2011 3500HD SRW - Lug Nuts Broke 3 Studs

GRD

Reaction score
So I have aftermarket XD Addict rims on my truck. I noticed when washing the truck on the weekend that I was missing a lug nut on the rear passenger side, I took a closer look and saw that the lug nut had broken off with the stud. Concerned I grabbed a socket to check the other lugs nuts, as I was putting the socket on (by hand) a second lug nut had broke the stud, it must have been just hanging on. All the other studs were good on that side. I checked the rear drivers side, same thing I put the socket on (by hand), and the lug nut broke off with the stud. I don't really remember when I last torqued the lug nuts, but it was shortly after the wheels were put on.

I ended up backing all the lug nuts off on all four wheels and re-torqueing them to 150 ft. lbs. The truck is now at the place I purchased the wheels, they are replacing the broken studs at no cost. They were unable to explain the reason they broke, they believe that the lug nuts may have been over or under torqued. I thought it might be the wrong lug nuts, but the tire store indicated that they are the correct studs.

Any idea what would cause them to break? Anyone else had similar problems? I only have approximately 10K on the new wheels. I will be watching them and re-torqueing them more often. I asked them to replace all of the studs, and they don't feel it is necessary at this time.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Do your aftermarket wheels have the centering rings? Probably overtorqued or crossthreaded when installing? In the winter, any water/ice buildup behind the wheel can actually expand and cause excess stress on the wheel studs and they have been known to break....... You will see more broken wheel studs in the winter than in the summer.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well in my mind 150 is too much unless its a dully with washers.

130 is all I do at work

sent from my htc

• Thanks
Reactions: GRD

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YES!!! Check for a centering ring....the aftermarket rim will not fit tight on the axle center ring, We supply a plastic ring. This ring will help carry the load to the truck axle, Not the studs carrying the load and breaking. Your wheel torque should be 140lbs. Check with your dealer..

• Thanks

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
You some times have to watch aftermarket rims they make them universal chev and dodge 2500/3500 are the same bolt pattern 8x165 so the center hub should be riding on the rim taking the weight of the truck. If dodges center hub is bigger than chev on a universal fit then it will not ride on the rim so the rims have to be fitted with center rings to take up the slack if not fitted with them then the weight of the truck is riding on the lug nuts and wheel studs instead of the rim. For some cars this is fine but for the weight that trucks can carry they have to rely on the rim and not the studs. One way to tell if fitted properly is when you rotate your tires and when you remove the nuts you have a bitch of a time getting the rim off because it is stuck on the hub due to the expansion of 2 different materials and grit getting between the rim and the hub almost have to take a sledge hammer after it.

Hope you figure out what I'm trying to saying

Fun$

Reaction score
Lugnuts break because wheels are loose .you can't cross thread a nut down a wheel stud 1.5 inches without realizing something is wrong very early in the nut rundown . They say wheel nut torque is the responsibility of the owner on a regular basis .when wheels won't come off ( usually aluminum rims) they are corroded on the centering hub of the axle and the rim.

• Thanks

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. I have 18 inch dodge rims on my 97 chev. Pull a trailer pretty much evey mile.

I bet there's 1/2 gap to the hub hole.

Never one in 5 years had one issue with studs or nuts.

Aluminum aftermarket rims are the worst for having to retorque the nuts. Have checked before and had some loose 3 times after

As long as the nuts-studs are torqued even and centered the hub hole does chit.

sent from my htc

• Thanks

fountaintirexp

Reaction score
Website
www.fountaintire.com
Over-tourque for sure, we see quite a few chevys with broken studs. Very weak studs on the 2500-3500 prior to 2012. Keep in mind even a cheap impact gun will put out 350 ft/pds, any techs will install the nuts with his gun and then torque it after but if he's not careful he already way, way, overtourqued them.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the tire guys 150%. Wheel have been over torqued. If they were loose the nuts would come off, not break studs. 150 ft lbs sound way too high. And if they were cranked on with an impact with someone that didnt know the gun or what they were doing they will over torque quickly.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was west of golden with my 2008 dodge drw. 2 sleds on the deck. I got up to 140 passing 2 rigs and a car. Just as I finished passing the last one and still on the other side of the road my passenger side front center cap went flying and out from it came a bunch of wheel nuts. Well I about ch!t my pants and was barely able to pull off the road and when I did the front rim was held by one stud/nut. I run mag wheels in summer. Steel wheels in winter. When I put my winter rims on at trail tire I re torqued them 2 times in the next 500 km and still my nuts snapped off. So I had that corner fixed In golden and the others all torqued again. When I got home I popped off the center caps to re torque again(paranoia) my other front was full of studs/nuts. So for sure they were over torqued and stretched I think. So I went to dodge and had all new oem studs/nuts put in and I now change over my own tires. Also it cost mega. Tow truck to golden. Emergency garage fix. Bus parts to golden from calgary. And completely put in all new studs after all. $2100 bucks later. But not dead atleast.

GRD

Reaction score
Over-tourque for sure, we see quite a few chevys with broken studs. Very weak studs on the 2500-3500 prior to 2012. Keep in mind even a cheap impact gun will put out 350 ft/pds, any techs will install the nuts with his gun and then torque it after but if he's not careful he already way, way, overtourqued them.

I am trying to get this tire store to replace all the rear studs. They have replaced the 3 broken ones at no charge, but don't think they need to replace the other 6 studs on one side and 7 on the other. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well its hard to say y they broke off.

But the ownis is on the owner to retorque after wheels have been off.

I've had old guys that say I've never done it for 20 years.

Well they have been lucky and back then the didnt have chitty aluminum rims

sent from my htc

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that sucks! Glad to hear everyone who has had an issue is ok and no one hurt. yeah max torque on the dmax would be 140 and most likely snapped studs were from over torque. The tire shop should replace all studs as I would guess there are probably some other studs that are stretched just waiting to pop. The aftermarket rims are getting so hit and miss right now. I have already sent back 3 sets of RBP wheels due to faulty manufacturing and warped bolt holes and 2 sets of the Fuel throttles due to bad vibrations. Good thing with MHT is they are working to fix the problem and are being amazing for support but RBP all they say is you mount them you bought them (what a joke when its a factory defect). Hope you get the situation sorted out.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had the same thing happen with a bumper pull dump trailer a few weeks ago, 7/8 studs broke right off. the 8th was just hanging on... we were thinking its a combination wrong rim and over tightening

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just posted this on summitric s winter tire thread then saw your thread.
Been running "OPEN COUNTRY WLT1" on a set of XD alum rims but two years in a row I've had wheel studs break just on the front. I torq them to 135 atleast 3 x this last year and went to change back to summers 3 studs broke. The nuts are coming apart too. I had the inside of a nut piano wire on two other nuts too. I'm kinda at a loss. Gunna try and get better nuts! Anyone have this happen? First year was pass side second was drivers. I rotate every time I put them on so backs come to front.

i could maybe believe I over torqued or not re torqued the first year I'm not reay sure I think I did but the second year without a doute I torqued I was the only one who touched those rims.. I used a caled snapon torq wrench too. It must be the rims I'm guessing or the nuts!
i bought them from kx wheels. Ill call them today

Last edited:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Emailed KX they said they have never had that problem before but he is forwarding my email to The manufacture. Glad to see they got back to me so quickly. KX was very good to deal with when I bought my stuff from them. I have recommended them several times before.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is, 1 broke stud, replace 3 studs. Because the studs on either side of the broken stud have more load/stress/etc on them. So you have 3 broken, you need to have 9 replaced @ minium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom