2012 Yamahas?

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know hard pack sucks but I do have a 1974 340 thunderjet with about 75hp and it is free air so compare it to a 340 elan can't happen, same with 2 and 4 stroke a nytro stock compares to a 600 2 stroke they have equivalent horse power.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people just don't understand that a 4 stroke has one power stroke every 4th stroke and a 2 stroke every 2nd. That's why you need more displacement. You don't need quite double as the 4 stroke is more efficient. The future is in 4 strokes, the road race bikes disappeared and now the MX bikes are following suit, you don't see many 2 strokes at the track these days. Sleds will follow, it's just a matter of time. Even Doo knows it, looks like they have a new 4 stroke sled for 2012.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people just don't understand that a 4 stroke has one power stroke every 4th stroke and a 2 stroke every 2nd. That's why you need more displacement. You don't need quite double as the 4 stroke is more efficient. The future is in 4 strokes, the road race bikes disappeared and now the MX bikes are following suit, you don't see many 2 strokes at the track these days. Sleds will follow, it's just a matter of time. Even Doo knows it, looks like they have a new 4 stroke sled for 2012.

Thank you! Honestly I'd be on a four stroke if they had one pushing 165hp in a sub 500lb chassis but that isn't available from the factory, YET. I had a RM250 and got rid of it and got on an RMZ450, there's no way in hell I'm going back to a 2 stroke bike, the thumper has a much better and more usable powerband not to mention its fuel injected. What I don't understand is why Yamaha holds back on their engines. They have the ability to make that 1050cc triple compete, why don't they? The reliability would still be there. Look at street bikes, lots of power and yet still very reliable. Isn't the R1 rated at roughly 180hp at the crank? So is 150-160 unrealistic for the Nytro? Granted the R1 revs a lot higher (didn't the Apex have a gear reduction off the crank so the primary would live?) but still, I don't see why it can't be done.

Maybe I'm dreaming but I'd like to see a 800cc turboed twin cylinder thumper in a rider forward chassis at 165hp from Yamaha. I know I'd be first in line to buy one. They build top quality stuff no doubt.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know they could get 160-180hp out of the Nytro motor with timing, head porting and higher compression, heard of it being done by someone already. I personally wish they would to even things out with the other brands. It would not make as good a turbo platform as it is now though and these motors can produce over 300hp with boost and only a headshim. There are lot's on the snow running 180+ hp at all altitudes with low boost turbo kits and stock compression. The Nytros are around 600lb full of all fluids incl. fuel and the reliability is unmatched. There are lot's of weight saving opportunities. Naysayers will talk about the $35 and $40k mod sleds but that is not what you have to spend to have a great sled. There are lot's of big dollar 2 stroke mods on the snow as well but they have nowhere close to the reliability and durability, not to mention the operation expenses and they just don't compare to the 4 stroke power.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today, 02:57 AM #65 (permalink)
TABSTER
Supporting Vendors

only the elan "deluxe" was a twin.....cylinder.

GO TO BED! LOL :d:d

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BULLCH!T

How many rides did that fouling injector ruin? I remember you mentioning at least 3 ruined days so stop telling lies about only greasing the skid......

This goes for people on both sides of the fence. Seems like if your sled (2 stroke or 4 stroke) runs good for just one afternoon, then it suddenly has a flawless maintenance record.

Maybe some people need to start keeping a log book of their breakdowns because their memory is getting a little short.

it sputtered comming home last 2 km.... parked because of work......put seafoam in it....went for a 10 km ride with the kid when I got some time.....problem fixed.........it was not even bad enough to stop me from riding........so can I say again......4-stroke = ride! never lost a day from the injector! I did lose rides from work! I have the sled running 100% but work is just crazy!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it sputtered comming home last 2 km.... parked because of work......put seafoam in it....went for a 10 km ride with the kid when I got some time.....problem fixed.........it was not even bad enough to stop me from riding........so can I say again......4-stroke = ride! never lost a day from the injector! I did lose rides from work! I have the sled running 100% but work is just crazy!

sure dude, just goes to show that no sled is perfect......

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing in this world is without flaws! but seriously 4 stroke=reliability....
end of story. you cant argue the simple facts of life dude!

I know 4S's are reliable, never disputed that. I have ridden with some 4s's and while they are nice, I'm just saying they are not perfect like some people would have you believe.

elanfan

Reaction score
somebody needs to brush up on Elan history. The twin is fan cooled and was not just on the "deluxe" version. Earlier versions were just Elans with twins. And of course the SS models.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are compared by hp not displacement otherwise thats like comparing a 340 snopro to a 340 elan no comparison, apple to oranges. And that 340 snopro will eat your 800 for lunch on the hardpack.

Not likely. I used to race them. The 340 super mods used to make around 100hp in very efficient chassis's on ice to get the speeds they did. A properly geared state of the art 800 with a 1 inch lug track will eat your 340 I'm afraid. Sorry, nice try though. :d:beer:

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are both geared for 660 feet your sno pro weighs in at about 250 to 300Lb your 800 is well over 400 hp to weight the snopro will probably kick its azz on a 660ft ice track. Just sayin.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How did this start out about 2012 yamahas and now we are discussing ELAN Ski-doos. WTF I`m not backreading anymore

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are both geared for 660 feet your sno pro weighs in at about 250 to 300Lb your 800 is well over 400 hp to weight the snopro will probably kick its azz on a 660ft ice track. Just sayin.

What do you think Sledderglen? You are a super mod.....erator? lol. It would be close on ice but I want pics in my 800r ETEC mxz. On hard pack snow that little 340 is gonna suffer some getting out of the blocks because of a lack of torque which the 800 has lot's of. But it would be fun to try it and have a few beers after. Ha Ha! Back to the thread topic I'm pretty sure a boosted Yammy would kick both our butts. :):beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom