2011 3500HD SRW - Lug Nuts Broke 3 Studs

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In every manual, it notes how much the wheels should be torqued. My 4Runner say 90lbs, my Ford Escape says 70lbs and my F450 says 100lbs. More than that stretches the post an will cause the problems.

• Thanks
Reactions: GRD

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did mine to 135ft/lb
Kal tire said 145 southeside dodge said 135ish ??wtf!
Anyhow pulled wheel off just now 4 more fu(ked. I'm going to change them all out, we'll I'm getting good at pulling dodge fnt end apart. Just what everyone should practice ! Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351266270.217466.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351266284.555668.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351266299.719348.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351266315.373100.jpg

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those studs were like new when I put them on. I threaded all of them on by hand. No impacting them on.I always cris-cross pattern the nuts off too.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea to use antiseize on any wheel studs/nuts

Huh ???

Any kind of lube on the threads is a false torque. Cause it makes it easyer to turn.

So say u torque to 130 with lube I bet Ur in the 140-150 range.

sent from my htc

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those have been galled, something was in the thread of either the nut or the bolt and f$%ked the threads, I would chuck whatever nuts you were using and get new ones stat!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea to use antiseize on any wheel studs/nuts
Bad idea!! You will not find in any manual where this is a good or approved practice on any wheelstud!
Huh ???

Any kind of lube on the threads is a false torque. Cause it makes it easyer to turn.

So say u torque to 130 with lube I bet Ur in the 140-150 range.

sent from my htc
And this is the reason why. And likely you will be much higher than 150ftlbs.
Those threads in the pics above were overtorqued and the threads pulled-probably inside the nut and buggered the threads up pulling them off the stud in spots on the way off. 150ftlbs is too much. 140 is spec with a good calibrated torque wrench. Doesn't matter if they are steel or aluminum, same spec according to GM.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bad idea!! You will not find in any manual where this is a good or approved practice on any wheelstud!

And this is the reason why. And likely you will be much higher than 150ftlbs.
Those threads in the pics above were overtorqued and the threads pulled-probably inside the nut and buggered the threads up pulling them off the stud in spots on the way off. 150ftlbs is too much. 140 is spec with a good calibrated torque wrench. Doesn't matter if they are steel or aluminum, same spec according to GM.

I agree they look over torqued but no way in h:ll they were by me. I'm leaning towards the water between the hub and wheel then freezing causing over torquing / stress on studs. That is the only way I can see it happing. The gawling happened while taking them off. I just double checked my torq wrench against another wrench both were same on five bolts. So it's not my wrench. I never put anti seize on wheel studs that would cause a over torq

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With any bolt application, the bolt is not supposed to be carrying the load. The bolt is there to squish two materials together tight enough so that the friction between the two will carry the load. That being said, I think that a wheel that fits snugly on to the hub is a good idea.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree they look over torqued but no way in h:ll they were by me. I'm leaning towards the water between the hub and wheel then freezing causing over torquing / stress on studs. That is the only way I can see it happing. The gawling happened while taking them off. I just double checked my torq wrench against another wrench both were same on five bolts. So it's not my wrench. I never put anti seize on wheel studs that would cause a over torq
the amount of water between the wheel and hub once installed is negligible enough that it would never freeze causing expansion to force the two apart enough to cause an overtorque on your studs. if there was a gallon of water in between, maybe.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gallon no it wouldn't take much water to swell to make a difference 135ftlb to 160ftlb??? but good point. I saw a 1.5 inch pipe support fill with frost/condensation from a ethylene line lift a entire pipe 3 inches tearing the building wall in the process. Frozen water is pretty strong stuff IMO

But how do you explain it. The other theory on the table is cheap nuts that are streaching apart and causing the pile up when taking them off.

Top Bottom