluded here is 1)Yammis are heavy, very reliable and need a turbo to function in the hills..2) 2 strokes are generally much lighter, don't have to have a turbo to function decently in the hills and are not as reliable as a Yammi....... I'm getting a little long in the tooth and my memory is not what it use to be but seems to me I've heard this before:beer:
Last time I checked I had waaaaaaaay over $30,000 into my TNytro....sold it for half that. I knew it going in but its still a big hit on your investment.
Again, my memory is a little weak but I think the rule of thumb for the Yammi is.... change oil every year and filter every 12,000 miles but not sure why you wouldn't change the filter while your in there.
So can Yammi build a 500 ish pound 4 stroker with 160-180hp with out boost and make it last like everything else from '08 to now? That would be something to make the other three stutter a bit I'm sure.

In order for Yammi to drop the 50 or so pounds and get 40 more hp without forced induction would make their sled weak and unreliable. look at dirt bikes, 250 four strokes need to rev at 14 000 rpm to crack 35hp and need valve adjustments every 20 hours to be relaible , a 250 2 stroke makes 45 hp, can go a whole season with anything but a piston and ring change which is usually $ 200 in parts, 2 stroke = less weight, more power. Changing pistons and rings I can do myself and have been since I was 12 years old, valve adjustments not so much.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they each have a purpose. and it all depends on riding style.

for some a 4 stroke may NEVER work for them even boosted.

yamaha has the R&D i was hoping they would come back into the mountain market with a super efficient 2 stroke similar to the etec. because yamaha does make a very high quality product.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that 10 years ago, if I had a 120hp sled with a 144" track around the 600lb mark, I had a pretty capable mountain sled. Today it would seem that I need 150hp, 162" track with a dry weight under 500lb or I won't make it out of my driveway...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they have it but it costs 25,000

Post started at 4:28. Maxwell's reply 4:31. Took Maxwell all of three minutes to jump into this one. Would have a lot less I'm sure if the word "Cat" was used anywhere. :d :beer:

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that 10 years ago, if I had a 120hp sled with a 144" track around the 600lb mark, I had a pretty capable mountain sled. Today it would seem that I need 150hp, 162" track with a dry weight under 500lb or I won't make it out of my driveway...

The technology 10 years ago had all of the manufacturers relatively even at 120hp/144"track, so everybody was used to being limited to smaller terrain challenges, unless you modded your sled. Now, the technology has increased enough that most guys are not used to being limited to the terrain that 120hp/144" track can handle, and would never go back to that option. If Yamaha would have had the Nytro 162" 10 years ago, it would have been the sled to have, because there was nothing out that would blow it out of the water (stock), but now, just to compete with 2 stroke technology, you have to turbo the Nytro. Once you do turbo though.... look out :eek:

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In order for Yammi to drop the 50 or so pounds and get 40 more hp without forced induction would make their sled weak and unreliable. look at dirt bikes, 250 four strokes need to rev at 14 000 rpm to crack 35hp and need valve adjustments every 20 hours to be relaible , a 250 2 stroke makes 45 hp, can go a whole season with anything but a piston and ring change which is usually $ 200 in parts, 2 stroke = less weight, more power. Changing pistons and rings I can do myself and have been since I was 12 years old, valve adjustments not so much.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Comparing a 250 4stroke to a 250 2stroke makes no sense. Of course their HP output is going to way different. The 250 4stroke is the modern day 125 2stroke just like the 450 4stroke is the modern day 250 2stroke. Oh, I also know a lot of guys ridn' their 4stroke bikes many years with nothing else done to them except the periodic maintenance. Just sayin'!
As for sleds, I'll stay with my reliable 4stroke piggy as these days I'm more into riding than wrenching. Now don't me wrong, I'd love a lighter sled but until they can make them a little more reliable I'm stayin' with Yammi.
:snowball:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wrenching sucks.......when is the first service besides oil change for the Apex? I heard for the R1 bike which I think is the same engine is valve service at 20 000KM any input? only thing I do is greese the M-10 every ride lol and turn key.

BULLCH!T

How many rides did that fouling injector ruin? I remember you mentioning at least 3 ruined days so stop telling lies about only greasing the skid......

This goes for people on both sides of the fence. Seems like if your sled (2 stroke or 4 stroke) runs good for just one afternoon, then it suddenly has a flawless maintenance record.

Maybe some people need to start keeping a log book of their breakdowns because their memory is getting a little short.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BULLCH!T

How many rides did that fouling injector ruin? I remember you mentioning at least 3 ruined days so stop telling lies about only greasing the skid......

This goes for people on both sides of the fence. Seems like if your sled (2 stroke or 4 stroke) runs good for just one afternoon, then it suddenly has a flawless maintenance record.

Maybe some people need to start keeping a log book of their breakdowns because their memory is getting a little short.

Wait, wait, wait......now I remember. I had a breakdown a few years back. My battery cable came loose and I had to tighten it before I could continue on. :fear:
Just razzin' :beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait......now I remember. I had a breakdown a few years back. My battery cable came loose and I had to tighten it before I could continue on. :fear:
Just razzin' :beer:

I've worked on Apex's....right Shawn? Tightening the battery cable is still like a 4 hr job isn't it? :D

Top Bottom